Hello, let that sum my life up right now. Lots of chaos, teensy bit of order. This whole house remodel has taken me over. There are so many timelines, things to order, decide on, demolish..yikes! Oh yeah, and my kids still need to be tended and watered. I run around 90% of the day, trying to get as much done as possible.
We have completely gutted our kitchen down to the studs to put in a new one. Yay! Is it my dream kitchen? No. {seriously, me?! a dream kitchen?} Is this our dream house? No.
We are simply updating the house in order to put it on the market in a couple of years. To do that, we needed a new kitchen, which also makes the house more enjoyable for us in the meantime. At the same time, we are replacing all the floors, trim, doors, fixtures, ect on the main level.
Since we hope to sell in a couple of years, we are doing most of it ourselves. Hence, the chaordic nature of the project.
{Hey, anytime you put an ADHD woman in charge of a task, you get what you get. I have 14 projects going at once. You might find me tearing out old flooring, tearing up trim, calling appliance shops, all at the same time.}
BTW, totally love appliance shopping. I love a good haggle on prices/upgrades. (again, why I do all the vehicle shopping in our household) One lady made the mistake of getting lippy with me. Sheesh.
My only saving grace at this point? Running. I have had a few good runs with no pain this week. It has been awesome. Last night I did 7 miles and it felt beyond amazing to get into a cadence and just run. Best runners high.
So, I apologize for neglecting your blogs. I miss you all! I am trying to get to you once or twice a week. Next week should settle down a bit, as we have the drywall going up and the taping/mudding going on. {Yes! Sheetrock dust! Which does not bother me as much as insulation pricklies. I have spend the last 3 days itching my entire body after pulling stuff out wearing shorts and sports bra.} Again, genius.
Today? A trip to the mall, then my nephew's birthday party. I can't wait to show you all pics of where we are going for his party!
38 comments:
Wow. That sounds like a lot of work! And what's with this pounding in of nails at 5 am??????
Yikes! Best of luck with your kitchen remodel. I can't imagine living without a kitchen for several weeks. I hope it passes quickly!
Does a new kitchen mean you are going to take up cooking ;)
Good luck witht he chaos. I hate when things are all out of whack!! Think about how awesome it will be when all is said and done!
I am the worst appliance shopper in the whole world. I wish I could do my own home improvement but I. . .what's the word. . . totally suck. You go!
That sounds like a lot of work! We have a lot of remodeling projects lined up, and no time to do them!
I'm so glad you were able to run pain-free!
Good luck! Building was difficult, but at least I could walk away from it at the end of the day! I can't imagine trying to live/work at the same place. That would drive me mad.
And the doing 20 things at once? Oh yeah, I'm all over it. I'm always starting another project. Brad's like, 'finish the one you started.' And I WILL, but I'm so excited to be working on the next one, that I want to start it too!
UG I hated when we renovated our kitchen. I swear to you I put on 5 lbs b/c when you can't cook you do take out! Maybe I should have taken up running!
Good luck with the chaos.
Good luck with the remodel. Hope it goes smoothly. I've been through it and survived.
LOVE the word! my house is chaordic and we're not even remodeling anything. sigh...
hope everything goes well!
wow! good luck with all the remodeling!!
a trip to the mall sounds heavenly!!
i finally got a chance to run this a.m...and it felt so good--it wasn't 7 miles but, hey, i did run!! lol
I can completely relate. We just got our downstairs remodeled next is the kitchen remodel (Good thing Jerry is a mean barbequer) At least you have running to escape it all I need something like that but instead I turn to no-bake cookies…I need help lol
a new kitchen!! jealous. ours needs to be updated as well!! in fact ours was so ugly we were on the rachael ray show with it a few years ago!! lol. didn't win the ugliest though. please post some pictures though. i love to dream. have fun at the mall and the party!!
The projects sound all consuming. I am glad you sound to be enjoying it a little bit. Hopefully the update will be great, and will help with the marketing of your house in a couple of years.
Remodeling is one of my absolute favorite things to do! I'm actually the drywall mud-slapper-on-person... and the sander... and the painter...
I LOVE it! I can't wait until we can buy this house and completely gut it!
Have a great day. I can't wait to see what you are up to.
I love going with people who are buying cars. When we purchased our car in 06 I went in ready and when we were done the manager of the dealership was asking me to consider selling cars. :)
Chaordic is the best word I have ever heard!!!! I am totally stealing it because my life is definitely chaordic at times and I never know how to explain it to people! Good luck with your remodel - the shopping is the best part of any home project!
Chaordic???
Is that a word???
The remodeling sucks but, in the end it is wonderful. I have often times (maybe twice) thought that contractors could double as divorce lawyers. Think of all the extra money they could make as they remodel a kitchen and submit paperwork for the couples divorce all at the same time. Hang in there kid, it will be worth it.
FYI - Crying in front of the contractor helps speed the process up.
Hey, a little chaord is good once in a while. Isn't it??
Insulation pricklies are THE WORST!!! AHHHHCKKK! I'm sure your new kitchen/floors will be worth it! I always have huge admiration for people who do remodels themselves. I can't even put together a simple Ikea shelf without punching holes into the walls ;)
Yea, we miss you in bloggy-land. You shouldn't be allowed to get too busy to visit all of us!
=0)
But I feel your pain. We did a lot of the finishing on our house ourselves and we're still not totally done. It's only been eight years! We got it livable, then moved in.
Take care my friend!
It stinks right now but will be well worth it in the end. Wish I could say that I know that from experience but I still have my same disgusting kitchen this house had when we bought it almost 11 years ago.
Now I'm depressed. Thanks Sara. I'm going to go cry now. Enjoy your new kitchen you, you, Rock Star Microwaver! BooHooHoo.....
p.s. please make sure to tweet frequently so I might live vicariously through you ;-)
After I responded to this morning's nail pounding tweet...I went back to sleep. I felt a little guilty but not much.
I hope you have a great weekend! And 7 miles?!?! You are awesome!
WOW, sounds like a busy summer. I can't wait to see pictures of your remodel. So glad to hear that you had a great run.
Have a wonderful weekend!
home remodels are always hell but even more so when its the kitchen.
Wow! And this is your idea of a summer vacation?! [grin] Picking out stuff and making decisions for the home is always fun in my opinion.... but don't forget to feed and water the kiddos. :)
wow. that sounds alot like my *organized chaos. lol
Remodeling stinks to the Nth degree. We had to do our flooring after a flood and there was 6 inches of dust on EVERYTHING! Including the Christmas tree which I dragged out the door and had to hand wash every single ornament. Needless to say, they didn't all make it.
we redid our kitchen two years ago and it was a MESS! my son was only 8 months old and things were everywhere! was it worth it? YES!!!!!! so, hopefully yours will be too!
I've worked on two kitchens and lived without them for a few days or a month at a time - I HATED it! :) I hope you endure it. ;) I'll be praying.
But the pay off will be great!
I'm nominating "chaordic" to Websters today!! Love the definition and plan to use it in a sentence very soon.
How did you learn to do all the house stuff yourself? I have projects, but know "know how."
Yay for remodeling! it's a lot of work, but totally worth the effort. I groaned every time my hubby wanted to pain another room in our house ... but in the end, the wall colors got our place at least rented for two years :) I may have to borrow you when I go get a new car; I suck at haggling!
I'm back!! Came to grab your button :)
Okay, I thought our remodeling stuff was bad....but we're not doing the kitchen (yet, anyway). We're just painting all the walls and pulling up carpet and linoleum to lay wood flooring and tile. We're also gonna do crown moulding. We may or may not replace the kitchen counters.
More power to you....I've been trying to help my husband as much as I can with the painting but I've ended up having to wrangle the kids away from the paint more times than I can count so usually after an hour my husband's handing me the credit card and screaming, "Take them to the mall...please....as far away from here as you can".
Like I said, we did the EXACT same reno last year, and then ended up doing the entire downstairs AND the back yard as well. So I feel your pain.
I still think you should head to a hotel!
Guess what... my cousin and I are thinking of doing the Las Vegas Marathon in December. Wanna go with us?
I can't wait to see pictures of your new kitchen - yay! But OMG, so much work! And wow on running 7 miles! You're awesome!
Post a Comment