But, on the other end of the spectrum, over in PeeWee's world? There is...
Yoga
Yes, yoga.
I get the benefits, I hear about the results, I do, I swear. It is just that yoga is so hard. Not even factoring the whole ADHD thing, I have a seriously hard time trying to clear my mind and connect with the Earth. When the yoga instructor tells me to clear my mind, it immediately goes like this:
• • • Ok, clearing my mind.
Yup, my mind is cleared.
What do you think about when your mind is cleared? Do you even think? Is it possible to not think? I don't think so. I should google that.
Do I need a new white tank top? I am supposed to be connected to the Earth, spread my roots. Do you think that my roots are touching worms right now? Wait, I am not thinking, right? • • •
See my problem? Then, they begin movement. I chada-something along with them, I kalamazoo too, I think. They tell me to move my leg forward. It doesn't. It is stuck right where it is. I have to heave the thing forward using my hands. No flow for me.
Poses? Torture. Now, I've said it before, my Wii Fitness asks me if I hit walls when I walk {I do.} So, tell me to do a Tree? My tree falls over. Multiple times. Center myself and concentrate on my breathing? I start to count my breathing and then realize that I can't inhale for 5 breaths, and that I must have sub par lungs or something...
Concentrate on a spot? I inevitably look at the mirror and start thinking that yes, in fact, my nose is crooked. Or my face is.
The Crane Pose? Shoot me now.

Look at her! If I did that? I'd have a broken nose. {Sidenote: Might not be all that bad, then I could get it straightened.}
I have to say though, I am getting better. I spent 3-4 years making fun of yoga. Then? I tried a few classes.
1st class- Lasted 6 minutes
2nd- 9 minutes
3rd- whole class! Yay! I went with my never comments sister to a hot yoga class. For those of you who are in the making fun of yoga stage, that is where they crank the temp up to 189 degrees F and watch you sweat like pigs before the class even starts. {Insert joke/fabulous image of a large, sweaty male in short shorts here}
Now? I can attempt to practice yoga once a week or so. I've heard it is good for running, so I continue to torture myself. My tree still tips, my breathing? Labored. My skill? Terrible. But I am trying. Side note: If anyone has a yoga video/class that
practices the child's pose the whole time, could you forward that to me? I rock that pose. Oh, and don't be expecting to see shots of me doing this anytime soon. --> I think I'd break something.
Unless of course, you want to come give me private lessons PeeWee?
46 comments:
Yoga and I aren't friends. I like pilates.
Here's the funny thing. I am visiting Peewee in 2 weeks in NYC, and I'm afraid she's going to make me do yoga. I will make sure she is very, very embarrassed by me.
i'm not adhd, but my mind wanders JUST like yours. i would totally have the same problem. that is, if i actually tried pilates!
and YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH i want to see you do those poses!
oops, i mean, if i tried YOGA. not pilates.
Oh my gosh, those are some crazy poses!!
Zumba would be more my style! LOL
You should try Vinyasa yoga! It's a fast paced yoga, where the poses flow quickly into one another. I love it! I am the same as you-my mind refuses to shut down, and I find myself thinking of everything I need to do. I love Vinyasa style. You get the benefits of yoga, but at a faster pace!
I enjoy yoga...but I still make fun of one of the first classes I participated in. The instructor told us to imagine yourself turning blue...start from the top of your head and all the way down to the tips of your toes. As you can imagine my out loud laugh didn't go over to well...
Here's to turning blue!
Ha i'm still at the poking fun at yoga stage but i have managed to make it through a whole class once, unfortunately i couldn't hold any pose for longer than 2 seconds so i didn't go back in fear of embarrassing my poor yoga freak friend.
Hey Chiquita! Your blog is great! I have you down for 2 entries in the basket giveaway! I also am thinking about giving away a Vera Bradley Handbag next week. . .so. . .check back!
Be Blessed!
Amy
You are so funny. I can on ly do some of the poses on Wii Fit. That's about all I can handle. I need to try again, even though I'm kind lazy. Visiting your blog makes me want to get back into it. I'm gonna get Wii Active soon. Maybe that will help. me.
I still haven't tried those yoga DVD's you sent. And now I'm scared.
I definitely have trouble clearing the mind clutter as well. But I do like yoga - especially the hot variety.
Keep it going Girl!!
Just keep trying - it gets easier (but I never can completely clear my head!).
Hey chicka. I am getting to where I love my workout. The Jillian Michaels I am doing is still KICKING my butt. Or making me kick my own butt. But (HA) now that I have been doing it for two weeks now - I can definitely tell a difference when I DO NOT work out. I have never been a big fan of running because I have HUMONGO boobs and I always picture one bouncing up and down and giving me a black eye. YIKES! How would I explain that to people?
Oh, I love yoga! I sometimes have trouble clearing my mind too though. When that happens, I just focus on my breathing. At least then I'm thinking about something that's important in yoga.
I can't run a mile but give me an 1 1/2 HOT YOGA class any day! 100 degrees and 60% humidity is my idea of heaven. I am telling you, if you can run a marathon, that you can handle yoga. So far, the HOT Yoga series is my favorite. Either way, your practice should improve your running. Keep it up!
Yoga hurts. I don't know why this excercise was invented. If someone wants to get in-tune with themselves and the earth why can't they just sit indian-style ( should I be saying criss-cross applesauce) outside on the ground and close their eyes. There are other ways to excercise that don't make you contort your body in such a way that God never intended. Anyways...
I LOL'd literally about your sister who never comments. Some people, sheesh.
I think I have taken a beginner yoga class ONCE in my life - it's just not for me! I have zero balance, too, according to the wii. ;)
Walk into walls! That's great! I didn't know the wii was such a smart ass. Good to know, because I am sure that it will be asking me the same thing when we get ours.
I walk into doors and walls. Actually, I also have no sense of where my head is. I hit it on everything. My desk...refrigerator...car...cabinets.
Something may be wrong with me.
You're so funny!
When I belonged to a gym, I went to a yoga class a couple times. I couldn't beleive how difficult it was. You really need to concentrate. There were older women in the class kicking my a$$.
Hang in there! I'm sure you'll be rockin' the difficult poses soon!
Anna
I think I will pass on those crazy moves.
Well, dang - real people can actually do those poses? Ha ha ha, I'm with you - I don't have a CLUE how to turn my mind off. The whole time I'd be evaluating the people around me, saying "Oh she's better than me"... or "Well, at least I'm doing better than that one!" or whatever.
And by the way STACY, my name is ERICA! =0)
Had to harass you. =0)
E
i am with you girl on the whole yoga thing!!
i've tried it several times and can't get into it -- kind of blah for me! but, the HOT yoga sounds like it could be fun!!
although, i don't like the 'chanting and meditation' stuff they do....oh well, i'm glad it works for some ppl.
thanks for making me smile picturing all these poses -- and that 'crane' pose!!!! omg!!!
Oh my gosh-are you talking the p90x yoga? Cuz that is just pure death!! I hate it. And I'm like you---not a yoga person. I can't even touch my toes. I want SO bad to be able to do the crane pose...but I can't yet. It's my goal.
I do kinda wanna try one of those hot yoga classes...maybe one day.
I haven't figured out how yoga can be mind-clearing, when my mind keeps saying, "NOPE, we're not going to do that."
Geeze Louise! I could never hold those poses. I am so uncoordinated. I'll stick to prenatal yoga where my favorite part is the lying down thing at the end!
LOL!!! This entire post cracked me up!!
I also have the worst time trying to "clear my mind" for yoga. I also fall over a lot ... my sense of balance is awful!
A clear mind means it is time to make a list!!
Must do...
Must buy..
Don't forget...
Yoga and I are not a match.
I haven't tried yoga but I tried pilates a few weeks ago and loved it! I really want to go back but first I was sick and this last week I could not get up (it starts at 6:30am). I felt so great the morning I actually got up and went. Wish me luck with staying on the wagon.
You kill me. Yah. Yoga is super hard. But guess what? You get to make fun of people the same way I do! So that makes it fun!!! Teachers, students...no one goes by unharmed!
I would give you privates ANY day. I just don't know where u live. And I swear, I would NEVER make fun of YOU. :)
Oh and PS...Yoga is THE BEST for runners. Will save your knees :)
I hear you...I have friends who are in amazing shape and swear by the relaxation benefits, but I just can't mentally grasp that I am working out unless I am moving a lot.
I do like to do a quick video at night. It's a 10 minute relaxing yoga 'workout' with lots of stretching...so nice...
ROTFLMBO!
You totally got me with your "quiet thoughts"! LOL! I do the same exact thing, lots of times, I just end up thinking about what I'm going to do after the class! ;-)
I have tried Yoga. I would like to be able to do Yoga but like you, i just fall over. I guess I get a work out from trying to get back up.
roflol i LOVE the idea behind yoga. But... that's about as far as my love for yoga goes.
ahhhh, yes...child's pose! i could live there forever! i haven't done yoga for about a year now...but i heard the same, that it helps with running. i should give it a try again! i'm snot sure if you've inspired me or scared me!!!! i am yogaish...i say i do yoga, but i don't really DO yoga...ya know?!?
Humans were not meant to do that. That is why they named it after a bird!
Your mind goes like my mind in Yoga class. I feel like I am bouncing off the walls. I went with my mom for the first time and we giggled through the whole thing while getting dirty looks...no good.
Those poses, forget that! Never will I ever be able to do that, and honestly, it doesn't break my heart that I wont be able to do it. Oh well, I am sporty, give me a ball and a pair of sneakers and I'm your girl. :)
I do yoga every night. It's called sleeping in the same bed as my hubby! And I am so ADD..
Are you contagious because I really need to catch this exercising bug!
Forget it. I need high energy cardio. I don't have ADHD or anything but I'm so damned tired that if I lay down on the floor for any amount of time and, yk, BREATHE, I'm gonna crash out.
Good for you being a good sport...can't never could...and it sounds like your still trying yoga. Keep up the good work...remember it's great for us to cross train...I keep telling myself that as I run.
Wish some of the love for running would flow thru these veins!
ugh that whole meditating idea just confuses me. Can you think of nothing? and how? I can't just leave my mind blank it's always thinking of something, I do love the Yoga poses, but ofcourse I can't do the ones in your pictures, I can only do the Wii poses:)
i've only tried yoga on my wii fit. total failure. my four year old is better at it than i am! lol.
I'm not patient enough for yoga either.
Not all people are cut out for yoga. But it is GREAT that you are sticking with it! Be careful with hot yoga...b/c it makes your muscles so loose there is a higher chance of you over-extending or pulling a muscle.
Other than that, great job! Don't forget, if you have any fitness questions visit rockworkout.blogspot.com or email me directly at rockworkout@gmail.com. I am a Master Trainer and could give you tons of advice on fitness, even running tips you may not have known!
Post a Comment