2.05.2009

Is this an omen? WARNING! Tangent filled. But what's new? I

So, it is my birthday, and to usher in my 29th year? I am at home with a 2 year old with diarrhea. I can't decide if this is an omen to the year ahead. After all, there have been some good things as well. 
First off? My hubby? Bought me gifts! He never does. He usually says, "hey hon, just go shopping for the day." Now, I am not going to complain about that,  but it does sort of lack, lemme see, thought, planning, foresight, looking ahead to see what you can do to make your wonderful wife's day incredibly special... 
Moving on.. So this year? He got his sneak on and though ahead. It started 2 weeks ago. I was innocently pushing my cart around Target (duh)  and he calls, 
"Hon, what is our paypal login info?"
"Why? What did you buy? You just bought that stupid bike frame." 
"Don't worry about, just give me the paypal info. I need your email login too." 
"Over my dead body. What are you up to?" 
"Worry about yourself and give me the info. Now." (He tried to get all forceful on me! Cute!) 

I did give in an give it to him, after all, if a man is being this sneaky, he must be doing something for me! 
However, being the slightly curious wife I am, I did take a tiny peek at my email (I have an iphone, so I have internet and email on it) to see what he was up to. Just a peek though. He had already gone in and deleted the confirmation, but had forgotten to permantely delete it from the trash file. (not that I noticed) 
So, what did he get me? 
I think it is so sweet! Who knew he had it in him?! (Thanks Kristen!)

 He also got me a shirt that says, "I'm blogging this." He was going to wrap the necklace in a $100 bill, but since I gifted myself the CHI iron and a new handbag, he called it good. 

And yesterday? As I was driving home from work, I called him. (Okay, I do this everyday, because, you know, he must wonder what I've been up to all day. Usually he listens and mutters uh-huh, nice every few minutes, thinking I don't know he is only half 1/4 listening. Then he tells me he has a meeting and has to go. I'm onto him.) He was already on his way home- he never leaves work before 4:30, and it was only 4:23, so I knew he was up to something. You have to wake up before noon to trick me! 
I totally did not buy his excuse that he needed gas, and when he still wasn't home at 5:11, I called him. "Oh, I had to wait for gas." Yeah right, he was buying my card. I took his receipt for gas when he walked in the door, and noticed he pumped gas at 4:59:35 p.m.,
 which left him with 15 minutes to zip into Target and buy me a card. (No, I did not think this through a bit, and NO, I do not have anything better to do with my time.) A man in target for 15 minutes? That is, in man time, an eternity. He could have bought the entire store. Me? I'd have only been past the entryway. 
And yes, he had stopped to buy me a card. I did notice however, it looked sorta familiar, and sure enough, it was the same card as last year. His response? "I thought that looked like I'd seen it before!" Then he took a picture so he doesn't do it again next year. One could hope Hallmark has a new design by then. 
Now? the inaneness of this post is starting to get to me, and I am thinking I should either publish or delete it, so I shall hit publish. I'm going to go change a messy diaper, and eat a 
Little Debbie. Fancy birthday cake? Not for me! 

I'll take a slightly waxy, creme filled, dry yellow cake, heart shaped Little Debbie. Love those things. Something about the high quality, you know, after you spend $1.24 to purchase 10 cakes.. figure in profit margins, ingredient cost, marketing, shipping... mmm.. I am sure these are high quality. 

19 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Love the necklace or is it just the charm? Either way, I really like it.

haha, I have bought my husband the same card twice. I blame it on the card companies too, they should bring out new lines every year. lol

"Cookie" said...

Happy Birthday!!

Nothing wrong with buying a card on the way home. Picking the same one is funny though!! Love the necklace/charm.

Jamie

Crystal said...

I know I have picked the same cards before I look at it, I like it. I think I have seen it before... but not sure lol. You are attracted to the ones you already bought before because well thats why you liked them in the first place because they said something u liked lol. I too get the go shopping.. for my birthday gift but this year we are getting tattoos for our birthdays :-) We are going Monday! His bday is in march and mine in april but we are doing it with taxes before it is drained very quickly from the account lmao.

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

Happy Birthday! The necklace is so sweet! My fiance has bought me the same card two years in a row before too and said the same thing "I thought it looked familiar."

Enjoy your day!

Kameron said...

My hubby doesn't understand the importance of the card. I had to have 2 arguments with him over the course of a year (he didn't get me a card for my VERY FIRST Mother's day) for him to understand he needs to get one, whether he "gets it" or not!

Debbie said...

Happy birthday. I think the necklace is the sweetest gift ever. And don't knock a little Debbie:)

seriously? said...

So, I am going to have my husband read this post and see the picture of your new necklace. Your hubby did good!!! Happy Birthday!!

heidi said...

You crack me up! Happy Birthday to ya! Major brownie points to the hubs this year.

I quit buying cards. You waste, like, four bucks for something that usually gets tossed. Why bother?

Sorry the babe has the squirts. :-(

Jazzy said...

Happy Birthday you crazy old lady! Tell Core he needs to give Ken a few pointers, my birthday is still 4 months away, but he better start prepping him now:)

Kristen Andrews said...

Happy Birthday!
That is a brand new design and you got the very first one sold! I am glad you like it, it is one of my fav pieces! You have a great blog will be adding you to my favorites!

Crystal said...

Send him my way if thats his dream meal its tasty and easy to make :-).

Christie said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope it gets better than the poop fest you had earlier~

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday. Mine is in 4 short days, so we are Aquarius girls together. I couldn't find an email address to respond back to your comment on my blog, so here goes:

1.) On my fab new header, it reads "Dual Income, No Kids Yet, Plenty of Pets". If you take the first letter from each of those words, you get DINKYPOPS. And we are Dinkypops No More ever since we had a kid :) Cheesy, but I was struggling for a blog name!
2.) So glad you loved the Funfetti cookies. Those are my husband's absolute favorites. They are pretty tasty. I could eat the entire bowl of raw dough :)
3.) Have you really run 191 miles this year, as it shows in your sidebar? That's pretty damn impressive!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! You are one funny gal--you were in rare form when you blogged this one! :)

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww!!!! I LOVE that!! I haven't gotten a birthday present from ANYONE...gosh, in I don't know HOW long! I'm lucky to just not have to COOK on my birthday! I HATE cooking! HAAAAAA!!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Happy Birthday! Loved this post! Your husband needs to give my husband some lessons. My husband NEVER plans in advance... he has been known to go out to by a Mother's Day card for me from our daughter at 4:00pm on Mother's Day! Sounds like yours is good enough to keep around for at least another year!

Jenn said...

I'm trying to remember if I got a present from Hubba Hubba on my birthday this year...I guess if I'm trying to remember it, it probably didn't happen. Or if it did, I'm in trouble for forgetting what it was. ;)

At any rate, the necklace is darling!

Cake in any form is always good.

Happy Birthday!

"Cookie" said...

THat stinks about missing a night out b/c of sickness. Hope everyone is feeling better!!

It was great! We had dinner at one of the girlies house. So it was totally relaxed and just fun!

I swear I am already looking forward to next month! :)

Stellan Bracelets said...

That is the sweetest, sugary treat of a post I've seen in a long, long time... with a cherry on top.

He's a keeper!!

There have been a small handful of times where DH has done the whole thought, planning, foresight, looking ahead to see what you can do to make your wonderful wife's day incredibly special... thing, and I swear, he could have bought one Hershey Kiss, and if it involved thought, planning, foresight, and all that, it would have meant the world. I don't need much, I just need him to care, ya know? And sometimes, it would appear as though he does -- years of training are finally getting through! Seriously, each year gets better.


Thanks for NOT deleting this post, I really enjoyed it!