4.07.2009

Skool's Kool

Alas, even the best laid plans are sometimes foiled. 

I was told this afternoon that I would in fact not be cut next year, and will be back full time. That's right. I am back for another year of burning stuff in the microwave. 

While I am *super* excited about this, it does put to kabosh all the fun things I had planned for next year. For instance? 

My husband? No super complex meals like this anymore: 

Nope. He'll be lucky to get a hot dog. Unless he buys me this really cool thing. Then? I'd cook hot dogs every night just because this thing rocks. 

(Yes, I do realize neither of these is an actual food. But, still...that's all I'm cooking.) 

If you were waiting for me to make you one of these

you'll have to wait a bit longer. I won't have time to craft. 

Nor will I have time to become a domestic goddess or a medical researcher, but chances were slim anyway. 

However, the benefits of having my job are many:

1. I get paid and health insurance to do a job I love.

2. I can continue to harass my coworkers, play practical jokes and warp my students.

3. Who else would stand on their desk to sing Happy Birthday to their students? 

4. Corey no longer has to live in fear that I will sit and read blogs all day. 

5. I don't have to switch schools for Elijah (I open enrolled him at the school where I work, so that I can have him on the same schedule and know what is going on with his schooling. If I had lost my job, I would have had to enroll him in our home district, rather than drive him everyday.) 

6. Another year of not eating school lunches. I've in 5 years of teaching, I've never even been tempted to try one. 

7. I'll have to buy new school clothes! 

Okay, off on a run. Yes, I will have less time for running, and have to run at 8:30 p.m, but? I'll take it! 

post signature


42 comments:

erin said...

CONGRATS! how exciting that you'll have your job next year!

and thank God that you won't have time for crafting... :-)

Jessica said...

GREAT NEWS! Awesome!!!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

YEAH! That's great news! So happy for you... I know you are relieved! WOOO HOOOO!

King J's Queen said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news!!

Hey, since your gonna have the job after all, why don't you celebrate by buying a new more-user-friendly microwave for your work room? :-)

dawnmramsey said...

Yay! I am happy for you that you will have your job next year! And, #4 is my husband's greatest worry, too, if I don't have a teaching job this fall.

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you!

New clothes are always good!!

A coworker of mine always talks about how she wants to eat the school lunches and I can't even imagine eating that crap! gross!

E @ Scottsville said...

Man, HAVING to buy new clothes. Goodness, what a shame! Can I come too???? =0) I'm a shop-a-holic - but broke - so I'm trying to be good. You buyin?

See ya when you get to Texas. There will be a small 'take home bonus' when you leave, but you'll find out what that is soon enough. Check my blog the next two days. You're getting famous on there. =0)

Ace said...

Yay! That's great news!

Simply Complex said...

Con-grat-u-la-tions!

That is wonderful. I told you that they would be stupid to give you up! The class clown is B-A-C-K!

heidi said...

Sara that's AWESOME! I mean, let's be honest...you weren't REALLY gonna try to make a grilled cheese sandwich, right? You don't own an iron do ya? So how could you make one of those?

Meg said...

Yay for you, running at 8:30 doesn't sound so bad, well at least not in Florida when it is still relatively warm. Yay for burning things in a microwave!

Cass said...

That is great news! Thank you for sharing. I know that is probably a huge weight off your shoulders.

Ace said...

Oh no! I thought for sure you had #14 until I looked at it. There is a Thousand Foot Krutch song, but that's not it!

Counselormama said...

Wow, that is great news! I know what you mean though, oh well...one day you'll be retired and can read blogs as much as you want!

Stesha said...

Glad to hear that you will still have your job and the added bonus is the singing on the desk. Love it!

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

forever folding laundry said...

Whew - congratulations!

No school lunches for you, huh? When I was teaching I sometimes had to break down and get some of the tater tots. I'm sure they were really healthy for me, though. You know, since a potato is a vegetable.

~Keri

Anonymous said...

Yay for continued burnt popcorn! :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Okay, that is GREAT news!!!

Kaci said...

YIPEEEEE!! My sister still is waiting to find out if she has a job next year. She teaches 5th grade right now in So Cal.

Running at night is yuck! But take what you can get! :)

The Stiffs said...

I'm so happy for you. Insurance is probably a good thing. I'm grieving for all those hot dog cooking posts but I'll live.

The Dental Maven said...

Congrats on the good news! And your husband will just have to deal with the non-gourmet meals.

"Cookie" said...

Wonderful news!!! So you miss out on some things you were playing, but you won't have to cut back Target shopping sprees now!

The Mom behind the Chaos said...

Great news! Sounds like a great school year for all around!!
I will have to find someone else to make me some nifty crafts!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! I know that is such a relief...or maybe you were looking forward to the break! But, regardless, it is good to have a job!
-AM

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you. Yeah!

Barbaloot said...

New school clothes! I'm so jealous---I used to love that excuse to shop:)

Staci said...

Congrats on staying employed! My husband is ready for me to go back. Mainly for financial reasons, not because he's dying to have to take on more responsibility around here :) By the way, I think we have those same microwaves in our school! I don't think the school actually bought any of them...I think teachers brought in their old ones from their college dorm rooms or bought the $30 special from Wal-Mart. Seriously, I don't think those things are good for anything besides heating up coffee!

Have fun shopping for new school clothes!

peewee said...

I love buying new school clothes!!! Even if I haven't set foot in a school since 1997.

Oh, and don't EVEN try posting a pic of a dog shaped hot dog cooker and NOT provide a link! Don't EVEN. I'll be checking back on the hour, every hour.

Anonymous said...

Yea! Congratulations. Though I am sad to se I won't be getting anything cool with a skull anytime soon. Geesh I was getting all excited and everything.

Nah, that's great. And that hot dog is seriously cool!

Miller Racing Family said...

Super Good News. I am so happy for you! Can't wait to hear more teaching stories. Congrats again!

Sara said...

That's wonderful news! CONGRATS!

seriously? said...

YEA!!! I am happy for you. Maybe over the summer you could expand your education by taking a course on microwaving...I am quite certain it would be appreciated by ALL at your school. :)

amanda said...

okay wait...grilled cheese and hot dogs are not real food?!?! please don't tell my kids. or my husband. i stay at home and that's what they get sometimes...
but yay for a job. :0)

Lindsey said...

Great news!! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

congrats on keeping your job! i'm sure it's a relief...even though you won't be first in line at Target like you anticipated. darn!

Brooke said...

Congrats! That is such great news! Now if only we could find me a job soon :)

Julie said...

Yay! It's SO nice to have a job that you love.

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

Yay! thats great news! Congrats. Cooking is overrated anyways. Hot dogs and grilled cheese are part of the meat and dairy foodgroups. Both have bread so thats a grain. Your golden.

Sara said...

i did answer your question in the comments here: http://whyrinsechicken.blogspot.com/2009/04/random-ramblings.html

:)

Orange1086 said...

Congrats!! Im going to be graduating next may with my degree for high school history and I was wondering if you had any tips on how to secure a job straight out of college?? thanks so much!
Kelly
hollygolightly1086@verizon.net

Crystal said...

Awesome! Just steer clear of the microwave and I am all for school lunches.. most of them I loved school lunch as a kid lol and want to see if they are the same nowadays!

Mandi said...

HI!
I hate hate hate to cook. My husband says my favorite thing to make is reservations. Which I will happily admit is very true. Along with hating to cook is my love for eating out. Although its not as much fun now with three kids that are 5yrs, 4yrs and 2yrs that turn into crazy hellyons as soon as we get to the restuarant.

Love your blog!
Mandi
p.s. this thing wont let me spellcheck and I am by far the worst speller EVER! Sorry I know it drives my other teacher friends crazy!