11.03.2009

The Bird- part 1

Back in the day, okay, 1996-1997, right after I turned 16, I had quite the set of wheels. Yes, I was the proud owner of a cheap car my parents bought for me 1989 Ford Thunderbird. We just called her The Bird.

The Bird was a huge stepping stone into my “independent life.” With The Bird? I had freedom. I could go where I wanted, whenever my parents would let me.

This was no ordinary Thunderbird, no- The Bird was special. She had a dent in the side that I paid some fool $150 to fix. He knocked it with a hammer and spray painted it white. Klassy fix. I rarely washed her, so she appreared to be 2 tone- brown and white. I imagine in her glory days she looked much like this.

I did not own her during her glory days.

She sucked gas like a hog. When I first got her, you know, back when gas was cheap? She took over $37 a tank, and that lasted about 3 days. The Bird had very worn shocks, so when my friends would cruise with me, they would often feel ill from the bouncing effects of her. I had only to say, others PAID money to get the “no shock” effect. Me? Free. We rolled down the road, bouncing all the way.

My favorite memory of the bird is cart pushing. My friend and I had the great idea to take a shopping cart from “our” grocery store- the one we worked at, and push it with the front of our car to the “rival” grocery store 6 blocks away. Across Main Street. Did we make it? Heck yes.

We were master cart pushers.

However, the 2nd time we tried? When we were going to push it into one of my friend’s crushes driveway? Um, got pulled over. Try explaining to the cop why you are 3 blocks from the grocery store with a cart on the front of your vehicle.

The bird? Only lasted me 16 months, but what a 16 months they were…

post signature

50 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Ah, what wonderful memories we have of our cars. My first car was a 1979 Mustang. They weren't cool anymore by that point! ;-)

Foursons said...

Hahahaha- so what did the cop end up doing? Can you ticket for something like that?

Barbaloot said...

Wow-I was never creative enough to think of driving a cart in front of my car. Maybe I should try---so I don't have to walk the cart ALL the way back to the stand in front of the store after I grocery shop...

Ace said...

Ah, those were the days! The days of busted up cars we thought were awesome. Even if my dad did have to have to drive to get it started for me almost every time I stopped somewhere.

King J's Queen said...

My T-Bird...totally different story. Drove like a dream even after 200,000 miles. Midnight blue. That was one sharp vehicle!

My first car, though, was a 1977 Honda Accord. It was old by the time I got it, but I LUVVVED that car. Vroom, vroom.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

PS - you make me feel OLD

Nicole said...

Awww car memories are the best, especially when the car was old and beat up! thats funny that you got pulled over, lol, what did the cop say? I imagine cause it sounds like you were in a smaller town (from the Main Street) he laughed and let you go? My first few cars were really old too, I remember my 86 toyota Carolla lasted me until 250,000 miles and the last time I drove it to Jersey to visit, it had a broken muffler, a cracked windshield, a spare tire...I figured it was time to let go! There was one time when I was driving to the mall with then boyfriend and my window actually fell, yes FELL through the window slot in my door! I don't know how but we had to hold it up until we got back to my house and we could take off the door and put it back in place and glue it there! fun memories:)

Frugal Vicki said...

Awwww, those first cars. I actually got my mom's old Honda Civic. Pretty little car, good car. But it wasn't a hottie mobile by any means.

Mama4Real said...

Cart pushing might be an ingenius idea...

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Funny, I did a post last week on the gems I drove when I was younger. One of them was a Thunderbird too, but a 1979 one. Lucky me.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Funny, I did a post last week on the gems I drove when I was younger. One of them was a Thunderbird too, but a 1979 one. Lucky me.

~*Michelle*~ said...

HAHAHAHHAAHHAH! I can totally picture the cop/cart scene.....too funny!

Cherish the memories of The Bird. I wonder where she is today? Can you imagine if it was still running with someone's TLC?

{Kimber} said...

ahhhhhh your first car!!! I have memories of mine too...they all sucked now that I think of it!!
what DID the cop do?

erin said...

hillarious! i SO want to hear the rest of the cop story!

Jen said...

This was great. Whats going to happen next?

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I bet the cop had to try not to laugh. Too funny.

Liz Mays said...

I can't believe you pushed a cart down the road with your car!

Tracie said...

Too funny! What's next?

Tina said...

So funny! My first car was a 1990 Geo Storm with decals that I thought were so cool! When I was in college, I drove a 4-door 1989 Cutless Cierra. It was gray and rusted out along the bottom of the doors and my friends and I called it "Rusty."
I love that you named your car! One of my friends had a copper colored Oldsmobile that we called "Penny."

More Than Words said...

I think my husband had a car like that, but his was sky blue!!

KK said...

My brother worked at a grocery store and we woke up with a cart in our front yard one morning. Now I'm wondering if it was you...;)

Cass said...

First ~ with your sense of humor this is not th epost I expected when I read the title... heehee.

Second ~ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the shopping cart tale. That is classic, don't ever forget that one.

And last ~ can't wait to see what Part deux is!

Unknown said...

I love the shopping cart story!

honeypiehorse said...

My first car was a Fiat (which stands for Fix It Again, Tony) Lancia stick shift. Ah, the days.

The Stiffs said...

I had the pony. Good times.

JennyMac said...

the shopping cart story made me laugh out loud. And 16 months is plenty of time for all kinds of good fun. LOL.

E @ Scottsville said...

So.... Sara - this is how my mind works. Let's say you got into some wreck with this car of yours and rolled her. Would you then call your dad and say "Daddy, I just flipped the bird!" and how would he have responded?

ha ha ha

I know. I'm pathetic. Hey, I gotta make myself laugh these days!

Kameron said...

At least your first car got you around! I got a 67 VW bug (that I wanted so dang bad) and I think I pushed it more than I drove it!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Awww! First car memories! One of my first car memories is speeding along the freeway at 100 mph! Don't turn me in, k?

peewee said...

HAHAHAHAHAA>...the shopping cart story is PRICELESS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. My first car was also a T-Bird. Come to think of it, it might've been the same year as yours. Mine belonged to my parents, but they passed it along to me. It was gold. I went into the ditch so many times with that thing, due to it being Winter and rear wheel drive. After that beast, I was the proud owner of a little red car that had no power steering, whom I lovingly called Elmo. Good times, good times.

The Good Cook said...

My first car was a little VW Bug that I had to share with my older brother. He painted it white with house paint and a roller... LOLOLOL... those were good days!

Miller Racing Family said...

I think we all thought the world of our first cars, even if they were close to heading to the junk yard. I think we kept my first car for 8 years. We had to get rid of it as little sport cars aren't made for car seat. Loved the idea of the cart pushing and if we could have only have been there when you were discussing the matter with the cop.
Have a fabulous day!

Amy said...

Great story. Had me rolling with the cart pushing. I my first car was a 1985 Ford Tempo. It name was Kirby what crazy times I had..

Guacaholic said...

THERE'S A PART II???

That car RULED. It was like the motion in the ocean, baby. Seriously, that thing ROLLED. Both down the road and back and forth across it.

I don't remember the getting pulled over part. Were we trying to put the cart in Mike D.'s driveway?

Good times!

AiringMyLaundry said...

How cool :)

My first car had an odd smell.

Jenni said...

Busted for cart pushing! I had no idea you were a criminal! :-D

I had a Dodge Aries, and every now and then the driver's side door would fall off. Good times.

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Awww what memories. Please stop by my blog. I left you something.

Holly Lefevre said...

At one time the Thunderbird my was dream car...scary! Then it was a Chrysler Lebaron Convertible...double scary! My taste has evolved...I hope.

Holly @ 504 Main

Theta Mom said...

There is something special, a bond we have with our cars, right?!

Alicia said...

hahaaa!! i would have LOVED to see you pushing the cart down the road! thats awesome!! and man...the bird is a classic...i got stuck with a dodge neon...i would have MUCH rather had a pimp ride like the bird!!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I have such fond memories of my first car. A hideously large, navy blue Chevy Malibu. I once put a bike on my back seat, it was that big. An adult sized bike.
Please tell me the cop laughed a little?

Debbie said...

So, did you get a ticket for pushing the cart? That's a great tale.

Kaci said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I so wanna know the rest of that story about the cop and the cart. =) I had a 89 Nissian Sentra that was red back in the day but was a orange red when I had her.

Amy said...

I have something for you on my blog.

CanadianMama said...

Aww, I remember my first car too - such a beast but I just loved it!

Betty Manousos said...

Awww.. those beautiful days!
I used to get my dad's Fiat.
One day, my dog, a cute coquer, fell through the window!Yes.
Happy Sunday!
xxx

Michelle said...

What great stories. I can picture you getting pulled over pushing shopping carts with your car. I also have found memories of my first car and some of my friends first cars. We even used to "cruise".

Heather of the EO said...

OH my...that's hilarious. SOOOO something I would have done back in the day :)

ZenMom said...

Too funny!

I remember my first car...the Dirtmobile. It was one of those old tiny Honda Civics and oh how I loved that car.

Unknown said...

My first car was a sweet mustang.