I've been working hard on pushing my pace lately. When I first started running, I probably did a..14 minute mile or so. Since then, I've been trying to gradually increase my pace. I hovered around a 10 min/mile for almost a year, which was fine with me. I only started running 2 years, 5 months and 2 days ago, so I needed a good running base. However, during the last year, I have been trying to knock it down. Currently? I average a good 9 min/mile. (I will never be the fastest in the pack, I know that. Just as long as the 85 year old grandpa doesn't pass me, I'll be okay.)
I've slowly been knocking time off it, and here are my latest totals:
Sunday: 14 miles in 2:02:30- which is an average of an 8:41 mile
I'm not sure if height really plays into it, but hey, I am 5'2 3/4", so for me? This is whippin'.
Tuesday: 10.5 miles
1 mile at 9:00 for warm up/cool down
7.5 miles at 8:41
2 miles at 8:34
Finally (ya'll as enthralled as me?)
Last night:
11 miles
1.0 mile at 9:00 for warm up/cool down
3 miles at 8:41
7 miles at 8:34
Fastest time ever. I was like one of those little dogs with the short legs trying to chase a bus. I won't try to increase my time any faster for quite a bit, but am going to attempt to go longer at faster paces. My goal? To finish a marathon in under 5 hours, and without dying. Lofty, I know.
So tell me- What inspires/motivates you to exercise? Do you like to beat yourself (like me?) Working out with friends? Rabid dog chasing you?
18 comments:
Well, I can tell you what inspires me to exercise: nothing. I need inspiration, BIG TIME. I got myself an iPod (finally!), so I'm really going to try to go for more walks and maybe, just maybe build myself up to jogging and running this spring/summer. I've always admired people who could do that. I WANT to be one of those people. Really, really bad.
As someone who has been cut, it is more devastating than I could've ever imagined, I loved my job at the time too! I'm sorry to hear this. I run and use visualization to imagine with each pounding of the pavement a piece of stress falls off me and onto the ground, so the more I run, I tell myself, the more sr
What motivates me to run is my big fat a$$ not fitting into any of my clothes!!!!!
I have no idea why I continue to get up at the crack of dawn to run...the only thing I can think of is my ass looks so much better in my jeans. I have the type of personality that says..."I just want to see if I can do this". So, I keep getting up...damn it!!!
I am so impressed with your running. I ran my marathon (pre-baby, three years ago) in just under 5 hours (4:54). My goal was simply to finish, and not die either :) I also had to take a few "walking" breaks during those 5 hours.
This time around, I'm just trying to train for a 1/2 marathon. And I can't believe that I ever completed a marathon. I did 10 miles today and thought I seriously was going to die. I'm hovering at 10 minute miles, sometimes a few seconds more, sometimes a few minutes less.
The only time I was ever at 8 or 9 minute miles was during super short runs while I was training for the half. Longer runs, no way Jose.
Do you use anything like Cliff Shots, or Goo or eGel? And if so, when do you take them. Again, for marathon training I used this stuff. But for half, not sure I want to use it, and I tried once a few weeks ago and it killed my stomach.
Also, I wish I were like you and would work out with stress. But I'm one of those "eat everything in sight" when stress is in the air.
Are you for real? What motivates me to exercise? Um..nothing. Not even these jiggly thights and saggy boobs do it. You're some sort of weird, bionic-woman, freak of nature kind of girl. "Flabby Fat and Lazy you walked in a whoops a daisy!" That's about me! Ok, not really, but whatev.
Let me sleep on this and see if I feel inspired to go fine my long lost boyfriend Billy Blanks. I'll let ya know Monday.
Mwah.
I was gonna delete and edit, since I didnt' bother to proofread BEFORE I submitted, but I changed my mind.
Hey..you...Yeah, I see the typos....you wanna make somethin of it??!
exercise whats that?? no really coworkers sucks sometimes. One of mine today was driving away in a hummer. A server?? admittedly it was probably his parents.. lol
Can I ask how to start running? I know how stupid that sounds (trust me) but I want to try to start but I get a few minutes in and feel like I am going to die and give up. We have a beautiful path all along the river here where we normalyl ride our bikes and I'd love to run and get my ME time that way while getting some much needed exercise.
So how do you start out with a sport like this?
I miss running. In college, I ran. Nothing like what you run--just a couple of miles a day, but it was enough for me. I tried to get out running post-baby, but it honestly puts my feet in agony for the whole rest of the day, and the next day.
So, these days I content myself with work-out videos (they're short enough to not cause pain). What motivates me is old pictures of me at my teeniest and my son. I want him to grow up with a mom who's happy and healthy, so he can grow up happy and healthy.
What inspires me to exercise? Ha! Maybe after I read some more of your blog, I'll get inspired to do something on a consistent basis.
I do enjoy hiking; but only under ideal weather conditions...you know, twice a year, on vacation. LOL!!
I think your goals are great. Keep up the good work!
Not sure what happened to my last comment, I'm sure my son had something to do with it. You inspire me to keep with it!
Oh ladies, let me clarify.. .I certainly jiggle. unfort... it is on the bottom half and NOT on the top. Sigh.
You go, girl!
I actually love to work out! Why? I get on my treadmill when my daughter is napping and my son is watching a TV show. It is the first time all day that I have complete silence. I run away to my hearts content.
Nothing inspires me to exercise. And that is the whole problem.
You ARE whippin...that is fast I don't care how long or short your legs are! Yesterday was my first outdoor run in ages....and I was doing an average of a 10.5/mile and I felt like I was flying...and man am I sore today!
What's my motivation?
Honestly...it makes me a good person to get alone time and feel good about it. And well...I think I am a closet competative person...but only with myself. So...that pushes me...but not too hard. I am ok with feeling "comfortable" and not killing myself!
You go! I'm impressed.
Stress in a good motivation for me. Also, I'm enjoying watching this "baby" weight slowy but surely melt away!!!
I AM impressed... especially since my current mile time averages about 16 mins... :-) I love reading your running posts, they keep my head there while my body is not. Good job!
Post a Comment