11.16.2008

A follow up..

Update #1= I survived conferences! I actually enjoy them once I get into the groove of them. It is always nice to talk to the parents and have more insight on a student. We as parents, and teachers, see such separate sides of the child sometimes. I enjoy talking to parents, as it helps me round out my understanding of the student. 

Update/Answer Question #2= On Friday I had to channel my inner domestic goddess (man, I disliker her) and clean and organize my house for a family birthday party for Elijah on Saturday night. I also ran 10 miles, which to me was much easier than the whole household goddess junk. I did get a wild hair and decide to make chili, which I have never done before! I even bought some spices! I'd never even heard of Cumin, and now it is on my shelf. (Granted, it will probably get old from non use and be thrown, but it is there.)  I didn't try it, because I don't eat chili, but my mom and dad liked it. 

ON RUNNING... 
I started running 2 years ago, when Asher was about 6 weeks old. I was no longer nursing, and wanted something to jump start the weight loss. I was always the girl in high school who couldn't finish the mile test in Phy Ed. In fact, I would wait until the teacher was busy and cut across the track. 
When we lived in St. Cloud, I was a member of a great,  large gym. We had every type of class imaginable, so I was always motivated. Here in my current town, there is a small gym. My choices were Elliptical, treadmill or bike. (Or a video at home in which my husband swears he will keep the kids out of my way and 10 minutes into the video I have a couple of kids trying to Tae Bo with me while my husband is on the phone/computer/...... ) 
But, as usual, I digress. I hate the elliptical, my feet go numb. I decided to try and run for 1 minute, or 2 and see how I did. A sorry sight, but I made it. I continued to push myself, and would add a minute or 2 each time I ran. The first time I made a mile, it felt like I had won the olympics! However, being highly competitive with myself, I wanted more. By New Years, I had run 5 miles and was hooked. 
I have not run a marathon yet because I am not smart. I didn't have a good enough base built up to go on. I am learning as I go, and becoming a better runner, but it has taken some errors and injuries. Last spring, I went too far, too fast. One week I ran 16 miles (at a time), the next I did a long run of 18 miles, and shot for a 20 mile long run the next week. Too much for a "newer" runner. I hurt my IT band and couldn't run for a month. I'll get there. I am planning to run a marathon this summer. And whether I do it in 4 hours or 6 hours (face it people, I'm slow) , I'll still feel like I won my Olympics. 

4 comments:

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Thanks for the answers! I too, am always so curious about people's "stories"! I can't believe how many people start running later in life(including myself)...I always thought it was only the track kids who continued running...boy was I wrong! I can't wait to follow your ambition for a marathon!

Anonymous said...

I walked my first marathon in Dec 07, and it took me just over 7 hours. Just remember to take plenty of fluids, and have fun it's what is important. And while your running, think of all the other people who are still at home. You can do it, and good luck.

djp said...

I began running this summer and was hoping to do a marathon in October: totally overshot that goal! I hope to do what you did: get a good base before really "pounding the pavement" or,errr treadmill :)

Shell in AZ said...

SO glad to have stumbled across your blog...and thanks for visiting mine! It looks like we have a few things in common, so I'm looking forward to continuing to read your blog :-)