I figured I would get my recap of the TCM out before I forget everything
I had mentioned a while back that I was planning to pace my sister through her first marathon, while worried about the super stomach issues I've been having...and that I wore stupid girl shoes and gave myself some sweet blisters the Wednesday before the run...both of which were going to serve me well!
Anyway, I knew that since it was not going to be a PR race, and that I could make it, I would just go and enjoy the race. The TCM is beautiful course, the spectators are amazing, and it is extremely well managed. The day before, we went to a couple of apple orchards and a fall train ride to see the leaves. (nothing like staying off your feet the day before, right?)

We also were lucky enough to stroll through this corn maze. It was really comfortable on the feet, stepping on all that corn and broken off stalks...
My sister decided she was not ready to run a marathon, but her boyfriend had signed up and was running, so we decided to run together. His goal was to not die, which sounded like a good plan to me as well. Although dying during a marathon garners you some media coverage, it doesn't have much benefits beyond that, you know?
Since my ADHD is kicking in, I think I'll bullet the highlights of the race. (people with adhd LOVE bullets, they are so eye friendly...and of course, I mean the • bullets, not real ones. those? don'tloveatall)
• Prerace and first several miles? Vinh and I were chatting up a storm. Talking about life, apartments, cars, college, you name it. (I wasn't going to press to hard on his intentions for my sister until he was a bit more fatigued...figured delirium would set in and he would be more open. However, he must be pretty serious, because the guy has survived 2 outings with our entire family, which could take any sane person down fast.not to mention the fact my sis is a nutjob)
• Best signs I saw along the way?
Worse Parade Ever
26.2, because 26.3 would be crazy
Run! The zombies are coming!
Running looks good on you!
Chaffe now, pride forever
My greatest fear is having to run a marathon. -Jillian Michaels
I feel the same about you Target.
• Who, who put all the hills in the course? I so do not remember them from '09 or '10. I told Vinh around mile 9 that I was done with the hills, and there had better not be any more the rest of the course. That worked out well for me.
• By mile 13, our (and by our, I mean mostly me, since I do most of the talking anyway) talking had slowed down some. My lower back was hurting (some dork had managed to fall down the stairs that morning) and Vinh was starting to feel some pain in his shins.
• Mile 14, 15, 16, 17...spent looking for a porta potty with a line shorter than 13 people. Also discussed why it is nice to be a man in these types of situations, as they can duck into the bushes. • Mile 18: Realized it would be better to wait in line than to...not...
• Miles 19, 20, 21, 22: We walked through the water stops (Vinh's shins were really starting to hurt him at this point. By mile 22, he was hobbling a bit.) Everytime we started again, we would see how many steps we could take before moaning in pain and using colorful language.
• I text my sister, asking where in the world she was. We needed some cheer, and she was nowhere to be found. She let us know she, Elijah, and my nephew would be cheering us on at the MILE 26 MARKER. #sisterfail

Post race? We were sore, but happy. And by happy, I mean besides the fact there was not ONE porta potty with toilet paper in it, because that was not cool. Nor was the fact my sister parked 3.5 bajillion miles away from the end. She was all, "Well, if I parked closer I would have had to pay $3! This spot was free!" I totally hit her in the head with one of those medtronic blowup things. I'd have taken her down, but I needed her to drive because I wasn't feeling up to it.
A couple of people asked me if I was disappointed by our time - 4:46. My answer? No. I knew going into this race it would not be a PR. My training this year has been off, in fact, I did not follow a plan at all, or do any crosstraining besides Zumba. I feel like I knew going into this year that my times would be really far off. All through my training (from March on) I kept telling myself, "Everyone has a bad year, when their times are down, or they aren't feeling the greatest." I believe I gave myself a self fulfilling prophecy in this way. That was a mistake, and unnecessary for me.
Although? It was the first year since I started running 5 years ago that I ran and trained with friends. It was a new- and awesome- experience for me to run a race with friends. There is something amazing about pushing through those hard points in a race with a friend by your side, bonding over stomach pains, laughing over blisters...I needed these experiences to recapture some of the joy of running.
Besides, running 3 marathons, 2 half marathons, and a Warrior Dash in less than 5 months is pretty sweet to me!

44 comments:
I love those signs, especially "because 26.3 would be crazy." Too funny. All those races in 5 months is seriously awesome!
You rock! It was a marathon! I can not believe anyone would ever ask if you were disappointed because holy crap! you finished!!!
You are amazing! I am in awe! i aim to be able to do exactly what you do- run a marathon for the heck of it! You are one bad arce momma!
Shoot, I wish I had your preseverance! You're so amazing, Sara.
Ummm...yeah. I would say all those races in 5 months time is more than awesome! Wow, you are an inspiration to me.
I'm still not going more than 3 miles, but one day I will. I have been looking forward to cooler weather all these months and I forgot that it brings in severe allergies with it. *sigh* I'll get there, I just need to keep at it.
Oh, and those signs seriously cracked me up! 26.3 miles? Bwhahahahaha.
:) LOVE the signs!
I'm in awe of you running!
Personally, I think 4:45 with essentially no training is pretty awesome. Those signs - cracked me up. I need to make a mental note to remember signs I see next weekend that don't say "med tent".
Good for you!! You guys had a perfect day for the marathon. Love all your "sisterfails" ;)
And yes, Happy Beautiful Fall Weather!
Congrats on your marathon! So fun that your sister and family got involved with it too! There's nothing like doing what you love and having family there too:) love the fall pretty picture with all those gorgeous colors!
Ok, wow. I read this whole thing feeling super impressed with you. And then I read the last lines of this post and I realized that we CAN NOT be friends any longer and I hate that b/c I liked you. But you are doing bad things for my self esteem issues and guilt for not running more than once a week-and by running I mean wogging (walk/jogging) since Ive been sucking it up since June. So you understand, right?
Hahaha, those signs are hilarious!! And wow...you are impressive! I couldn't even run 1/4th of a mile!
You're a machine!!! I haven't mastered running and talking yet :)
I laughed so hard at the Worse Parade Ever one...totally going to rock that sign someday for Jon. LOL! =)
You go girl, you are EPIC!
Love the signs. You are awesome. I'm tired just reading about all those races.
Love the signs!
I am super impressed. I know I couldn't even run half a mile. I think that will be my goal after I lose a ton of weight.
That's a whole lotta racing for an 'off' year girl! Congrats on the finish--still bummed I wasn't there...maybe not so much when you talk about those hills though. EEK!
I'm thinking anytime you finish, that it's a win. It sounds like it was pretty fun being able to chat, complain and use colorful language along the way with your sis's boyfriend. However, hearing about his shins made me grimace with the memory of how bad that hurts!
Your like my hero! How on earth have you done all this! You are like superwoman! Seriously, awesome job- something I could have never been able to accomplish! Love all the pictures!
You are wonderfully insane.
You are so awesome!!
The signs cracked me up.
love the signs, hilarious!
and you are super awesome, my friend!
i SO admire you! congrats on the marathon!
betty xx
Nice work - but there really WEREN'T zombies chasing you, right? *shudder*
I am beyond impressed that you even run one marathon. Phenomenal!
I keep trying to be a runner but it's really just a uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes. Even the 30 minutes can only be acheived while listening to some hard core rap. :)
Way to go on all your running acheivements!
Um, yeah. You are AWESOME! Thank you for the fantastic advice! You made my day--1 more question: How do you mentally deal with knowing you will not have a time you are proud of? How do you deal with your pride or just find joy in finishing? My pulled hammy and knee tell me Im not going to be Ms. Speed demon and I am trying to just find happiness in just being- just finishing. HELP!
You are amazing! I am so impressed. I think I would rather walk the corn maze.
You are my hero!!!! Seriously your are amazing.....
i really stopped reading after the corn maze picture (i've never been to one...but my kids have. they are such world travelers!) because the thought of 26 miles addled my brain.
I definitely need to run a race with you sometime! You would be the best race buddy... I like to listen to other people talking when I'm racing (seriously!). :) Definitely would take my mind off the mileage!
Your sister's boyfriend sounds like a keeper! Did you ever find out what his intentions are? ;-)
I saw a bunch of the signs you mentioned when I ran the 10 Mile and it definitely made me smile.
Sounds like a great weekend. I love the farm pictures. The one with the kiddos is so cute.
Blessings!
You are amazing, woman! And those signs are awesome, too. Way to go!
Three marathons in 5 months? I don't care how long it took you, you are my hero!
Seriously? I still don't know how you do it. I can't. Some people will say they 'wont' versus 'cant.' But really, I wont and cant. It's just that simple. I mean, some of us have to be there to cheer you guys on. Right?
Hip, Hip, Hooray for you! Sounds like a fun adventure. I laughed out loud at all your small print...especially that your sister is a nutjob. Funny, funny, funny! :o)
I loved that your sister's boyfriend's goal was not to die during the marathon. That would probably be my main goal too if I ever had the guts and strength to run one.
You seriously impress me, girl!
you amaze me..
Your posts brighten my day for so many reasons! Who cares about PRs? I don't because I'm not a runner and I think you are nothing short of awesome!
Sara,
Yay for completing the marathon- you had quite the experience! I'm glad you had a good time despite the physical issues.
Your fall weather sounds delightful! I am hoping to see more color here, it makes me happy to see yellow trees.
Thanks for sharing your running & life experiences! YOU ROCK!!! :)
You are SO funny! Glad you made it thru.
Well done! I like the sound of your sister's boyfriend's goal: to not die. Awesome. I've no idea what a PR is, but 4:46 sounds like a very good time to me!
PR or not I think running a marathon is awesome! Great work. I hope to add it to my lists of accomplishments some day. Since I pregnant now running the half marathon I was hoping for this year isn't going to happen but my BFF and I are already talking about training together for a half marathon next fall. Great way to lose the baby weight and get in shape. Awesome job! Running with buddies is so much more fun.
P.S. Your sister should've totally tried to run it even if she had to walk some of the time.
How did I not comment here? Brain!! Come back!
I'm so glad you got to run it with Vinh - and I'm bummed that yet again we failed to connect. But it was super fun "chatting" with you electronically all weekend :)
In total awe of you right now! I was happy that I ran a 5K :)
Post a Comment