6.24.2009

Managers...

Honeypiehorse did a little post about Managers, and what makes a good manager. It got me thinking about some of the managers I've had in the past. For example:

• Dan- The creepy bad breath guy when I worked at the grocery store. He would come up behind you in the little cashier standing spot and lean over your should, way too close. Gross. {remember him Kate?} He still smiles/leers at me when he sees me at the grocery store today. 

• Nate- best manager ever. Might have had something to do with the fact that he worked out  a lot. And bent over a lot. 

• Icky guy who I can't remember his name- I was working at a clothing store at the time, and he was the guy who made the schedule manager. He was "engaged" to a girl at the time. However, this did not stop him from constantly hitting on me, and in fact one time saying, "Say yes and I'll buy you a ring and marry your right now." About 10 minutes later, his fiancee came in and he kissed her, then winked at me. I quit before I found out if they ever made it. I have my guesses though. 

• Same store.. Assistant Manager- in fact, he was married to my cousin. Laziest Man On Earth. He worked 10 hour days and would literally sit on a stool the whole time. Entire. Never move. Oh, and make sex jokes the whole time. 

• How about the boss at Subway, who put a 17 year old girl on a shift that ended at 2 a.m by herself? She was awesome. Even on Halloween night she put me on a shift alone. Luckily, Core and I were dating and he came down. Nothing like putting a minor girl alone in a place on a night when Ax Murderers are free to dress as themselves and wander town. {Not that it crossed my mind.} One night? She put my 15 year old sister on a shift that ended at 1 a.m.. My parents made her quit the next day. Where was this manager extraordinaire? Drinking at the Legion, wearing a miniskirt bought from the kids department. 
Oh, and when I complained that a customer was harassing me, hitting on me, saying horrible things about my boyfriend, sexually explicit stuff? Ignored me. 

That pretty much sums all all the managers I've had. Obviously I have had a good experience with them. Give me a principal anyday! Wait, forgot the manager at American Eagle. She didn't have a chance to show me her stuff, because I quit after 4 hours. Took one look at the dressing rooms I'd have to fold and booked it. 

Share your stories with me- had a bad one? Are you a bad manager? It'll give me something to read when I am supposed to be mowing the lawn tomorrow. Or picking out doors, hardware, trim, ect. 

31 comments:

Alicia said...

NOt a bad idea for a post...let me get started on this.

honeypiehorse said...

Wow, you've run the full gamut of creeps. I was thinking more of 'white collar' bad managers but clearly there's a whole untapped spectrum of bad management in retail. Bad breath guy makes my arm hairs stand up in a bad way, eeeeeww! Congratulations on always standing up for yourself, as a teacher you're in a great spot to pass that self-confidence along.

Mrs. M said...

I'll have to give this some thought - I've definitely had some good ones!! How did you ever manage to survive this far around all those creeps? :-)

Unknown said...

No doubt! What great role models, eh?

Kelli said...

I haven't encountered the 'creepy', but I have had my full share of lazy, crappy, not dedicated (of course, what am I expecting of fast food/mall managers?)
Worst story- The assistant manager left for a new store. The manager gave me a raise, her schedule and her responsibilities (but not her title). This went on for a year. He said I could not be the 'assistant manager' because my school schedule got in the way. He then gave the position to a younger girl (who was also in school) and told me "Well, being assistant was never in the cards for you. I mean, it was like a carrot on a stick. If you thought you were going to be assistant, you worked harder."
Ouch. I quit very quickly afterward.

erin said...

i had two awesome manangers. one was when i worked at the bookstore at the community college i went to. that was the best job. i pretty much got paid to sit there and do my homework!

and then i worked at a flower show. that was actually the best job ever. and i still go visit the owners when i'm up in MN. and they give my kids free balloons.

and then there was the worst bosses of all. i worked at a hardware store and the owners/managers were awful. he'd always want us to look busy, so when it was slow he'd tell us to go clean the aisles, but if we were doing that he'd yell at us to be at the registers. he constantly had pms. thank God i got married and moved away so that i didn't have to work there forever!

Amy said...

Hello Sara,

First off I tagged you today. If you want to play along please do so. Okay I had bosses I guess more than a manager.

My first boss was so cool it was my first job at 16 and I worked in the day care room while parents worked out. My boss was Nancy and she was so sweet and helped me out and let me run the summer camp.


Then after that I worked at a day care starting my college years and I so love my boss. She was nice and kind and I still talk with her when I go back home if I have time.

My worst boss I had right before I had my baby. She was trying to be kind and let me know we would not be friends since she was my boss. But she got to personal into my life and dragged that into reviews and was just mean. I think she may have had problems.


Now, I have my most favorite boss ever well she really is not my boss but I work with her. That is my little one.

Great post.

Chris said...

How about the manager at the pizza joint (I use 'joint' intentionally) who would come in slobbering drunk and high and cuss VERY loudly at us pizza makers? Lots of fun here. I quit and told him I couldn't work for someone I had no respect for (and for the verbal sexual harassment from the other employees... what is it about guys in the restaurant business?... blech!)

Then there was the office job I held after I got married. "and other duties as required" should be defined a little more clearly for a receptionist. *sigh*
"Looking good, girl" is also forever ruined for me. Ick.

Barbaloot said...

I had a manager once that started working at a place about 3 years after I was there...so I basically trained her and such. THEN---when I made a work video with another co-worker, wrote the script, put in all the time effort etc. SHE took credit for it! Seriously-I was SO mad! Okay, basically I'm still SO mad!

E @ Scottsville said...

Hmmmm, I've only had a couple of "Managers" and one was nice, the other was too busy hitting on my sister to notice me.

I've had some great "bosses" at different companies - and every time it was a "male" boss, I've liked them fine. However, I've learned that "female" bosses are MOODY, BITCHY and have something to PROVE. I do NOT like working for females!!! I don't need their power trips.

Unknown said...

Loved reading about your crazy managers :) Luckily right now I have an AWESOME manager, but I have had a few that made me want to quit. I have worked for the same company for 11 yrs. (started in College) but I had this one manager who put her hands in her hair during a mtg. we had and later she pulled me aside and told me that by her putting her hand in her hair, that I should have known that was the sign to change the topic of conversation. Can I say CRAZY! Lucky for me she got laid off a few months ago. :)

Miller Racing Family said...

I have to say that I have had some great bosses. I had a manger in college that never made me work a weekend so that I could always go racing.
Loved your manager stories, I am glad you lived to tell about them. Sometimes having bad jobs make us appreciate the good jobs a lot more.
Have a great day!

Debbie said...

The thought of some of these dimwits being managers scares me to death!

Helene said...

You sure have had your fair share of creepy bosses!!!

I'd have to say my worst experience with a boss was the Rabbi (yes, a Rabbi) who used to hit on me constantly. He was married with 3 kids and not only was I his secretary but I also babysat his kids. I knew his wife and she even helped me get into graduate school! When they were about to move to Canada, he took me out to lunch one day and confessed his "undying love" for me and said that if I wanted to be with him, he'd leave his wife and not move to Canada. How creepy is that????

Then there was the boss at Sizzler who used to snort coke in the office in the back. He'd always have parties at his house (he was married too) and he ended up knocking up one of the waitresses (who was also married). He quit and no one ever heard from him again.

Together We Save said...

I had a crazy first boss, I worked fast food, and he hit on me. I was only 15 at the time. I stood up for myself and then he gave my parents home phone number to a creepy customer who was no less that 50. Gross.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've definitely had your share of bad, creepy managers. I had one manager, a woman, who made me wish I never took this one job. I think I only lasted 2 weeks. It was outrageous.

When I was pregnant with my son, I moved out of state and started a new job. My manager told me I wasn't being paid to think, just to type. I walked out.

That about sums up my bad experiences.
-FringeGirl

Kameron said...

Most of my managers have been inept or useless, not so much creepy! Try having 6 bosses in 2 years. Gotta love that! I'm pretty much my own boss since no one knows what's going on.

Mocha Momma said...

Oh my gosh, I never really thought much about managers I've had.

I had a super Department Head at my very last job. This woman was the most well balanced person I've ever met.

She could always make it right if one of us messed something up. She could teach you so much without embarrassing you and she'd make you feel ten feet tall when you knew you had screwed up big time.

I would go back there to work in a heart beat if she were still there. Unfortunately she died from cancer several years ago. I think she was only 50. She'd still be working there if she were alive.

OK that's my story.
Nannette

Anonymous said...

You really made me think about my old managers LOL! I guess there's always the icky guys with the bad sex jokes, and the ones who are laziest as hell! I remember as a teenager I once got out at 1:00AM from my job in retail, and my mom came looking for me at the store and made a big'ol stink about it, I'm still embarrased!LOL!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I have long believed that I should be in management. Sadly, I have never had the chance.

To remedy this situation, I have nominated myself as the CEO of our household. I like that title better anyhow. :)

-Francesca

Kaci said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn you Sara and your hilarical-ness. :) It's a word teach, I promise. LOL!

Loukia said...

You have had your share of yucky managers, that's for sure! I can't say I have had any that bad...

{Kimber} said...

I gave you an award on my blog...come see

{Kimber} said...

I'll give you the two most recent
current: Awesome...he is the same age as me--cool, understanding, & cute as a bug

previous: The devil is a woman and she is it!!!!!

sums it up...!

Charisse said...

I have only had two jobs since I started working at 19. But, since the first job lasted 9 years and it was retail, you can imagine that I had a lot of managers.

Razi - tried to yell at me for being late one time (granted I was over an hour late from lunch which means I took a 2 hour lunch) when he himself was late every sigle day to every single shift - I laughed at him - in his face - and refused to sign the paperwork

Rand - was constantly flirting and making inappropriate comments about me and the girls in my office - when I tried to file a sexual harassment complaint I was asked if I thought he really meant it the way I took it

Shawn - incredible manager - probably my favorite ever - compassionate - no nonsense - brilliant - I cried when I left the job - but we both knew I would go on to something better - we are still friends today

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Hello my BFF! I've left an award on my blog for you today. You'll have to go find it!

Managers... I think the main problem that I have with that word is the first three letters. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. that I can think of has been a dick, prick, man-whore, loser!

I'll only give you one example... it's the worst one. My boss had been sexually harassing me, and I finally had enough. I told him I was going to tell his wife and that I was going to file a suit. His response was to tell me that if I did either of those things that I would find myself chained to a cinder block at the bottom of the ocean. I quit that job that day. The worst part... he was a family friend FROM OUR CHURCH and I was practically the nanny for his family as well as the day job that I had at his office.

I still sit here and just shake my head in disgust whenever I think of him and his beautiful wife and three lovely kids. UGH!

Now go get your award!

heidi said...

Gosh, I don't remember them all. I had one that was the "big boss" and iI was the nigh and weekend manager. I thought I was a moron because I could never balance the till right and would have to call her for help. Turns out she was embezeling the money and went to prison. I still think I'm a math-moron, though.

Brenda said...

I was a newlywed working at a bank and the manager called me in to his office. He asked me "how's your money"? I assumed he was talking about my cash drawer, but he wasn't. He had noticed that I wore the same five outfits everyweek and was wondering how I was doing financially. He also scheduled two of us tellers to work the late shiftwhen the business area we worked in was deserted and we had to close by ourselves.

Anonymous said...

I hope I wasn't a bad manager in my supervisory roles!!! Yikes!

I am in bad manager hell as we speak...at least when you're 16 and working at the mall, you know it's temporary. It's hard to keep my chin up when you're 35 and trying to get ahead in your career!

Counselormama said...

OMG, do I have some stories about managers< how on Earth so many of them got to be a manager was beyond me! I may do a Freak magnet Friday post about that topic alone!

Rachel @ Called to Grow said...

Isn't it funny how the "Dan's" of this world never move on to anything else? I mean, he is still there winking at you, leering like a looney before he goes and stacks the cucumbers. Strange, I say, strange.