His sickness was fed at the fair this weekend.
Who: My husband
What: Finding the oldest person in the room/fair/state/universe and spending the next 30-40 reminiscing about things such as
-tractors
-trucks
-good ole days
-haying
Actually, this may/may not be what they talk about. I usually leave when I see my husband's eyes light up as he spots an elderly man.
This guy here? Most likely about the right age for my husband.

This is no tall tale folks. The man has been this way for years. When we joined a Young Adults group at church? He hung out with the leaders, who were in their 50's.
Go to the state fair? You can spot him at the tractor dealers talking about the H's with the old men.
Favorite golf partner? Retired
Superintendent at school? Calls him son and invites us to his cabin.
At our friend's going away party Sunday? Spent the WHOLE time talking to the guy's dad.
I am not saying I am opposed to this, it is just that usually I am left talking to either:
a) nobody- I just stand with my eyes glazed over
b) the kids- they actually come in handy for this. I simply wait a few minutes, rile them up and sic them on their father. Cuts about 3-4 minutes off our wait time.
c) some lady who wants to talk quilting
I cannot count the number of times I've sat in the car as he has gotten his fix talking to guy at the gas station pump. Out there talking at the pumps for 15 minutes... He always comes back so excited about the stories he's heard. His eyes are lit up like a Christmas tree. So sweet.
Now, tomorrow night? We are going out with people our age. Can he handle it?
And?
You see why it doesn't bother me when I drag him shopping and he has to wait!?
p.s. Another Asherism for you. "I's can't pick up my toys mommy. My arms are all out of chocolate milk."
46 comments:
Maybe he can volunteer at an old folks home!
ok... from the title i was figuring this was gonna be that you couldn't take asher with you after the poop incident with your jeans, or because he keeps opening the bathroom doors...! :-)
that's so funny about corey. i hate being the one standing there looking all dumb or talking to the kids just to pass time. thankfully my husband doesn't like to talk as much as corey! DEFINITELY make him wait for you while your shopping. you deserve it!
seriously crackin' up about this one! very funny!
there could be worse things :) I'm glad you taking him shopping for payback! :)
Awww!! That's actually kinda sweet!! Did he have a great relationship w/ his dad or grandfather?? That is so interesting!! LOL, you're probably rolling your eyes!! haha!
Love what your son said! Too cute!
Your husband and mine would get along just great. My husband needs to be talking all the time, and will chat up anybody and everybody. Its endearing and annoying at the same time.
I LOVED the Asherism - hilarious.
Well...it could be worse...he could be searching out college girls. LOL! But, I do understand what you mean. Some of our dearest friends are our parents' ages, rather than our own.
Now my hubby goes about it all differently. Same issue...keeping us waiting...but he's busy playing peek-a-boo with any toddler within a 50' radius. I think he's addicted to toddler grins.
Be thankful you don't live in Venice, Florida where the median age is somewhere in the 60's!
The joke around here is that people retire to Sarasota and the retiree's parents move to Venice.
You would be doomed, but your husband would be thrilled!
Thanks for making me laugh!
That is too funny. My hubby has a different kind of issue. he gets approached by old people EVERYWHERE he goes. Every store they ask him to reach things or where to find things or they talk his ear off in the checkout lines. He's nice about it, but he would love to go in and get out without someone bothering him. He's around people all day and would like a break from them. :) Our guys are quite silly.
LOL that's funny. Rob willt alk to anyone about anything. The girls and I know that when we see daddy talk to someone and he gets "the look" on his face that we're all goners. We're not going anywhere, we're gonna be late, we're gonna starve to death and die while he chats. So irritating.
Oh, and give that boy some chocolate milk, will ya? Sheesh.
Well. At some point in your lives, the age differential will HAVE to decrease. There's not many 100 year olds going to the functions you mentioned.
LOL! Oh dear...I can totally picture this. Siiigh, really cute though, I bet the older guys are just all smiles after he leaves though.
So funny! And oh so sweet! The old folks probably love talking to your hubby. It probably makes their day! My husband rides a motorcycle so anytime we see another bike in a parking lot we have to stop to look at/admire it. If the owner happens to be around, my husband will talk to them too! A girl can only listen to talk about chrome and mufflers for so long!
You never fail to make me laugh!!! My hubby always talks to people I don't know and I just stand there and smile ... ha!
P.S. - Asher may make you money one day with those funny sayings!
That is too funny! He'll be one of those old guys one day that can't go anywhere because he'll run into somebody that he knows and have to talk forever.
Asher is a hoot!
Who is he going to talk to when he is that age?
That is so hilarious! I wish Adam would talk...to anyone. But once you get a few beers in him, you can't shut the guy up.
My dad is the same way, he will talk to ANYONE.
cracks me up. if my husband wasn't so shy i'm sure he'd be doing the same thing. instead it's me talking to everyone. and i love the asherism. how can you resist that one! :0)
See,now that just tells us that Corey has SUCH a huge heart! I love that he loves the old folks. I think that shows he's a genuine and sincere people-person and he values the wisdom in them.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Such a sweet man ya got there!
That's hysterical! I'd go crazy waiting all that time at the gas station, though.
I'm trying to see your point of view, I really am. But I love talking to old people too! There is just something about their stories that makes me love life a little more. Sorry!
Loved the Asherism. Too Funny!
The next time it's my turn to do the dishes I am so using Asher's excuse!
I love talking to elderly people as well. They have so many interesting stories to tell. I don't actively hunt them down like your hubbs does, but I can talk to them for days!
Can't wait to hear how tomorrow night goes! :)
Too funny. I have occasionally worried about my guy. His favorite music is Frank Sinatra and he loves Cadillacs.
i'm pretty sure i need to go home sick from work because my whole body is all out of chocolate milk!
That's too funny! I bet he makes their day, though!
Love the Asherism!
Oh I think it's sweet!
Oh my gosh that is too funny... Greg is like that a little bit... he either wants to talk to older people or people in their early 20s... he just doesn't like people his own age. haha.
milk all the shopping for whats its worth haha.
Well ... I guess everyone needs a hobby? I guess stalking the elderly to reminisce about days your husband, um, never saw is as good as any. At least this hobby doesn't cost anything like (cough) some husbands I know whose hobbies need a separate bank account.
Your husband is such a selfless person! Too many people over-look the knowledge that elderly people have to offer. He knows that there is more to life than just this current moment and thats pretty darn encouraging!
Sneaky sneaky little Asher!! What a way to get some chocolate milk!! So cute!! :)
I think it is sweet that he likes to talk to the elderly men. I bet that just brightens their day! Not many people would even bother.
He def has an old soul and I'm sure the old folks love it! When I worked at a nursing home I loved hearing the wise tales and recipes that many ladies use to give me. It was lovely but I don't know if I could just go and hang out with them and play bridge!LOL
I think it says a lot about your husbands maturity that he hangs out with older folks. I also think it says a lot about his kindness, too.
Sound slike you won the husband lottery :)
And that wasn't some sort of mean spirited swipe at your DH!
Um, I think I just fell in love with Asher all over again. Not being able to pick up anything due to a lack of chocolate milk.
Pure awesome.
I am totally going to use that line sometime!
-Francesca
Hey, at least it's not an obsession with the oldest WOMAN he can find! Then I'd really be concerned.
And sweet Asher. What can I say? First he feeds you a booger then he spits out such infinite wisdom about his lack of chocolate milk. LOVE it!
I also have a talker for a husband. But in our case he will talk to anyone! I am always amazed at how people think he is the shy one, spend five minutes with him and you will change your mind.
Have a great day!
Yay, I hope you join the SWAP. I don't think she's an ax murderer :)
He sounds like my brother. I say my brother has been a 50 year old man since he was 18.
love the last quote.
Um, should I keep it to myself that I also gravitate towards the elders? They are usually so much more interesting than the young crowd. Seriously, they are!
You are so funny! I don't have a talker husband, so I think I'm in the clear...LOL
I just found your blog and LOVING it! I'm following. :)
You could try directing the conversation to prostatic hypertrophy and piddling problems. At least you'll have something to talk about.
Oh...I think its sweet! Send him over to talk to my Dad who would LOVE to burn someone's ear up for about 10 straight hours. HAHA. And my husband doesnt do anything like this..so maybe thats why I think it is endearing. LOL.
I think that is so funny. :)
Post a Comment