2.26.2009

My Lent-O

Okay, I am giving something up for Lent. If you know me, you know that I consider myself a Jesus follower, but not particularly religious. (Meaning, I love you Jesus, but man, I don't know about religion...) 
Moving along (this seems to be an issue of mine, doesn't it? Trying to get to the point? Do you feel sorry for my students or what!?) 
My students and I were talking about Lent the other day, and about what we might be able to give up. Naturally, they had a few suggestions for me:
1~ Target- I explained to them that this was a bad idea for 2 reasons. 1- the company counts on me to pay their workers wages. What I spend a month easily covers a paycheck. Who am I to undermine the economy? 2- I explained how crabby this would make me. Not such a hot idea for them. I mean, what if I could only shop at Walmart? That is enough to make anyone an old crabby mess. By the end of Lent I would be missing a couple of teeth, not washing my hair and be forgoing bras. (not that anyone would notice the last one...) 
The decided that wasn't the best idea, and suggested I give up:
2~ Diet Mountain Dew- You all may drink coffee, but I don't. I take my caffeine cold and carbonated. Again, I told the students what a mess I would be without caffeine. I am pretty sure all their grades would drop, and life would get ugly for everyone around me. I just want my caffeine, okay? I correct 134 papers a day, and listen to 98 students tell me they are sick, dying, tired, forgot their homework... I need something. 
3~ Bread- One (brave) student suggested I give up bread. Umm, no. It is a source of carby happiness in my life. Besides, I am a runner. I need carbohydrates, especially of the white bready kind. 
4~ Running- At this point? I am pretty sure the kids were trying to kill me off. Take everything I love from me?!? Besides, my husband would veto that. I get *slightly* crabby if I don't work out for a couple of days. 

Final decision? Sweets. Yes, I am giving up sweets for the remainder of Lent. I started late, so I had my Fat Tuesday on Wednesday, and today is my first day. 
I pretty much suck at this already. I feel my resolve starting to waver, and I am having visions of myself stuffing my face with Little Debbies at a machine gun pace. 
If you hear me mention it, ENCOURAGE ME!! I am going to need all the help I can get! No donuts, chocolate, cookies, cupcakes, Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs of Happiness, nothing, for a 6 weeks. But hey, Jesus gave up more, right? 
I can do this. I know it. I can. I can. 

p.s. My students? They so kindly offered to give up school for lent. Those little givers... 

24 comments:

"Cookie" said...

I hear ya!!!

Good luck. My mom gave up sweets too. I'm stucking to ....nothing. Not giving up anything. :)

Jenn said...

Good for you! Giving up sweets takes guts. Think of how joyful Easter morning will be--I don't know if your house has the Easter Bunny visit, but maybe he'll reward you for your lenten sacrifice. ;)

seriously? said...

Giving up sweets?? Have you gone insane??? Yes, you can do this and I think given your options, this was the best choice. Just stick all the girl scout cookies away and have a samoa, peanut butter patty, and thin mint party when you are done.

PS...can I come to your girl scout cookie party?

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I'm with you on the love Jesus but confused about religion thing.

Also, I'm glad you chose not to give up Target... Walmart can be a very scary place.

Good luck on the sweets.. I don't know if I could do it!

P.S. You're hilarious. the end.

Crystal said...

I totally feel you on the I love you jesus but I dont know about religion.. and as far as giving up sweets my prayers are with you lol..

Jennifer said...

I don't give up anything for lent. But it is great that you are doing it this year. I know that you can do it! I have faith in you.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

step away from the snack cakes...drop the snack cakes...good. good.

man, sweets...yikes!!! and no one needs any more legalistic ya-hoo's out there!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Good luck! I couldn't do without the sweets!

Carebear said...

No way I could give up Target! It's my home away from home. I was going to give up dieting, but that seemed like cheating, so I'm trying to give up Coke (the sodapop not the drug). Your students had some good thoughts. What grade do you teach? I taught highschoolers before I had kids. They are fun.

Anonymous said...

I love their suggestions! Aren't kids riot?

Good luck with the sweets, you are far braver than I.

McKsMom said...

I too, decided to give up something for lent. I have never done it before, and man it is going to be hard. I started a day late too! I decided to give up caffeine. I had to drink the last Coke in the house so I wouldn't be tempted. I have been thinking about it for awhile anyway. My 6 year old has told me that if i would quit drinking all that caffeine that I could lose some weight. Such an encourager that one.

joanofalltrades said...

I think Target and Bread would be impossible for me to give up. Sweets is a good one. Thanks for stopping by my blog from one domestically challenged gal to another.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Oh my friend. I just don't know about this. Although I applaud your selflessness when it comes to thinking about Target and saving the economy, I worry that you may be taking this whole Lent thing to an extreme. As a girl who just had ice cream for lunch, I am concerned.

However, if you are looking for a cheerleader, you've got one.

I am sure that there is at least one of your followers who will come through. Any takers?

-Francesca

amanda said...

lol. too funny. i always remember wanting to give up school or cleaning my room growing up. i grew up 'catholic' so it was what we 'did'. now i just follow jesus. that's so much easier! you are not familiar with wii fit step?! lol. it is so fun. it's in the aerobics part of it. once you play the regular step enough times it opens up the advanced. way fun.

Barbaloot said...

You're doing Lent, too?! And sweets too?! Good luck to us both.
Um and also---you're a runner? What kind of runner. Cuz I'm fully training for a marathon.
I'm not sure which is worse---marathoning or lenting. Yuck.

Glad you found me!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

SOOOOO made me laugh that one of your commenters' named "cookie crumbs"! Ironic? Anyhow...you do this thing ok?! Great idea...and yes Jesus gave up so much more! Keep your eyes on the prize (ok that was a cheesy line from "What happens in Vegas")..err...keep your focus!

Jennifer said...

I left you an award over on my blog! :)

MsTypo said...

I wish i had thought of giving up school at that age! LOL Silly me, i always went the sweets route. I wish i had realized that was option! ehhehe

3 Bay B Chicks said...

What is this girl scout cookie party that I am reading about this morning? Should I book my plane ticket now so that I may attend?

-F

Jessica said...

HAAAAAAAA! Good luck with that! sweets! NEVER EVER would that work for me!!! I eat Aidans potty training M&Ms. Bad mommy.

Sarah said...

Good luck with that...at least it's for lent. I tried to give up sweets for the month of January and made it to the 13th. Baby steps.

I like your new layout! 3 columns. Nice.

Jenny said...

Yay for Target!!!

heidi said...

You can dooooo eeeeeeet!!!!! Do sweets include gum? Cause you could just pop a piece of gum whenever you get a craving for sweets. Or eat Craisins. Honest to goodness, they help me with any sweet cravings.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Definitely don't give up shopping at Target!!! :)

I gave coffee up for lent once. YIKES.