6.05.2011

Minneapolis Marathon

To be honest, I don't even know how to recap this race. I'll just blather and hope it makes sense...or at least a little.
Today was the Minneapolis Marathon. It is the second year I have run it (shout out to Richelle for the giveaway that paid my entry!) I remembered (too late obviously) that I swore I'd never run it again because of the heat last year. (sometimes my intellect scares me) 
I watched the weather forecast all week, anxious, anxious...Actually, up until Friday, it looked great. By Friday, there was a new forecast high of 82 degrees and sunny. Which is perfect Minnesota weekend weather...just not really great running weather. 
I do not do well running in heat, and this year has been odd in Minnesota fine, who am I kidding, it is always odd weather here, as we have gone from cold to hot, cold (we were all freezing on Wednesday) to hot again. 
Honestly, I hate "blaming" my performance on the weather. It makes me feel like I am making excuses. It doesn't change the outcome, nor does it change my feeling of how it went. 
Moving on nobody likes a pity party sara
The first 13 miles? Awesome. I was slightly worried when at 6:45 a.m. I did not need any layers, and could see NO (none, zero, nada, would it kill us to get ONE 100 mile long cloud?!) clouds in the sky. There was a slight breeze, plenty of shade, my pace feel great at 9:30 minute/miles. Actually, I felt like I was holding back a bit, but wanted to be careful for the second half, where I knew it would be warm with little to no shade. 
Miles 14-16? Started warming up. I was already wet, but this is where I started to feel the effects more and more. I did some dry heaving somewhere in the 15-18 mile range, but not sure where. It is pretty much a blank right now! My pace slowed, and the fact that I had had to go to the bathroom before the race started but no longer needed too was worrisome. (I took it as a sign that my body needed those fluids again and somehow magically reabsorbed them as electrolytes with wings.)


Here I am at mile 18.5- all fresh as a daisy and secretly hoping I'd pass out. 
From here out it was brutal. The sun was hot, the breeze was gone and there was no shade. The other runners and I were making jokes about how we loved running in the heat, while the (very few) spectators gave us sympathetic glances and yelled, "You are so brave!" or stupid
A few things that may have ran through my head:
-Who hid the shade?
-Stupid stupid stupid
-Why am I not able to keep my feet on the trail? And why does the top half of my body seem to be leaning to the left, while the bottom is headed right? 
-Spots, oh the pretty spots!
- Oh, spots.
- Is it possible for my stomach to spontaneously combust? If so, this is going to be embarrassing. 

I had to stop at a med tent for a bit somewhere (again, can't remember where- somewhere in the 20's!) but headed back out when I could prove I knew how many fingers they held up and stuff. 
I was mad at myself for awhile. Mad that the heat was bothering me, telling myself that it wasn't bothering others as much, that really, it was my training, food, me that was the problem. 
But really? My body felt good. I had no aches, pains, hurting knees, never felt a ting from my IT band, nothing. I just don't handle heat and humidity well. I never have. 
I dropped back...and back...and back...and finally hit the 4:45 pacer. I had already accepted that this would be my PWRSF (personal worst race so far) and was honestly surprised I hadn't hit the 5:00 group. Every time I tried to pick up my pace a bit, my stomach would go ballistic. Around mile 22-23, I felt my fingers tingling, looked down, and noticed that my fingers were swollen and my rings were pinching at my circulation. I got them off...luckily! and kept running. 
To sum it up: The last few miles were tough. 
I was dehydrated, seeing spots, my body was weaving, and I couldn't seem to get it to move in a straight line. (fine, that is a problem for me even on a regular run)
Did I finish? Yes. 
Am I happy with my time? NO! (4:50- my PR is 4:09 and my slowest was 4:36 before today) 
Moreover, I am just sad I didn't enjoy the race. Each marathon comes with its own challenges, yet each one has parts to it I adore. There is always a time in the late teens/early 20's that I think to myself, "I love this sport, I love seeing the people out here doing it, I am so blessed to be able to be out here." 
Not this one. 
As the 4:45 pacer put it, "We are out here to finish. Right now, our only goal is to make it to the finish line without collapsing. Focus on that. Everyone comes out of this race alive today." 
(well, I'd like to challenge her definition of "alive") 
Right now? 
My head hurts- bad. 
My stomach hurts.
I feel sick to my stomach (note to self: this may be why it hurts) 
I'm still fairly disoriented at times! It has taken me 2 hours to type this much. 
No, it wasn't a "great" race, but it did teach me to continue on in hard circumstances, endure, and heave.
One of my friends ran it and said, "I am retiring from running marathons after today's race. It was brutal and the heat killed me." 
I don't blame her!
However, I don't think I am done quite yet. The medals are rather shiny and addictive, and I don't want to "leave" on a low note. I run for the freedom, hardship, joy, and community of it. Some races bite, and some are awesome- let's hope my next is the latter!

 I'm going to go take a few advil now...like about a million. If I can get up from the couch. (Which reminds me, I hate leather couches. Seriously.)

post signature

36 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I can't even begin to express how impressed I am!

Anonymous said...

June marathoning in MN is so tricky! Sorry the heat reared it's ugly head for you - celebrate that finish! You worked hard to cross that finish line! Mother nature is a bitch!

Sarah said...

That does not sound fun. And the worst is when you feel great otherwise, and the weather is what holds you back. Hope you're recovering quickly!

King J's Queen said...

You made me overheat just reading that. I hope you are feeling much better today. You still rock...even in the heat!! (This is why our marathons are in March/April and October/November.

Curiosity question - Does Gatorade (or equivalent) help to recover? I know not of what I speak, hence the question.

Cool Gal said...

That's quite an accomplishment. I ran 4 miles in the same heat yesterday and it just about killed me. I can't even imagine!

Congrats to you for overcoming the challenge! :)

Kaci said...

Wow Sara! Kudos for finishing, can't believe you saw spots! SCARY. XO

alison said...

i don't know how you did that....both for the mileage AND the heat. right now...here in the humid FLA, if i don't get up at 6:00 a.m. to run (2 miles *ahem*!!), it doesn't happen. our temps are hitting 100 degrees with heat indexes pushing it higher. so to say that i am impressed with you running a bajillion miles in 85 degree weather is a vast understatement!!!

Kmama said...

I'm just amazed that you can actually run that far, heat or no heat. I'm glad you were able to finish and learned something from it. You are super woman!

Sarah Jane said...

Argh! It WAS hot. I ran the Grand Old Day 8K and was dripping. I impressed with your drive to keep going! A friend ran the Mpls. 1/2 and totally bonked, too. And now for a few 90 degree days!:)

The Stiffs said...

You finished. There are not many people who ever finish a marathon. Might not have been your best time but it was a proud moment and an accomplishment!

bobbi said...

Ugh.

So sorry the weather gods were so unkind to you. After Chicago last year, you just described my BIGGEST fear for Grandma's. I keep weather stalking saying PLEASE PLEASE ANYTHING BUT HEAT.

GREAT job finishing! And not collapsing! (In Chicago on Saturday during the 13.1 half, a 22 year old did collapse. And he died. Heat is no joke...)

Sara said...

This effort is still super impressive, but I get that you wanted it to be better. If it helps? I ran 1.5 miles the other day and puked when I was done. So your marathon stamina? Is pretty awesome to me.

Meghan said...

Congrats, girl! The heat can be such a scary thing when running, and it sucks to have to sacrifice performance for being safe - but it's the right call! You're still a major rockstar in my book!

susan said...

so sorry about the heat. ewwwww. at least you finished though. sometimes our goals change day by day.

hope you are feeling better by today. :)

Barbaloot said...

The fact that you say something like "the FIRST 13 miles" meaning there are STILL 13 more miles. Yuck.

Glad you came out okay---hope recovery is fast:)

Teamarcia said...

Gosh girl my heart goes out to you cuz heat like that bites big time! I suck at running in heat. Wow spots? Huge kudos to you for finishing!!!
The Antarctica marathon starts sounding good to me after reading reports like this.
Feel better!

"Cookie" said...

You rock!! Even though it was a crappy race in your terms, you finished!! That is awesome!! Hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

Kelli said...

First of all, props. Mad props. I can't get myself up off the couch and I have all the time in the world. The heat sucks. We've already seen 100 degree days down here and June just started. It's like Mother Natures cruel joke. Keep running. The bad races make the good races all the better. And, you didn't die!

Maia said...

How did I not know you were running this?? It was so hot...I checked the weather afterward and was floored that the humidity wasn't really that high. I don't know why, but it felt soooooo hot. Way to finish and stick with it. I think I was super dehydrated afterward- I felt like I had a bladder infection all day despite all the fluids I took throughout the marathon and all day afterward (sorry, tmi). That hill in Fort Snelling was KILLER!

Tara said...

Way to stick it out and finish! I bet everybody's times were off even #1. I hope you have fully recovered and are ready for the next one! You have all my respect...

Kayla said...

Whether or not you're happy with your time, at least it was another marathon under your belt! You finished...and didn't die!!

I'm impressed regardless of your time.

Annsterw said...

You are awesome!! I would never have signed up let alone completed it...congrats to you for finishing!!!!!!

Foursons said...

Please tell me what the humidity was because honestly? 82 degrees sounds ideal!!! What are the temps you normally run in? By the way- proud of you for finishing the race! You did good girl. Be proud of yourself.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You rock! I hate running my measly 3-5 miles in the heat, I can't imagine running a marathon in the heat or any temperatures.

Bari said...

Oh my goodness, Sara - I can't run 3 miles in weather like that and you ran 26.2. You either need an extra medal or for someone to smack you! Seeing spots and weaving are NOT good signs, my dear. I'm glad you finished and came out of it relatively unscathed. Congrats on finishing. You rock.

Miller Racing Family said...

Bless your heart. Wow, through all that I am so impressed that you finished the race. You should be proud of yourself for that fact only. Take it easy today!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm proud of you for finishing in the heat! That is a big accomplishment!

Jen said...

Congratulations on finishing. Seriously I hate the heat too and it's hard to acclimate to it when its hot/cold/hot/cold/hot. I am really impressed!

Missy said...

You are SuperWoman!!!!
This is amazing!

I hate to sit/lie on leather couches!!!

Richelle said...

I'm so proud of you Sara for running a marathon in that heat! I'm sorry that the race didn't go better for you, but you finished and that in itself is a huge accomplishment. Hasn't the weather been crazy?!

Cheeseboy said...

Nice job. And you're brave. Not stupid. Okay, slightly stupid, but way more brave than stupid.

amanda said...

regardless you rock. my goal is to run around our block...4 miles. i can't imagine 26.2! way to go!

Nicole said...

Awesome you continued on after you stopped at the med place! Go you!!! I can't imagine running that many miles, you amaze me!!! I think the most important thing is to always keep going, continue on, in yoga I always remind myself of that!

Amy said...

I am proud of you.. Just be careful out there. I do not want something to happen to you..

Together We Save said...

Oh wow - so very impressive!!

Jessica said...

Congratulations on even doing this - let alone twice - and finishing. I probably would have stopped at the med tent, put my feet up and asked for a margarita!