8.26.2009

Peanut Butter


I love peanut butter. (see? See how I even had to use italics to further stress my point of my love of peanut butter?)
Love it.
Jif, smooth, Skippy, Crunchy, all natural, smushed peanuts in my mouth to simulate peanut butter, on bread, waffles, crackers, cookies, spoons... I don't care, just get it in.
Sometimes? In a pinch? I will even eat it on chocolate. Like, say... Reese's, Reese's pieces, peanut butter M&M's, butterfingers..
Now, peanut butter is a good fat, and decently good for you. In moderation. It is pretty high in those said fats, and calories as well. In moderation it is all good. However, moderation of anything has never been my strong suit.
So I came up with a plan.
I will not eat peanut butter for 2 weeks.
I first started this plan on July 18th. Today is August 26th. I have not followed the plan.
First time? Made it 3 hours. Other times? Went all the way up to a day before failing miserably.
This time though? I am sticking to it. I asked my husband to hide the peanut butter. (He pretty much bites at hiding, btw. Took me about 32.6 seconds to find it.)
Now? The stuff is following me. Mocking me. It is everywhere I look.
On the shelf:

"Hi Sara! Just one little bite won't hurt...or two..or 6.."

Mocking me.

Hiding behind my hubs Coco Wheats, peering at me:

Even last night? When my husband asked me to get the drill (the Craftsman one, not the Phillips..ahem..) it was STARING AT ME.
Can I do it? Can I make it a day, 48 hours? A week? Am I the only one who adores peanut butter this way?
(I am going off peanut butter because I eat way too much, and I am pretty sure it goes straight, straight, straight to my saddlebags!!)

52 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

HMMMM!!! Well, I love peanut butter too. Next time you run out, DO NOT BUY MORE for two weeks. When you're at the grocery store, you will have to physically force your will AGAINST peanut butter, but its just two weeks. Save yourself 5 bucks?

Barbaloot said...

I'm a firm believer that peanut butter makes everythings, seriously EVERYTHING, better. Will it help if you have company? I'll join you!

Anonymous said...

You are NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!
If it wouldn't make me sick, I would eat the entire container!!

Rita Templeton said...

You're definitely not alone in your obsession - I love peanut butter too! Especially when I'm dieting, for some reason. I think I'll just have a teeny fingertip-swipe through the jar, and then end up shoveling it into my mouth by the spoonful. Whoa.

{Kimber} said...

PB is slammin!!!!
Why may I ask are u refraining???

Unknown said...

You can DO IT Sara!!

LucieP said...

Of course you and your knees can do it! :)~ heehee


But my question is why the insanity? give a girl some PB love!!

Stephanie said...

LOL Your Peanut Butter (all melty with on toast or a bagel mmm) is my chocolate!! Good luck!

erin said...

ok. first of all i was like "YES! she has a whole post dedicated to her love of peanut butter."

and then i read it. how sad....

why don't you give up something like say, shredded wheat for two weeks?! :-)

and btw, i love the little notes on the peanut butter... too funny!

Furry Bottoms said...

Dang, now I've got a hankering for butterfingers.

Jenn said...

Aw man...now I want peanut butter. I may have to go grab a spoon.

In a related incident, I was doing very well avoiding Nutella by simply refusing to buy it. Until my sister-in-law left a big, honkin' jar on the counter.

Hmmm...now I want both.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

That feeling you have about PB is the same as I had for pop. Bt I have managed to not drink it for 8 weeks! But let me tell you, Those first two days were A.W.F.U.L!! But now, I can go past the pop isle and just smile. You can do it. I have faith in you.

E @ Scottsville said...

Okay, so it is absolutely, positively, certifiably, definitely, without a doubt, official.... you are weird. =0)

But I love ya!

I don't love peanut butter. Don't dislike it. Probably haven't had any in years... except for in the occasional candy. I'm weird like that. I'm really not addicted to or nuts over anything other than my Big Red and Dr. Pepper. I gots to have me some of those two sodas!

King J's Queen said...

If I were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one food with me, it is quite likely that I would bring peanut butter. But not just any peanut butter. Oh no. It would be Jif creamy peanut butter.

Would I go two weeks without peanut butter? Nope! The ONLY time I've gone without peanut butter is when I was nursing and my daughter was having issues with what I ate (no soy, dairy or nuts...yikes!).

So, good luck with your challenge! You have much more willpower than I if can make it.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

LOL, I love the pics! I love peanut butter, too. I eat it several times a week. Sometimes, I just eat a spoon of it. YUM!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Great post!!

You and my daughter would be a great match. She loves peanut butter, and asks for it all the time. Sometimes I think it is the only thing keeping her alive.

Anonymous said...

I'd say Your NUTS! but I've got peanut butter cups in my cupboard that now thanks to you I'm going to have to go and eat...

So no, It's not just you (love the NO and stuff on the jar, very creative!)

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!! I love PB as well. Maybe not as much, but oh how I do go for it when I want it. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
honeypiehorse said...

I can take it or leave it MWAH HA HA HA HA! Just kidding - be strong.

Kelli said...

I agree with what someone else said, just don't buy any more. Tell yourself that what is in the house (pending you have what a normal person has- 1 jar) is all you can have for 2 weeks? A month? Just ration it. That forces the moderation without denying yourself-- which just leads to trouble!
So if your will power holds out, you can have a spoonful a day for the next month, and if it doesn't, you get a yummy burst of peanubuttery goodness and then the temptation is gone.
Hiding never works and men do suck at it!

Staci said...

I just got Max eating peanut butter on celery...he loves it. I also like to dip carrot sticks in peanut butter. It's the same as having a candy bar with a diet coke...right????? :) Try it on a veggie and maybe you won't feel so guilty for eating the whole jar...just sayin'

Kristina P. said...

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but Target carries an ice cream called Fudge Peanut Butter that has whole chunky ribbons of PB in it. To die for. In fact, it is going to be my lunch today.

tara said...

lol, i love the notes. i also love the PB. and i'm giving myself a free pass on all pb consumption right now because as a temporarily single breastfeeding new mom, i need calories that i can consume with one hand. i'm sure i'll come up with some other excuse when dad comes home and i stop being the milk truck.

Jen said...

Why does all the good stuff have to be so bad?

I think I need some peanutbutter now.

Suzy said...

I confess. I love peanut butter as well. Before kids, it was simple---I just refrained from buying the yummy stuff. Now, with kids? THEY gotta have it!
I allow myself 2 spoonfuls of it each week. Otherwise I know I would go way overboard........

**BTW--Ever have peanut butter on top of your vanilla ice cream with mini choco chips sprinkled all over? The Best! Sorry if I'm enabling!

Michelle said...

Oh I love it more! Total comfort food for me. I am a Skippy girl though!

Stephanie said...

I didn't think I could love peanut butter more than I do...until I had the all natural, nothing added, smooshed peanuts with a little salt in a jar kind. Now, I can't buy anything else. And, if you haven't already tried it, get some Breyers chocolate ice cream, put a big ol' blob of peanut butter on it, mix it up and instantly be transported to heaven!!!!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I wish I could just not buy it, but my hubby loves peanut butter toast. Sigh. However, interesting fact- I don't much care for ice cream. A couple times year is enough for me.

peewee said...

ooh! Good thing you don't live in NY where there is a whole restaurant devoted to peanut butter called Peanut Butter & co. Ummmm, and this isn't helpful, but they have THE BEST peanut butter and they sell it online.

I've never been one to support any kind of abstinence. sorry!

(www.ilovepeanutbutter,com)

I mean, if you ORDER it online, then at least you have to WAIT for it to arrive! And that COULD take like a week! So there! You will have gone a week!

seriously? said...

mmmmmm (Homer Simpson style)..peanut butter. Skippy creamy is the bestest ever!!! Now I have a hankering for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. :)

Jersey Girl in Louisiana said...

i LOVE Creamy Jif. the only kind i'll eat.

mmmm now i want some.

More Than Words said...

That is hilarious! Never heard of a peanut butterholic!!

I do love Nutter Butter cookies!!

Amy said...

Man that peanut butter sure loves you. I love it also. I have the all natural and love it.

Kathy B! said...

Go Sarah!! You can do it!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Sara! I knew there was a reason I liked you! I LOVE peanut butter! I don't keep it in the house on purpose. I love butterfingers, peanut butter M&Ms, hell . . . I LOVE it on a spoon! It's a sickness I tell you. The only way to keep from eating it is not keeping it in the house. Did I mention I had Ritz with peanut butter on them today? DAMN!

The wife of bold said...

I adore peanut butter it's just a shame it makes my hubby gag!

Anonymous said...

when i was pregnant i LOVED peanut butter and would eat it on a spoonful with some chocolate chips...yummio! now, i hardly ever eat it because Owen is allergic...go figure!!!!! good luck with this endeavor of yours!!!

Mrs. M said...

I love peanut butter too.... in fact my sister and I used to ask for a jar of Jif in our stocking every year for Christmas (and we got it too). I probably devoured that little 8 ounce jar in a couple days. It's no wonder I struggle with portion control!! I still love PB, by the spoonful is the best!! But I try not to have too much of it!! Good luck!!!! ;-) Also loved seeing your meet & greet with Manic Mother, how fun!

Anonymous said...

OMG Peanut Butter is the best! Had a peanut butter and honey sandwich for breakfast this morning, which is the best by the way and was eating it on a spoon straight from the jar about 10 minutes ago. I could not last two weeks!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

I pretty much love all the pictures you took to go along with this post... it makes it that much more awesome.

anyway, peanut butter is like a little slice of heaven. i can't say i am nearly as bad... i don't eat it everday. sometimes i even forget we have it but then once i remember and find it, i eat it nonstop until i am over it.

be strong! you can do it!

or just don't and run an extra mile instead... {not that i have any room to talk since i just don't do the running thing}

Kaci said...

Not with PB but with coffee...fo shiz. Good luck with the withdrawls...ugh.

The Mother said...

A spoonful of PB with a few chocolate chips--heaven on earth.

Meg said...

PB is so yummy, I actually bought Reese's PB cereal! That will be my dinner tonight. :)

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I've been thinking about PB all day long. Thanks. I think I'm gonna make choc/PB oatmeal tomorrow.

Kristen Andrews said...

yum PB, I like it too but not as much as you my kiddo loves PB though but never in his candy (strange isn't it)

Corrina said...

I love it too! I could and almost do eat it daily. When I was a kid, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, every school day, until junior high. I try to stick to the natural versions, but still I know there's plenty of calories. Have you ever poured a little Hershey syrup over a spoonful of the nutty goodness? It's yummy!

Anonymous said...

umm yeah I think I gained the most weight when I absoloutely had to have my five hershey kisses with one tbsp of Peanut Butter, the problem? It soon became 7, then 10 then 20 with 3 tbsp, you see where I'm going? Now healthy me tries to eat it with apples:)

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

OMG... I seriously hope you know that I didn't read this post until RIGHT NOW and that I would have never tweeted you about the delicious home made yummy peanut butter that I got from the farmers market the other day if I had known you were trying to "quit" like this!
And by the way, there is nothing better in my opinion that dipping chocolate cookies straight into the peanut butter jar and eating it all up!
Do you think it's possible you and I were seperated at birth?

Guacaholic said...

Yum.

I ate PB&H sandwiches every single day from Kindergarten all the way through high school. My love of the PB is large.

Have you tried the Smart Balance no-sugar-added creamy PB? So good, and virtually guilt-free! It has Omega 3s! (Guilt free... that's what I told myself when I slathered some on top of a PB & Oats Fiber One bar this AM for breakfast/lunch.)

Holly said...

What amazing self control! Could I give up chocolate for 2 weeks? I don't want to find out! ;) Good luck.

Crystal said...

I like peanut butter with chocolate but not so much by itself.. I used to eat it out of the jar as a kid and now that just seems blah yucky.. but then I eat frosting out of the cup so what the heck do I know..