As we all griped, shared stories and such, our friend Aly (Whose cheerful, happy disposition is like a drug. Even when she is mad, she is so happy and upbeat that it kills you. You can't help but start thinking rainbows and butterflies after 14.6 seconds in her presence.)
Her response? "I love my monthly cycle. I think it is so beautiful, such a sign of feminism and the beauty of the female body."
We stared at her for a moment. I mean, the girl is a happy camper and all, but seriously?
Someone chimes in, "Oh, you must not get cramps then."
"Oh, yes I do. Pretty bad actually. I usually have to stay in bed all day, but I think that is a beautiful thing. It allows me to embrace my body, breathe with my cramps, and have time to myself."
After I picked up my jaw, I thought it through a bit. Maybe she was on to something? I had a couple of weeks to think it over before I would need to do my embracing.
Well, I tried it.
I (tried) to smile as I threatened the members of my family when they left laundry out...
I held out for an additional 3.7 seconds before grabbing that Reese's...
When I realized how bloated I was? I embraced it as part of being a woman before freaking out and cussing for the next 24 hours over my body...
I only cried for few minutes when I couldn't find anything to wear...
Anyway, that crap lasted about 2 minutes before I threw in the towel and grabbed the Midol. Embrace feminism? I'll let other women be the real woman. Hand me the drugs. Seriously, it is safer for all people in a 100 mile radius of me.
30 comments:
Heh! Truth. So glad I sent Aunt Flo packing years ago.
I want some of whatever she's having!
I am a raving whiny bitch when Aunt Flo is visiting. I'm not embracing a darned thing!
LOL! Its hard to be positive during that time, but I have to agree with your friend about it giving you time alone to yourself to focus on you and allow your body to go through what it needs to! embrace your cramps! :)
girl...i am WITH you on that. i start raging about 2 weeks beforehand.....so my husband and kids get "nice" mommy for about 2 days a month ;)
Wow more power to your friend but wow...um ya I'm with you. =)
So not something I like to embrace. Althought not having that issue at the moment I am sure not looking forward to it once the baby arrives!
The best part of having been pregnant/breastfeeding? I haven't had to embrace a cycle since April 2010 - I'm getting the hubby a hotel room whenever she decides to come back. Its not going to be pretty!
I think the person that said she embraces it is on drugs. Maybe not Midol, but something else to make her think that way. LOL
Umm, yeah no thanks on that part of being a girl! HATE IT! :(
Good for her for being such a positive, happy person!! Obviously, she's a great friend to have and be around. I'm with you though.... I'll embrace feminism to a point but some things are just beyond me. :)
I don't get cramps or PMS, and yet I still don't embrace my cycle.
I don't miss those days at all.
I haven't had a cycle since 2001 (due to pregnancy and the result of a complicated delivery)
The only reason on earth I miss it is for the actual bona-fide excuse to be all cranky and eat gobs of chocolate.
Without the excuse, I just come off as being bitchy every now and then :)
I am so with you girl! I hate the mood swings the week before.
Hope you are have a good week!
Blessings!
I hear ya. For me, it's been 49 days since that "special time" last showed up. I'm normally on a 26-day cycle, so for the past 23 days I haven't worn anything lighter than dark brown below the waist, and am carrying an entire flotilla's worth of sanitary supplies.
Enough with the perimenopausal stuff. Just PAUSE already!
/hijack (oops!)
Sister, go ahead pass me whatever drugs SHE'S on...
I like how you smiled as you made threats. :-) I'm all for feminism but monthly cramps? Er no.
Amen sister. There's nothing good to embrace about monthly events. Nothing.
Bwaaahaahaa! I've never heard anyone that likes their cycle...never!!
Seriously? She embraces her period? That's not happy, that's crazy.
I can understand being happy that you get to be in bed all day...how does that work with kids though? If every month someone came and took care of my kids so I could lie in bed, I'd love my period too.
Otherwise, that's nuts.
Haha, I'm with you!!!
I won't lie when I say the not having my period part of being pregnant is fabulous! I don't have that bad of periods but I in no way enjoy them.
We could be BFF's. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING? <--not yelling...just asking loudly.
Aly sounds like she needs a punch in the face. I'll take the drugs too. Chances are, she doesn't even GET cramps. Yep, she needs to breathe my fist.
I probably shouldn't comment on new people's blogs while pms'ing. It's bad for business.
Oh Sara I love your writing!! (I am big believer in the extra little things we have to say-- with the use of paratheses etc...)
I think we have all been in this place- the desire to have self-control and "grin and bare it" and then the urge to rage wildly. I have had some moments myself... tee hee
I am glad you saw the shout out in my blog post!! I could have written a much nicer post about you, but I got inspired to write when I should've been getting ready for work. lol
Thanks for sharing your life, the good bad and all that is in between! Cheering for you gal!
What?? LOL! I embrace the Midol as well, my friend! :)
Yeah, there is no way I am embracing that. So happy that I don't typically have to deal with it so much anymore. I used to have take days off work and found myself in the hospital mistaken with apendicitis on TWO separate occasions due to old aunt flo. Now that I am a mom, there is no way I could make my husband stay home every month to take care of the kids because I am incapacitated due to pain. I skip Midol and have a dr pepper and 4 advil. Mirena has done wonders for reducing my problem.
I'm so behind - but I had to say, I'm SO WITH YOU on this post ;)
That's what I think about having a "natural birth." I'll embrace feminism some other way!
Very funny and so true....thats a whole lot of happy Aly has!
Just found your blog...glad I did.
m
I can't believe she enjoys her periods. I don't enjoy mine!
Post a Comment