9.11.2011

Post with Plenty of Side Notes

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.     -Plato

When I started my intensive treatment earlier this summer I didn't go into a lot of detail with people. I wasn't ready- it was all too much, too quickly, too much to take in. 
Yes, I "knew" it was coming. We had discussed it, and how it might be the best option for me if I were not making the progress I needed during the months of April/May. Still, when my therapist suggested we begin to fill out the paperwork, and called to see how long the waiting list to enter was, I was shocked. (Hey, don't accuse me of being bright here, okay? Or mature. I may/may not have stuck my tongue out at him when he turned to dial the phone.) 
While I sat there, crossing my fingers the wait list was uber long, I was even more shocked to hear I could start intake the next day, and possibly start the following week. 
It was hard, very hard, to go through the intake process. The meeting with the clinical manager of the group, the dietician, the med doctor (in which we found I had an extended QTC which meant I had to have weekly EKG's), talk to family and friends, arrange daycare, look at what would happen with my job...I was a bit overwhelmed. 
I spent the first week pissed at the world. Pissed at my therapist for putting me in there (Okay, I am an adult, but he totally suggested it, therefore, I assigned all blame to him.) 
I was +positive+ after my first 15 minutes on my first day that there had been a terrible mistake. Clearly, clearly, I was not in the same league as these people. There was an error. 

No one kicked me out or suggested otherwise though which tanned my hide (if that is a correct euphemism to use here, not sure, but the point? I was sure someone was off their rocker, and it was NOT me.) 

Second week? I started to adjust- little by little. I may have even talked a little bit. And maybe, just maybe, I started to see the ways in which this could benefit me. I also had to talk to my school district about a leave of absence...uh, that was fun. Side note: In case you are wondering, I do not appear to be anorexic, I appear to be healthy, I don't look like I need help, and people may wonder if I am "working" the system. (Side note on this side note: yes, I am working the system, to the tune of it costing our family $2000/month out of pocket...)  I think it took me a good week if by week you mean way longer than a week to process that. Not to mention having to deal with rumors, talking, and all that goes along with people finding out you are on a leave.

Basically, that was my long, convoluted way of telling you it took me some time to adjust. Which I did say in the first paragraph, but in true Sara fashion, I felt the need to elaborate. 

Now? I am several weeks in and making good progress. Yes there are a few things that I'm struggling with. 
Hello bad horrible rotten killin me body image 
My stomach? Doesn't digest food quickly, so I am full all the time. Which sounds nice but try eating when you feel like you have morning sickness. 
Running? Has been hard because of it too. I am supposed to pace my sister in the Twin Cities Marathon in a few weeks here, but I need to get my stomach crud figured out before...cause every run has been junk with that. I'm shooting for a long run sometime this week and will use that as a gauge. 
I keep adjusting my meal plan to what I feel is a good amount, but my silly dietician keeps changing it back. (Like having a degree in nutrition makes her an expert or something? I mean, she didn't even let me count my adult beverages as fats for the day. In my world it worked.) 


Recovery is a journey- one with setbacks, triumphs, trials, sloppy jo day at therapy, which was pretty much the worst day of my life- but the overall journey is beautiful.


post signature

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you...I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. Chin up! The important thing is that you are getting help. All the rest will fall into place.

The Stiffs said...

So so proud of you! Keep going!

Bari said...

I'm thinking positive thoughts for you Sara. Kudos to you for taking these steps to heal and get healthy. (hugs)

susan said...

forget whatever those negative nancy's around you think. i think you are incredibly brave for doing what you are doing!! i am so proud of you!!! way to go and keep up the hard work!

love ya!

Rachel said...

Simply... I am glad you are doing this. For you and those you love.

Nicole said...

I admire your strength for doing this. Body work and spiritual work are a pair and effect one another, and I think it takes so much courage to be doing what you're doing. Good Luck, one day at a time!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Forget the losers who have nothing good to say and bring you down. Remember you are amazing, a wonderful, beautiful person inside and out and you are doing a great job in your recovery! We are all cheering for you!

Kmama said...

I have been thinking of you, hoping to see an update. I'm so glad you are doing okay. Even if you are struggling, I'm just glad to hear that you are OKAY.

Hang in there. You are so strong. You can do this. You ARE doing this.

"Cookie" said...

You, my friend, are awesome!! You're doing what you need to do for you and your family. Sending positive thoughts & lots of hugs your way!!

Audreya said...

There's a reason "One day at a time" is such a popular expression. You're a fighter and you're going to beat this disease. Just keep taking it day by day and know we're all pulling for you!!!

bobbi said...

I have been thinking about you all summer...I'm so glad you are finding your way through this, and getting the help that you need.

I would love to meet you at TCM if we can work it out - good luck getting your stomach stuff figured out!

Kristy said...

I'll second that, YOU'RE AWESOME! :)

Kelli said...

It's going to be hard, it's going to suck, but when you cross that 'finish line' you're going to look back and be so glad that you did this.
Just remember, you rock.

Barbaloot said...

I appreciate how honest you are with all of this. I'm sure it's sometimes awful and horrible, but you're willing to do it and I think you are so strong for it!

Erin said...

I Love You. Yes, that is all.

KSK said...

I'm so glad that you are getting the help you need... even though it sounds like it pretty much sucks.
Keep on keepin' on!!

Jamie said...

Good for you for being strong enough to get the help you need no matter what! Thinking of you!

Amy said...

you keep going.. I am so proud of you.. Hugs..

Furry Bottoms said...

Would you be offended if I was giggling a little at how you described your first few days? You were pissed, blaming your therapist for being where you were, etc etc. I know that exact feeling. Been there. Even though you know you voluntarily went in, it was still the therapist's idea. Oh yeah, I understand that.

I know what you're doing is NOT easy at all, but it'll be the best thing you've ever done for you and your family in the long run.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Keep it up. You are stronger than you realize.

Teamarcia said...

Ok I was going to say how awesome you are for pushing thru all the obstacles until I saw the Twin Cities part. I have to meet you! Woot for pacing your sister! Could you drag me across the finish line as well?

Liz Mays said...

I am so proud of you for taking this head on and fighting. So, so, so proud! Luv you!

Miller Racing Family said...

I will keep praying for you! Keep up the hard work, the journey is totally worth it!
Blessings!

Sarah said...

I agree with all the others- keep at it! Getting started was probably the hardest part, and it sounds like you've already accomplished a lot.

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear you're struggling with this. Not sure how much it helps but if you ever need anything just email! Take care of yourself.

Jen said...

I am sure the process is infinitely harder than anyone can imagine. Keep at it. You'll get there!

King J's Queen said...

I'm proud of you for sticking with it. Keep it up! Take care, my friend!!

Tara said...

Keep up the good work! You are going to kick some tail and look back realizing it was all worth it and exactly what you needed.

Di said...

So happy you are sticking with it. You can do this! I personally think eating to gain weight is much harder then to lose weight having been there!

Shell said...

Sending you prayers. You are one strong woman!

alison said...

it's so hard to readjust...but it sounds like you are getting there! i'm so proud of you for putting your health first instead of work and other things.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm sure it's incredibly difficult, but I'm so happy you're making progress!

Holly said...

I think you're super brave and getting stronger every week. It's awesome to hear you are making progress. Leave the dullards in the dust.

Wanted to tweet you this morning but ran out of time. Was going to tell you how panicked I was that there's a construction project going on behind my house and how someone back there could be an ax murderer.

Jen said...

So sorry you're struggling right now. I'll send prayers as well.

Annsterw said...

So glad that you are doing what is necessary to take care of you!!!! Forget all the other people and all their comments - that is their issues!!! Very proud of you for admitting and getting help - hand in there...as a fellow person in "recovery" I totally understand and support you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying that is gets easier day by day!