6.10.2009

C-O-N-T-E-S-T/ G I V E A W A Y

** UPDATE** winner and such. Yeah! A winner! Congratulations Alicia O and the Gang for winning the *FREE* 3 month membership to JUMP START and all the site has it to offer! If your children are like Elijah, they will love it from the beginning! Now, they do get to chose their own avatar...Elijah? He was all concerned because he couldn't switch his hair color, and thought it wasn't light enough! He had so much fun creating himself! Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I love contest. And while this is a contest, I am not going to make you do anything crazy other than admit how awesome I am {ahem} 
In May, Corey and I were talking about how we wanted some good computer programs for Elijah this summer, for him to use w

hile Asher is napping. I wanted something fun, educational and that had reading skills and math applications. I am big on having kids know number sense and the base 10 system, in order to truly master math. 
We talked about it and looked a few things, but hadn't bought anything. 

Suddenly.... it came. 

An email telling me about the Jump Start online learning center. Yes, that Jump Start, the ones who do the books I bought for Elijah for Christmas, the ones like this? 
They now have an online learning site. It is pretty cool. You and your child can create your own avatar, then play on different games. Elijah was able to complete "missions" where he had to complete different learning tasks, and play online games. We played one game where he had to pick rhyming words, and others where he "flew" with a jet pack and choose the rhyming words. I was sitting there, trying to help him, and he turns to me and says, "Mom, I can do this myself you know." Um, fine. However, I am a teacher, we help. 
When it was time for dinner? Elijah begged to go back and play more. I am planning on having him go though the site a few times a week and continue the learning games.
What I like is that he can complete and go through the site with some guidance from me, but he is able to feel as though he can master it himself. Younger children, of course, are going to need more guidance, but will still enjoy it. The graphics, characters and music are all fun, upbeat and will draw your child in. Asher was dancing at our feet while we played poor kid obviously gets his rhythm from me.
Now, for you? I am GIVING AWAY a 3 month membership to the JUMP START website! You and your child will have unlimited access to all the site has to offer for 3 months! I am sure you will love it as much as us! 

How to enter you ask? Simply leave me a comment, telling me a learning story, a way you'd use the membership, or telling what an awesome contest/giveaway this is. 
Extra entries? Umm. Tweet about this and/or follow me on twitter {ahh, ha! that is how others get all these followers!} 
CONTEST RUNS UNTIL JUNE 12th at 12 pm. CST! Enjoy! 

35 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

Well... my youngest is NINE. Is she too old for it???

Probably so, huh?

So don't count Comment #1 as an entry. But good luck to the rest of you entry-ers! Hope you win #32... whoever that winds up being! ha ha ha

Simply Complex said...

This is an awesome contest. You are such a clever one!

My babe is obviously a little young for this, but maybe I could check it out and keep this in mind for when he is older...

Barbaloot said...

I think my non-existent child would love this! No really-don't put me in the entry, I just wanted to say how awesome you are:)

Anonymous said...

Jumpstart programs are great! i used to use them a lot in my classroom. although Owen is too small to start this just yet (he is a genius..don't get me wrong!) i do have a couple of neices that would greatly benefit from this program! thanks for sharing!

Foursons said...

Me me me me! Pick me! PLEASE!!! My boys love to use the computer, and I'd love it to be a little educational!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Sneaky you! Since I ALREADY follow you on twitter I will just have to tweet about the contest!

I would love to start trying things like this with Lilly when the other children are resting...this would be a great "summer start"!

Alicia O. & the gang said...

I did a tweet!! Enter me again please!

erin said...

well since samantha is now finished with kindergarten, she seems to be a little bored during the day. she'd probably love doing games on the computer!

i'm gonna have to check it out anyway if i don't win. sounds good!

and yes, you are awesome! :-)

More Than Words said...

I'm not joking when I say that my sister and I were talking about CD-Rom games for the kids and I mentioned Jump Start to her!! I love their games!! And I love this giveaway!

Orah said...

Hmmm - maybe I should not have bought the v-tech learning system so quickly...

Nice give away...

erin said...

OMG! i clicked over to the site and samantha came running to the computer when she heard the music. then she kicked me off of the computer so that she could play. :-)

anyway... i tweeted about it too!

Jazzy said...

OK so I tweeted about your contest, and now I am commenting on what a wonderful, interesting, gifted, amazing person you are!!!!!
I should get an extra entry for that! :)

Stephanie said...

Cool contest. Ben goes to kindergarten in August, so it wouldn't come at a better time for us! Tweeting now!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

My daughter loves playing on educational websites like PBS. She would love a membership to a site like this. I'm checking it out either way.

WILLOW TREE said...

This sounds perfect for my son! He's starting Kindergarten in the fall and I've been searching for a good prep program to work with him on over the summer.

Blessings, Carolynn

Helene said...

Cole and Bella will be starting kindergarten this fall so this would be a perfect way to keep them engaged all summer long with all that they learned this past year in pre-K!! What a fun giveaway!

Alicia said...

I got the email to for the free trial membership...however, I was having a hard time getting through the game...maybe it was my computer? You made it seem so easy especially for your child. Any tips would be appreciated. Great giveaway!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I want to win! I want to win! I want to win! Make that... Reagan wants to win! Reagan wants to win! Reagan wants to win!

She has finally mastered (and is getting bored now) with her leap start computer game so I have let her start playing some stuff on our computer. This so sounds like something that she would be into!

LZ said...

You now I just wrote about this! My daughter is 4 and is having a hard time with letters, and I wanted to help her a bit before pre-k next year. This would be great to try! and I already follow you on Twitter, or would be doing that for an extra entry!

the higgins' said...

Sounds awesome! My seven year old would love this!!

Shari said...

My grand daughter is 4 and has tested for Kindergarten this Fall (even tho she is not old enough). She is so stoked on school. She loves every thing about numbers and letters. I am always looking for great ideas to keep her wanting to learn. This sound perfect!

*waves hands up and down* Pick me.. Pick me! lol

"Cookie" said...

I just want to comment on your tweet from last night.....you are one obsessed lady when it comes to ax murderer!! Did the ninja moves come into play?

Roxy said...

cool...sounds fun...but don't the the 3 year would master it yet...good to all!

Stephanie said...

You already know I think you are fully awesome! (my 7 year old's fave saying right now lol)

I love those Jump Start programs. I am actually looking for a new program for the summer to take advantage of those teachable moments. Computers are such a gift! My little one needs to work on those times tables so that is how I would use the Jump Start membership!

Anonymous said...

This is a great give-away! My kids love the computer, so it would be perfect.

I love tricking them into learning. We play word games with those little letter tiles all the time. They don't even realize they are doing educational items.

I'm off to tweet this contest.

-FringeGirl

LucieP said...

well this is fun times!
I am very proud of you--being very teacher like even though it is summer!
Maybe if we win, I won't have to suffer through another project on Brazil?!

Anonymous said...

Sara/DC,

Ask-a-dad here answering your question about purchasing a GPS for father's day. My response: Any gadget that transmits messages from space is always a good idea.

Tyler

Holly said...

Interesting how there are these fun educational sites coming out! Is there anything there for three-year-olds?

LLK said...

What an awesome first giveaway! This sounds perfect for my little guy! Thanks for the chance to win!

Tami said...

I love JumpStart. I've bought several of their cd's for the kids. My 3yo is just now starting to learn how to play on the computer and this would be perfect for us. What a great giveaway.

Loukia said...

This is a great giveaway! :)

Loukia said...

P.S. You're on my blog roll!

Jessica said...

Just wanted to say that this is a cool product- and I'm short on learning stories since I have such a hard time doing it! Heh. BTW, I'd love to hear about your appt with the ADD doc. If you went- I didn't. They wanted $400 an hour!! Thx! I'll live with my ADD. ;)

honeypiehorse said...

This is a great idea. I think my kids are still too young but when K starts school next year I'll check it out. BTW I got me an avatar and am pondering various conspiracy topics as we speak. . .

Merryheart said...

Love your blog! Awesome contest! My daughter loved playing jumpstart computer programs when she was younger. Definitely makes learning fun!

If I win, I'd give the prize to my BFFL, FringeGirl at The DomesticFringe for her 2 sweet little FringeKids. You should totally check out her blog BTW; I know you'd love it!