6.09.2009

Wonderings....

Now, I have gone through this with Erica  a couple of times. She has hit on it on her blog as well. 
Commenting. 

Now, I comment on every blog I read, {90% of the time.} Often times, these people read my blog and comment to me. Funny how that works, huh? 
Anyway,  you know how sometimes you have a conversation back and forth? That has nothing to do with the actual post you just wrote/read? 
Like the other day, I was on Mandi's blog. In my comment I made a comment on how cool I am. I had to wonder to myself, "I wonder what someone else reading this blog thinks, you know, with me commenting on my awesomeness. Do they think I am vain? Cool? Don't care? Do they even think of any of this, or is this all in my self centered head?" Or "Can they tell by my careful use of {brackets} !Exclamation points! **Whatever these are called** and ...'s that I am joking?" 
So, what do you think? Do you wonder about this? Find yourself going back to the other blog and trying to find what the heck is going on? Me neither. 

On to other topics. How do you find new blogs? Do you click on interesting names? {ahem} Cool pics? What makes you check on new blogs? 
Me? thanks for asking. 
• I like looking at blogs that have cool avatars. I don't know why. So, if you have a cool pic like Modern Mom or LZ @ mymessyparadise, or a pretty flower like LissaMarie, chances are, I'll give you a click. 
See, I've made my own avatar! Aren't I cute!? I am not going to use it as a pic for my profile though. I need to get a new pic, but can't until hubs can take a pic of me that doesn't have bags under my eyes, my eyes are open, no butt shaped wrinkle in between my eyebrows and some other misc. stuff.  I totally blame the nice camera {which I am not allowed to touch} for the pics. Good camera= good pixel crap=too much of the "real me" 

• I like to look at blogs that have cool and funny stories. I like to laugh, so I like to read these blogs.

• I will click on the blog that has a cool name. Named something cool? I'll click. 

• Mention food? I'm in. Cooking? I'm out. 

Speaking of food, I am hungry. Bye. 



58 comments:

Loukia said...

I like to look at cute blogs, too. First impressions, right? And if I find the content interesting, I'll read and will continue to come back for more! :) Sometimes I find other blogs through the comments other people leave, or from people's blog rolls. Cool names will always get a click! I love your blog btw! :)

Kristina P. said...

I've had people tell me they clicked over to me because of my picture. No one can resist a Snuggie.

Mrs. M said...

Blog names and avatars usually pull me in for at least a look. I also check out many of the blogs recommended by other blogging friends. I generally don't read many of the other comments when I leave my note, so I would probably not notice some other random conversation going on! :-)

Rachel @ Called to Grow said...

I check out blogs which are followed by Bloggers I like. You for example...I found your blog through another blog I follow...since they follow you, I checked you out. Since I like you I added you to my Google Reader.
The negative about the Google Reader is I don't check out the blogs that my favorite Bloggers follow, thereby reducing the number of new blogs I have to check out.
For me it is all about the writing style and content. If you have lousy writing, no good photography, or dull subject matter you do not make my list. If at least one of these criteria is met then there is a chance I will follow.
How's that for a babblish explanation of Blog theory? :)

The wife of bold said...

Funny post - i clicked over cos of your blog name, i can definately relate to that one :) I havn't got an avatar but now i want one x

King J's Queen said...

I visit new blogs when I read a comment that piques my curiosity on someone else's blog...ya know...like this one. LOL!

Now, if I only commented on every post I read. I've really got to work on that.

No avatar here. I supposed I could just swipe the round smiley face from Wal-Mart.

Lauren said...

"Not" touching your husbands camera = me laughing out loud to myself. :) P.S. I am awesome.

"Cookie" said...

I often wonder what you would be like IRL. You crack me up! Are you writing this and pondering this while you're in "class" writing science curriculum?

I find blogs through blogs that I follow. IF I see a cool name or a cool picture, I'll check it out.

More Than Words said...

Good questions!

I hardly ever look at anyone elses comments unless I'm super curious about a question the poster asked. It just depends. But, I would it is more close to never! Weird, huh? LOL.

I notice other peoples blogs if their picture stands out to me too. I'm the opposite of you though. I like to see their "face" vs. an avatar.

I like posts that are easy to read and you get a feel of the persons personality. If they're funny, that's a bonus!

Gosh...I sound so picky!

Oh...and I always comment back on anyone who has ever left me a comment!! I think that is "comment etiquete."

erin said...

why do you think i ever clicked on you in the first place?! A:cute blog title! :-)

Meeko Fabulous said...

I find blogs through blogs I'm already following, if someone leaves a comment I'll check out their blog, or through the Blogs of Note. :)

stilettochicken said...

I will immediately be sucked in by a fun/clever/original/whythefrigdidn'tIthinkofthat blog name. I am a huge sucker for funny stories. If I like a person's writing style, I'm more apt to continue following.

And... shoot me for this... but I get a kick out of broads who swear. Ha.

I will track over to blogs from the comments certain writers have left. I also notice that certain names keep popping up here and there, so I'll hop on over to those as well. Really, I'll take any reason for cutting down my productivity at work.

The Stiffs said...

I found you because of your title...mine, not so creative. I blog jump. It doesn't matter the name or the content. If I scroll and it's funny, I bookmark it or add it to a feed.

I don't always pay attention to other people's comments though.

Elyse said...

Sometimes I head over to referred blogs or look on people's sidebars. I do look at comments of others, but seldom click on them. I read a bunch of multiples blogs and have found many "friends" through them. I am addicted to blogging and okay with it :)
~Elyse

Trish said...

I alsways go for cute blog names or interesting picks...also by blog roll...just depends what kinda mood I am in on that day. However, the funny blog stories are more my style.

Ace said...

I love your randomness! You crack me up!

I just click all over the place!

LZ said...

I just check out the blog roll for blogs I follow, or the people who seem to keep popping up. But I am more apt to click on a funny name or great picture, too.

Anonymous said...

LOL..You are funny.
I usually go to a blog because of it's title (name) or I go to funny ones and blogs that inspire and teach.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I too look at everyone else's comments and click on them if they sound funny. I'm not here to read blogs that make me burst into tears everyday. Don't get me wrong, I just don't need any help in that department. I can cry all on my own. thankyouverymuch... I also look at everyone's blog list/roll. And it's much eaiser to choose if they have a photo also. OK, now I'm babbling. BYE

Lindsay said...

Hmmm…so does this mean I should change my name and picture?
I think when I read other comments I have a nice idea if they are my kind of people or not.

Oh crap. Now people will be thinking I’m a bloggercist or a complete dork. :o)

Kameron said...

I rarely read the other comments on a post. I just don't have enough time, plus I would just get sucked in because I am like super glue to drama!

I have stopped trying to add new blogs to my list because I already have no time and feel bad when I can't get to all of the blogs I already read. Sometimes I will because someone new has left a comment and I go check their blog out.

Foursons said...

I don't usually read all the other people's comments unless I want to know their answers to a question asked in the post. I click on blogs with interesting names. I figure if they are clever w/their title then their blog may be good. Also, if someone comments on my blog I always go check out theirs and comment on theirs. I'll scan a few posts and decide if I'm coming back. Seems kinda cruel, but that is what happens.

E @ Scottsville said...

Sara, I'm not sure if you read this post or not, but you're freaking me out if you hadn't seen it!!! We think WAY TOO MUCH ALIKE!

So yea, the commenting thing is a DISORDER! It's called C.C.D. Click on that link above if you don't know what it is!

Erica Your BBFF.

Jen said...

I comment on most of the blogs that I read too. I got a lot to say and commenting is how I get it out and for the most part people like comment. ;)
I pick new blogs by there titles. If it has a cool name, I will go there first and if the post makes me laugh well then I will probably be there again and follow it.
But you know what I can't stand is people who ask to be followed. I am going to follow/read your blog b/c I like it and you entertain me not b/c you asked me to.
Ok I am done. Sorry this took up so much space and now people are going to think that I am weird. Oh well.

Jen said...

Oh and if you want to find cool new blogs then you should totally check out SITS aka Secret is in the Sauce http://www.thesitsgirls.com/

maybe you all ready know, but I didn't see their button so I thought I would share. ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to have a cute avatar and changed it for myself... are you saying I should change it back?? lol

Here's an award for you:

http://www.fabbrunette.com/2009/06/love-ya-lots.html

Helene said...

I almost always comment on the blogs I read, unless I have no clue what their post is talking about (ya know, I don't wanna seem lame!)

I often times find new blogs just by their titles. If it's funny, I'm totally in. If it's clever, I'm totally in. I'll look at avatars and be drawn in that way. Many people have clicked on my blog just by seeing my avatar pic and thinking "are those 2 sets of twins?? Is this woman insane?" After they read my blog, they clearly know I am.

I usually stick with a blog because of it's humor and insight. I love serious blogs too because they are often deep thinkers and remind me to enjoy the little things in life. Also, if I feel I have a lot in common with the blogger, that also draws me in. Like the fact that we're both scared of being chopped into a million pieces in our sleep by some crazy ax wielding maniac....you and me go together like peas and carrots.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I think my first visit here was for a giveaway! Then I just keep coming back because I like you:)

I am glad to have met you!!

http://countrycitymouse-pam.blogspot.com/2009/06/canadian-etsy-giveaway-3.html
Drop in and enter to win!

xox

Roxy said...

CHECK out my blog...somethings waiting for you!!1

seriously? said...

I love YOUR blog and all its awesomeness!!! I get so excited when you have a new post. Great way to get a smile on my face in the AM after a run....

Unknown said...

I tend to gravite to clever names & I enjoy funny stories & those that relate to me!

Debbie said...

I do wonder all the time what people make of my comments! Especially since I tend to be sarcastic and my friends on here know that. But, random people reading comments don't know that.

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I like looking at cute blogs too.. sometimes if i go to the blog and it is just the plain minima or some other blogger template, i won't keep reading. i know that is horrible - they could be a great blogger but i just am not nearly as interested unless it is something a little different. it doesn't have to be a $100 redesign or anything ridiculous - just a little aesthetically pleasing.

usually when i find new blogs it is because i read others comments and if they have a cute name or a cute picture i will click on it.

lately i click on a lot of blogs that have wedding related pictures for obvious reasons.

when i go to read a not me monday from mckmamas blog, i usually just randomly click on different names but the ones that sound a little interesting or different (i mean you can't possibly read all 500 entries so you just have to pick and choose). like yours! thats how i found you!

okay sorry this ended up so long... i was just thinking about this recently so i had a lot to say on it :)

The Mother said...

Every once in a while, I run into a commenter and blog that become great friends. That's what makes all this worth it.

Meg said...

I like most people tend to follow onto peoples' blogs that have funny or interesting names. I live clever, not saying I'm clever, but I like reading clever...Domestically Challenged, that's clever.

Romantic Ranch said...

I think it's quite the same for me. It's that first impression! :)

I depend, heavily, on the comments sections to find more fun blogs!! :)

I have some sprucing up to do on mine, maybe get some more pix up.

Thanks for stopping by AND commenting! ;)

Sara said...

I love your blog because you never fail to make me laugh out loud!

Stephanie said...

Hellloo! Hey first. Thanks for the love:)
I can say this is the first time I have read through all of the comments...and there are a lot of them!
I would say I'm drawn to witty titles (either of blogs or posts) and avatars. I personally use an avatar so I can blog my little heart out and not worry that any family or friends will discover me!
Another great post!

Anonymous said...

i always comment on my followers blogs and like you said, 90% of the other times too. i have found new blogs by looking at others' commments on other blogs...make sense? a cute picture will do ya some good too, if you want me to take a peek. i love your hilarious posts and attitude on life...that's why i continuously come back!

Brooke said...

I can no longer keep up with all the blogs I would like to follow. In days of old, I would click on someone who I saw commenting on several of the same blogs I commented on. And I would also check out other "Brooke" bloggers. And of course, if someone new comments on my blog, I have to go check them out as well.

WILLOW TREE said...

I love good blog names. And I don't believe in accidents. I have met some really awesome friends in the blogosphere I never could have met IRL because we're halfway across the country from each other, like Forever Folding Laundry, and Three Bay B Chicks. I also find new blogs by connecting to witty comments people leave on others blogs. If it sounds like someone I could have coffee with and laugh a lot, I'll click over to their site.

Blessings,
Carolynn

Miller Racing Family said...

I like to look at blogs that I can relate to. Like ones with busy schedules, working moms, toddlers, most of all I love upbeat blogs.
I often wonder who is reading my blog. You know the blog stalkers that read it daily and never comment. I also wonder do people daily read my blog and if so isn't that crazy they find my life that interesting that they stop by each day to catch up.
In general I guess the entire blogging world is a little crazy. We have all these friends all over the world that we haven't even meet and we sometimes talk to the bloggers more than we do the people in our own town.
Thanks for the reflection moment. By the way I don't think you are vain, just super funny and usually saying the things we are all thinking.
Have a great Tuesday!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I'll check out blogs based on what my fellow blogging buddies are doing sometimes! I have found many of my favorites from you sista! And catchy names always draw my attention... that is how I found you on MckMama's NMM post one day. I will usually start following if they are following me (are you following me???) and read those blogs for a few weeks to test them out. IF they are funny, witty, smart, sassy and tell it like it is, then I will stick around!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Great, now I'M hungry!

I check out blogs with good avatars too. Or if I see they've left a funny comment on another blog I'll probably check them out. Because I love funny people.

If a name intrigues me I'll check them out too. For instance, I like Domestically Challenged. Because I am domestically challenged.

Anonymous said...

I find blogs a lot by #followfriday on twitter. I also look at the other blogs that have been recommended by blogs I already read.

Counselormama said...

This was very interesting! I tend to look for people in the education industry, or I peek at others blog lists and if the post title sounds intriguing enough, I will check it out!

Anonymous said...

For finding other blogs (which I try not to do cause I read too many as it is) but usually a good name or a funny comment will get me to click. Also if I see the same person commenting where I am I will likely pop over and see what they are all about.

mummyof6monsters said...

i always click when they have a funny title(especially if it has 'crazy' in it) And I love blogs with photos:)

honeypiehorse said...

I'm a very loyal commenter, which is why I rarely have time to check out new blogs. I first read and comment on people who follow my blog, then people who left comments and then I kind of fizzle out. Occassionally a picture or name or extra funny comment will pull me in. I don't like avatars because they're impersonal and I assume people with avatars are ugly or phony. There are exceptions, though - I like the Maven's avatar and Debbie's.

{Kimber} said...

YOU have been tagged!

Unknown said...

You are so funny! And this is one of the biggest reasons I love your blog, that and the fact that there are a few blogs I read, and just know that if we lived in the same town we would be friends (real friends, not just blog friends). In regards to the comments, I don't typically read other peoples comments, unless there are only a few, or if I happen to see one of my other blogging friends that commented, I will read what they wrote. I also like blogs that make me laugh, so it's super easy to read your blog, because I actually laugh out loud! And I tend to keep track of those people who also keep track of me, if I comment, and comment and comment on someones blog and they never take two seconds to come say hi, I may read their blogs, but not comment on them anymore. Does that all make sense? (minus all the grammatical and spelling errors!) :)

McCrakensx4 said...

What a funny post; and thanks for blogging by, by the way!!! when I am bored I ususally go to another blog that I follow and click on their followers. I choose to blog hop,also, by pictures or cute names!So I am wondering...what brought you to my neck of the words? Cus today's post was neither exciting or interesting!?Nice to meet you though!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I try to comment on the blogs I read too. I like clicking on interesting blog titles. I love photos so if you have good ones I'm coming back. I also love funny blogs too.

Mandi said...

Your a dork and awesome all at the same time! But how do you no love someone so much like me!!!! Thanks for the shout out... Your a great not-IRL friend!!!

Mandi

Charisse said...

I am such a blog hopper. I follow a lot of food blogs. And several mommy blogs as I like to call them. I will start on one blog and click open a couple of their favorite blogs...click open a couple of each of their favorite blogs...before I know it I have read 50 new blogs...left 50 new comments...and started following at least 3 new blogs. You should see my bookmarks folder..horrendous :-)

I am sure I have read your blog before because you participate in NMM with MckMama and your blog seems familiar to me. This time I got here from your twitter page, tho.

Have a wonderful day!

Kelli said...

So, I'm late commenting (was out of town and no internet!!!!!) but, yes, I have to agree on most of what you said. Cute pics, blog names and such will get me to check them out. I don't have kids, so the mommy bloggers don't usually get much of my attention, but sometimes I look. If I find a kindred sprit (spaz, whathaveyou) I will follow.
And usually I read the comments (mostly because I don't want to be the 12th person to say, "OMG Ax murderer!?" or whatever) unless there are a million - like right now!

heidi said...

I am currently not accepting any new blogs for my already extensive reading list. Not bcause I think there are no more goo d blogs out there, but because I can't even keep up with the ones I WANT to read anymore. So, the line to be read by me starts over there, on the left. (joke)

I comment to people that comment to me. That, right now, is how I go about reading blogs, too. Then I try to hit all my follows when I get a spare moment.

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda new to the whole blogging world and even more recently started actively looking for more to read. I am drawn to blogs that have cute/interesting/different names (how I ended up here), mostly ones that I come across on the blogrolls of other's. I like pics too, but couldn't care less about the avatars. If it looks interersting or like something I can relate to, I stay and poke around a bit, but if it is too busy or disconnected I move on quickly. I have found a few here and there by clicking on comments, but usually they are hard to come across that way.