I am having the most incredibly stupid attack of conscience in my history (and I have a lot of stupid ones) I have been reading up on our health lately, and the effects of the food we eat on it. More and more I have this nagging feeling that I should be eating natural foods rather than the processed crap my body loves so much. I am utterly convinced that hormones and additives are what is causing women to have so many problems with their cycles. How many of you don't either have a problem with menstration or know someone who does? I have 6 friends who all are under doctors care for problems they should not have under 30- no make that 50- years old. It is crazy and scary to see my young friends battle with problems meant for 25 years from now.
And look at teenage boys feet- they are huge! When I was in high school 10 years ago, boys had size 10-12 feet. Now, at 15, boys with size 13+ are the norm- and they are not done growing. What the heck is in our diets that is causing this?!?
The more I read and research, the more I believe I should be switching my families diet from that of Standard American Norm (SAN) to one that is more healthy and viable. So, what's my problem?
I have no problem going green in other areas. I head up the recycling team at my school, Core and I intentionally purchase vehicles with good gas mileage**, use re-useable bags and try to conserve.
But... to go green with eating? That is just so personal. I mean, I already don't eat red meat- haven't touched the stuff in over 10 years.
I also don't want to be the woman who thinks she is better than others because she eats organic. You know, the person who is like, "sorry, I don't touch sugar or white flour products. I am so much better and more disciplined than you." Those people make me want to vomit.
So, I sit here, sure that the food I eat is making me ill, yet unable to change. I'm going to go research the 21 day detox Oprah did. Maybe that will help me off my SAN.
**If you don't know my hubby, you will know that good gas mileage is very important to him. We bought a new vehicle in May and our conversation went something like this:
C: What kind of car do you want Hon? I want you to pick out whatever you want.
Me: Yeah! A Range Rover?!
C: Be serious. Also, it has to get at least 27+ mpg.
M: Fine. I have always wanted a Volkswagen.
C: Okay, but I am not sure I will fit into a Jetta, and the Passat is just like the sedan we already have. Actually, I have been thinking it would be great to have a hatchback. That would really suit our lifestyle.
So, I research, and come up with the VW Golf. We test drive. Hubby says it is too small, he doesn't fit. On we go...
M: How about a Chevy HHR?
C: Those are girl cars.
M: A Matrix?
C: Those are mostly stick shifts, we want automatic.
This went on for weeks...
3 comments:
My grocery bags are usually about 75% organic. I don't judge anyone who doesn't go organic, but for me, I feel better when I buy organic milk, organic & grass-fed meat, and veggies that aren't coated in pesticides. I made this switch when I started thinking about all of the horrible chemicals that are locked in my berries, and no amount of produce wash will take them out.
My recommendation is to start small. The most important things you can do are switch to organic (or at least RGBh-free) milk, then natural meats (I still buy Gold N Plump because I can't pay a gazillion dollars for Smart Chicken), and thin-skinned produce. If you poke around on the internet, you can find the list of what's worth it to buy organic.
I completely agree on the hormones. I want babies, not amenorrhea!
I know I can be thought of as one of those freaks you describe in regards to cleaning, food, yoga, and the like sometimes, but I have to say that mentally (and probably physically too) I feel so much better when I know Chris, Gohan, and I are eating foods without all the extra additives and things I can’t pronounce. I can’t afford to eat all organic, so I compensate by buying a lot of our dry goods organic, baking and cooking a lot of our stuff so I know what goes in it, and buying healthy snacks and dinners, even if they are not organic. I figure that even if they are not organic, strawberries and cheese will be better snacks than cookies or chips, so we don’t buy those things. Because I will eat them if they are around. I find it much better to just walk right past them in the store in the first place.
And really, some things you do need to develop a taste for, but I actually like it when I can “taste” the “green-ness, organic-ness” of food if that makes sense, even if it’s not as delicious as the processed foods.
Yeah, you are both right. My problem is that I always feel like I have to go full fledge- never the baby steps that make much more sense. I do now have a fridge full of healthy food and am going to make a dent in them! Thanks for the support!
Post a Comment