12.11.2008

Love these kids!

I love teaching 4th grade. The kids are hilarious. I have a student who can wiggle her eyeballs (creepy weird, in fact, I told her if she does it in front of me again I'm going to spaz.) Another student manages to incorporate monkeys into everything she does or writes. Their desk are never shutting, they lose their pencils, run out of paper, forget homework and are fantastic.
While teaching science the other day, the students and I were talking about animal adaptations, including hibernation. After going over the types of hibernation, and how the animals are able to hibernate for such extended periods of time, a bright young girl raised her hand, with a disgusted look on her face. I soon saw why.

Student: Mrs. T?
Me: Yes?
Student: If a bear is hibernating, does it ever go to the bathroom on itself?
Me: No, it does not. It is hibernating, and they do not excrete waste when hibernating.
Student: Never? Like, it couldn't accidentaly just 'go' to the bathroom on itself? And not know because it is sleeping?
Me: No. they don't.
Student: Never? Not even on accident?
Me: No, think of it like humans. Do you wet or soil your pants while sleeping?
Student: (Disgusted look) NO!!!
Me: Same for bears.
We move on. We talk about how bears are not "true" hibernators, because they can wake up during warm spells in winter. A hand raises. Yep, it's her...
Student: Mrs. T?
Me: Yes, if a bear wakes up during the winter, it probably does empty it's bladder and bowels before going back to sleep.
Student: Ok!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

legitimate questions I would say!!! But how do you know for sure?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so glad I do not teach the 4th grade! Kudos to you...you have a fun class!