10.15.2009

Top 10 Thursday

Top Ten Thursday Button
I think that there are times in all of our lives that we think of the jobs/careers we could have had, if things had played out differently. If only we would've taken that path rather than this one, if only we wouldn't have flubbed the lines during our 2nd grade school play... maybe we'd be the current Angelina. If only.

However, on a far more interesting (to me) train of thought is- what about the jobs we are glad we don't do? I mean, think of all the jobs you could be doing that would send you over the edge. Here are my top 10:

10. Car Detailer- um, I have ADHD and not a whole lot of attention to detail. More of an ideas person. I'd last through the front drivers seat.

9. Accountant- When (for a short, short period of time) I was in charge of figuring out the checkbook? If I found an error, I'd just adjust it. Rather than go back through and find my error, let's forget it and move on. In the past, right? (Or if you are my husband, wrong. Let's find the $.03 error. NOW.)

8. Bank Teller- I actually did this for one summer, right after high school. Terrible. The money was smelly and gross and I was terrible at balancing my drawer. My nose ran the entire summer, which I believe was from the grossness factor of the money coming in.

7. Cleaning Person- I tend to clean what I see. Meaning, if I am cleaning the bedroom and see something that belongs in another room, I go to put it away. While there, I see something that needs cleaning/organizing and start on that. Then? I see something that belongs in another room and go there, see something that needs cleaning and...you get the picture, right?

6. Painter- No, not just because I am sick of painting, but because I stink at it. I paint, make a mess, paint again. Touch ups? No thank you. Taping? Ick. Cleaning up after? I try to tell my husband that it must be far more environmentally sound to just throw everything away rather than waste the water to wash it.

5. Doctor/Nurse/Medical Field- I do not like to see gross things, much less touch them. My students picking their nose is enough for me.

4. Personal Shopper- buying clothes for someone else? Sad.

3. Coffee Shop person-Barista? Not sure what these people are called, but their job seems tough. Getting all the drink right? Adding non fat whipped something with extra nuts? I'd forget. Besides, I'm a clutz and would burn myself all the time. Sure of it.

2. Salesperson- I am not good at pushing people to buy something. If they don't want it, or can't afford it, fine. I'm not going to use every trick in the book to get you to buy it.

.....#1 Restroom Attendant- When we were in NYC a few years ago, we went to the Statue of Liberty. One person had the enviable job of spending their entire shift inside the bathroom. Constantly changing TP, wiping things down, cleaning- for 8-10 hours a day. And let me tell you- that bathroom? Did not smell like roses. (Be thankful, so thankful for your education and opportunities.)

Notice a theme to these? Want to try your own hand? Use my subject or your own and jump on in! And check out...

47 comments:

Deb said...

Agree with all 10! And I was a barista, (horrible) cleaning person, and CNA at different periods in the past.

Anonymous said...

What a great list! I definitely would not want to be a bathroom attendant.

Suzy said...

Yes, being a car detailer would put me right over the edge as well. I'd be detailing one car for ummmmmmm, 10 hours or so-----and losing the company money Big-Time! Okay, who's kidding ~~ I'd be fired--LOL!

A great list of "never-wanna-do's"!

Barbaloot said...

I could never do anything medical---I can hardly even listen to stories without feeling ill!

Kaci said...

I would so work at Starbucks if they paid me what I make as an accountant. LOL! =)

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of your choices! I think I would be Barista for a short time to copy how they make the amazing coffee at Starbucks, but to stay as a career I don't think so...

"Cookie" said...

Loved the list! So I guess teaching was a good thing for you right? Your next list needs to be what I would HAVE wanted to be. I'd love to hear that. You would probably come up with some craziness!! :)

Trish said...

Love your list girlie!

I was a teller for 3 years and I went crazy!!!! The worst was seeing the elderly people coming in at the 1st of the month w/ the sad little Social Security checks to live on all month long!

But all the banking holidays were Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I love these! I'm gonna see if I can somehow manage to work this into my post today (or in the future). :)

Stephanie said...

This is a great list. A few years ago when we were in Mexico one of the bars had a bathroom attendant! Oh My. Not a good place to be!

The Stiffs said...

Fabulous list. So happy to be the stay at home mom that I am...

Unknown said...

#7 made me laugh a little because i do the same thing!!
at least we are getting something done whether it is what we started out doing or not :o)

as far as a bank teller/balancing a checkbook....me and numbers don't go together very well...

Unknown said...

I like to paint, but sadly I suck at it so my husband won't let me do much of it.

Miller Racing Family said...

I totally agree I would hate to be a bank teller or accountant. I love to spend money but to balance it stresses me out. That is why I give all financial matters to the husband. What a stress free life that makes!

The Good Cook said...

Oh, I always feel sorry for the bathroom attendant and tip a dollar.

Great List - I'll have to put my thinking cap on for my own 10.

E @ Scottsville said...

Wow Sara.... I never thought of those poor bathroom attendants. YUCK!

And I'm just imagining me... if I just have to... well... you know... go #2....

I wait til theres mobody else in the public restroom. Imagine my horror if theres somebody paid to stay in ther!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! The horror!

E @ Scottsville said...

I meant NOBODY, not MObody. That'd be like more than usual, right? I want NOBODY!

Kimi said...

I was a cleaning lady for awhile. ICK! Not enjoyable.

Helene said...

I'm the same exact way with cleaning...that's why very little gets done at my house. Just the other day I finally got some laundry done and as I was putting it away I started sorting through all the kids summer clothes and putting those away in storage then I started re-arranging their closets. The laundry never got put away! It's such a relief to know someone else has this same problem!!!

What a fun list...I agree with you on every single one!!

Kristina P. said...

I would totally be OK with the personal shopper one.

Kameron said...

I clean like that too and the hubbs get so miffed. He tells me I have no attention span. The way I look at it is, I am wasting less energy walking back and forth if I work like that. It all eventually gets done just not in any semblance of order!

Kekibird said...

I might be able to do the personal shopper because while I'm shopping for them, I could scope out what I'd like to buy for myself!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I couldn't do any of those jobs.

Especially the bank teller. I am AWFUL with numbers and customers would yell at me for taking too long. I'd probably cry, they'd tell my boss and I'd get fired..

Anonymous said...

Funny. I would hate many of the jobs on your list. I also balance my checkbook the same way as you. That's why my husband insists we have separate accounts. It keeps him from having high blood pressure. :-)

-FringeGirl

Liz Mays said...

Anything involving cleaning for anyone else is an absolute no for me!

Mrs. M said...

Those are good. Don't work customer service either!! ;-)

Amy said...

I love number 4. But I want all of the good stuff. Have a great day.

Jessica said...

#10 made me snort. And you just might make an excellent sales person- sometimes that attitude is exactly what people need! ;) xo

Theta Mom said...

I would want to be a judge on Idol. Would that count?

Elizabeth D. said...

I am SO the same way when it comes to cleaning - I get distracted so I never really finish cleaning what I intended to!

Tracie said...

Great list/great topic! I wouldn't want to be a dentist - causing people pain, smelling bad breath, looking up their noses- blech.

The Dental Maven said...

Hey! Dentists get such a bad wrap. I love what I do! Getting someone out of pain or creating a smile for them that makes them confident - it's awesome.

Anonymous said...

This is a fun one. I'll list a few here (keep in mind I love the show 'dirty jobs' so I can think of some good ones)

Sewage treatment plant person - just ick.

Gas station attendant - I'd be high all the time from the fumes

Construction worker - I don't want to be blamed when your house falls apart.

The cable guy - everyone hates the cable guy (I think that's worse than being a dentist).

Crystal said...

I am so the same type of cleaning person lol...

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Good list. I agree with your list. I would add garbage collector too.

momstheword said...

Oh dear, I wouldn't want to work in a bathroom all day either!

I used to sit in baggage claim and check people's tickets to make sure they matched their baggage (back in the day).

You can't imagine how thrilled the people were to not only wait for their baggage but wait in line for the one person (me!) to check it at 3:00 a.m!!!!

Jenn said...

I've been a cleaning lady. It's not fun. I still feel the urge to fold toilet paper ends into points.

Anyway, I have nominated you for an award...don't feel obligated to participate if you'd rather not, just know I love your stuff!

Foursons said...

I clean the exact same way as you! It's so irritating that I get so easily distracted. LOL!

Loukia said...

Great top ten list! I so have to play soon! I agree with your list, too... wouldn't want to do any of those jobs! I'd hate to be a pilot, too. I'm too scared of flying!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Hilarious! I busted out loud with your nose dripping reference. Too funny.

How about a toll booth operator? I think I would rather pluck out every eyelash than be stuck in a two by four box for 8 hours(touching money and also you can imagine what sights you would see looking down/in people's cars....*shudder*)

or how about a bra fitter in a fancy dept store? hmmmmm, a little awkward?

Dakermom said...

That is too funny! I'm thinking my list would have been very similar to yours. I'm exactly the same way when I clean, and balancing the checkbook, although my husband's worse at that, so most of the time, we just don't, which works out GreaT (sarcasm)!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I would be a train wreck at all of your ten!

Holly said...

I so get it. If I hadn't gotten chickenpox that Christmas season, I would have been able to sing that solo in kindergarten and I could be tight with Beyonce now. Ah well.

Michelle said...

I worked in banking for 6 years (2 years as a teller) and loved it! I worked with some great people and enjoyed getting to know my customers. I also balanced like a champ so that helped.

I have thought that about the restroom attendant too. Stinky, stinky, stinky, so not worth it!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} said...

i agree with your entire list including being a barista which I did for a year at starbucks. i spent everyday daydreaming about when i could quit and get a different job! probably doesn't help that i worked in an area with really snotty, rich, full-of-themselves customers!

Charisse said...

So funny. I have not been by in a while because I have been busy NOT HAVING A COMPUTER. NOR HAVING INTERNET!!! EGAD!!!

I am in accounting right now. Unfortunately, I am good at it. I do not enjoy it all that much, though. BLECH! Numbers make sense.

Going to school for nursing. Er, I will be in January when classes start for me.

And I am SOOOO a cleaner just like that. I have to have baskets for each room while I am cleaning. That way I am not tempted to leave the room that I am cleaning. It is a sad, sad, OCD thing that I have.

honeypiehorse said...

Postal worker