1.13.2009

The post in which I whine a lot

I go to the dentist tonight. Not a big deal, except, I don’t like the dentist.
The memories go back to about 6 years old. I remember sitting in the chair and having the chatty hygienist ask me what flavor fluoride I would like. Grape? Bubblegum? Sure, I’ll take bubblegum. After all, you are trying to teach healthy dental habits, right? Might as well get me used to the taste of wonderful things that are bad for my teeth.
Chatty Hygienist put the fluoride in those {tortuous} little white Styrofoam trays. The minute those little trays hit my mouth I started gagging, squirming, and whipping my head around like a coon in a trap*. Chatty Hygienist finally had mercy on me and took them out. Repeat this pattern every 6 months until, finally, they gave up and quit trying to give me the stuff. Don’t even ask how the x-rays go.
Drills, picks, electric teeth cleaners, teeth scraper thingies?
All reduce me to tears. Literally. When I was 21, my dentist sat down with me and told me that it was time to stop crying at every dental appointment. And he tried the fluoride trays again.
Let’s just say I am not a big girl.
The last time I went to the dentist, I got The Most Thorough Cleaning Lady Ever. I swear she found stuff there from the ‘80’s. My son was braver than me. I felt so proud as he watched the tears roll out of my eyes.
I had a root canal in July (turns out my 67+ year old dentist missed a cavity.) That was ugly. The dentist kept talking about “my poor angry tooth” and how it, “just is not happy today.” Me? I was like, "Quit talking to my teeth lady and get this show on the road."
So, wish me luck today. I am going to cry without shame. After all, it is my mouth. And if it isn’t peanut butter or diet mountain dew, I don’t want it near my mouth.

11 comments:

The Other K Wick said...

Thanks for the comment on my page and I enjoyed reading your witty take on teeth and the Doctors we love to hate. Best of luck today. No worries, big girls DO cry and that's ok.

Christie said...

Oh you have my sympathy, I hate the dentist too, I had rather go to the gynocologist than to have my teeth cleaned!! It's OK to whine about that, good luck!

DESJ and Company said...

that is why I go to a dentist who drugs me up on laughing gas. I also cried my way through appointments. I'm very happy to pay $50 to remain sane.

heidi said...

Oh UGH! You poor thing! Good luck today.

Unknown said...

I love this... its good to know I'm not the only one that despises the dentist. If I walk in a room that smells similar to the way my dentist office smells I have to force myself not to walk out. I have been known to pass out 3 or 4 times when getting cavities filled. Just thinking about going to the dentist makes me get all anxious. Good luck and know that you're not alone!

Sarah said...

I swear she found stuff there from the ‘80’s. LOL!!

I hated going to the dentsit because of those flouride trays. I would throw up every time until we exhaused every flavor and they were sick of cleaning it up!

Hope it's over already!

Tami said...

You poor thing. My husband was like that too. OK - he didn't cry (not that he'll admit anyway.) He put off going until he had serious problems, then he found a new dentist - at the dental college. Apparently, they really take the time to talk you thru the procedures. Maybe you just need a new dentist?

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

Good Luck! I need a root canal, but I also have a fear of the dentist so I keep canceling my appointment. Its ok to cry..

Miss said...

that was HILAROUSLY sad!! =) Thanks for the good laugh!

Stephanie said...

I haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years. How bad is that? I have a tooth that I know will need a root canal and probably a crown, but I just can't make myself go as long as it's not hurting me. Once it starts hurting, I'll go...maybe. Oh, and bring on the laughging gas!

Anonymous said...

You definitely need the gas. It does make it go easier.