So, in my last post, I was freaking out a bit because the stomach issues were cramping my efforts with running, and I am set to pace my sister for the Twin Cities Marathon here in a few short weeks. (Fine, all weeks are the same length, but some seem shorter, don't they?)
I decided it was do or die time. I set today as the day I was going to run the 20 miler, whether it killed me or not. If it did, well then that answered my question on whether I would be able to run with my sis. If not? I'd probably wish it had. I had a meeting today, so I didn't have group, and it was opportune time, right?
Being me, I decided it would be best to eat breakfast and let that settle a bit before starting. I fell asleep. (Dear Naps, you complete me. No lie) Then I figured I'd better eat lunch. Then that had to settle. ( I was loading up to have energy and all you know.)
Finally I dragged my bum out there. Um, who set up the wind machine in my neighborhood? #fail
I struggled through the first 5 miles, just feeling lazy and out of it. I started to settle in after that and enjoy the views. By mile 12, I had that familiar feeling I love- where my legs start to numb out a bit- and everything goes easier after that. I also played around with eating Gu Chomps one every 20 minutes or so, rather than taking 3-4 at once. I am hoping putting carbs in at a slower, steadier rate helps calm my stomach, rather than a shot all at once.
Mile 17? Sang some Adele. She's got nothin' on me. except talent and a good singing voice
Mile 18? Loooonnnggg, like that one mile on EVERY 1/2 and full marathon where somebody moves the mile marker about a half mile further than they were supposed to, and it goes on forever? I know they do that just to mess with us.
I finally finished. 20.25 miles, with an average pace around 9:50/mile, which is fine with me.
Then? My dad had taken the boys to pick out hockey skates, so when my friend asked if I wanted to go to Zumba tonight, I figured, why not? I mean, the more time on my feet the better, right? Besides, if you have seen me Zumba, you would realize it really requires little energy. I basically stand there and try to figure out what foot I am supposed to be on...and trip. My friend is the instructor so she can't laugh at me though, which does help. She also didn't take it easy on me though.
I am pretty sure tomorrow I am going to pay for this. Big time. But you know? Stupid ideas have never been a problem for me, so why stop now?
19 comments:
Ready for a confession?
I was a gymnast. I am also the most uncoordinated person you will ever meet. I cannot Zumba, line dance or even electric slide.
Honestly, walking takes great effort at times.
Also - I am so jealous of that nap!
I have the best idea EVER... are you ready for it? Take a video of you trying to Zumba! Brilliant right? OK.. Ready.. set......GO!
20 miles AND Zumba? Girl- I don't know how you do it. I do understand the nap part. I just woke up from one that lasted 1.5 hours and it is now 10:30am. Pretty nice, huh?
So how did your stomach handle the run?
I admire yet hate you, all at once. :)
Shut the front door....you ran 20 miles???? And then went to a Zumba class.
Can you do me a favor? Bottle up just a little bit of your energy and stamina and ship it to me. Pretty please!!!
I agree with Erin. We NEED to see this video. While I don't push myself to ridiculous levels with exercising, I do currently have a cake dummy on the island that needs finishing, a chair that I've ripped halfway down to the bare wood in the spare room and a hutch that is in the laundry room and the top is in the hallway that need second and third coats of paint.
We're all crazy in our own ways. It's what makes us special.
I am so impressed that you can run like that....and then go to Zumba, even if all you do is stand there. I can barely run four miles without feeling like I might die.
Way to go on getting it done!
No one ever said runners were sane. In fact, I think anyone training for a marathon is pretty much certifiable. Myself included.
As for your 9:50 average pace? I'm totally impressed.
i get all excited when I run a mile in 10 minutes... but 20 @ under 10/mi...???? ::sigh::
AND THEN ZUMBA?!
:)
I think you know what Zumba would've done to me after 20.25 miles: my hamstrings would have rolled up like shades in defiance.
woot for 20+ girl! you are ready to rumble!
I've never tried Zumba, but do run and know the feeling. HOWEVER, I've never gone farther than six miles! LOL...20...that's really impressive - training or not! :)
You ran 20+ miles and I watched two seasons of The West Wing for the third time. So, a productive day for us both:) Seriously, I'm impressed!
Ohh zumba sounds like fun and yes to answer your question- you ae crazy but in a good way! That is why I love ya! Congrats on getting the 20 miles done. I think that is a huge accomplishment
That is a lot exercise girl! I would be unconscious.
thats just crazy!
I can't even imagine running 20 miles. I can barely run 20 feet. I also can't do Zumba, because I can not follow choreography. So basically I just go through life planted on my butt.
Sara- Wow what a day! haha I can't imagine running 20 miles. I am just starting to work up to 3 again. You inspire me!
Oh and I love Zumba... mainly because 1) it teaches me to laugh at myself 2) music is awesome 3) I am hoping that SOMEDAY I will get the coordination to to a dance perfectly... haha Still hopin! Glad there's lots of others out there like me!
You are my hero. :)
I hope the next day wasn't too painful for you! You would have had to scrape me off the road halfway through that run!
Post a Comment