Patty and I were all ready to go on Sunday (right day this time!) and headed out the door. Of course, being that the race was in Minneapolis, they blocked off all the streets and the rest where one ways. We finally got to the registration table with 15 minutes to spare before it started. Of course, the start line was over a mile from the registration table, but that makes sense, right?
Well, funny enough, it turns out we had the wrong starting line as well. Our time was ticking away and I was 1 1/2 miles from the beginning. We stopped and asked one of the police officers along the way, and he had no idea where the beginning of the race was. We headed in the right direction and found another police officer. I jumped out of the car and asked him (3 minutes to start at this point) and he told me "2 blocks to the east" I took off at a dead sprint. My fuel belt with mini water bottles was not secured, so bottles went flying- I had to stop and pick them up.
3 blocks later- no starting line. 2 blocks further- no start, and I hear the start gun go off. I was still sprinting. I passed people who were kind enough to tell me, "don't worry, it is only 2 blocks away" and "your only a couple of minutes late." I finally made it, ripped off my jacket and took off. Only 4 minutes late and already huffing and puffing. Great start.
It took me 5 miles to get myself in race mind. I had such a crappy start that I couldn't get myself in gear. I felt better when about 20 other people were also late getting to the start. That makes 20/1180 runners who couldn't get with the system. It took me 3 miles to even get close to the pack! Overall, it was a good race and I ran over 16 miles (with my 7 block sprint to the start!!)
Then I came home, made the boys lunch, did laundry, went grocery shopping, made a cake and got ready for a new week. Monday- I nursed shin splints.
1 comment:
If I ran 16 miles on a Sunday morning, I wouldn't be able to function for the rest of the day. HOLY CATS, LADY! Way to go!
Post a Comment