11.08.2009

Running Post #213

I love to run.
It is my release, my passion and though I may look like a stiff legged, thigh shaking dork running,
I love to run.
When I hurt my IT band this past spring it was hard. I was running upwards of 40+ miles per week and doing very little cross training. Why? Because...
I love to run.
During the months of June and July, my total mileage was under 100 miles, which would've been 3 weeks worth before. I had to concentrate on more strength training and other stretching to heal my body. I don't mind it, but
I love to run.
I honestly went into the Twin Cities Marathon not having any idea of whether my knee would hold out and I would be able to finish. It did, and I finished feeling great. I honestly think that the reason it was so great is because I took the time off, rested and did strength training.
Now?
My knee hasn't bothered me for 2 months. Slowly but surely, I have been running more and more. Back up to 30+ mile weeks again, and long runs of 12+ miles.
{I love to run.}
I know, know, that I am probably pushing it. I need to step back down and not do so much.
But...
I love to run.

post signature

44 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I wish I could share that same passion!

Amber Page Writes said...

Oh, I hear you. I've never run that far, but I've always loved the way it makes me feel. I thought I was going to have to give it up forever after I blew out my knee a few years ago, but sporadically, I take up my love affair with it again.

I hope to get back to where I can really run again soon.

Jen said...

It is great that you have found your passion.

Ace said...

So, I bought new shoes (mizuno) so that's a first step right? Now I just need to get off my butt and do it! Motivate me, I love your enthusiasm about running!

Deb said...

I hear you! I've been slowly working my way back up for about six months (after back-to-back pregnancies and ensuing time/energy-sucking newborns) and love running more than ever. But I have learned finally that beating my body up is not a good thing--and that good rest and nurturing are just as important to getting stronger and being able to keep running. Be sure to take care of yourself so you can keep doing what you love!

Erin said...

I wish I liked to run ...I need to just start and build up my endurance!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I wish I did. I really do. no equipment, can be done anywhere, doesn't cost, but I just can't go more than a couple minutes. I need to try harder, I think. Good for you!

Jen said...

I, too, love to run.

But I have to say your mileage is very, very impressive.

Foursons said...

Good for you! I HATE to run, but I admire people who love it.

Barbaloot said...

I wish I could catch that passion for running! I tried...didn't work so well.

Liz Mays said...

I despise running, but I'm so glad you find joy in it!

Tina said...

I love to run, too! No, that's a lie. I do run, but I love the results more than the actual act of running. Nothing, I mean nothing gets me into shape faster than running. I am so impressed by your mileage! Do you run outdoors even when it gets cold? That is my problem...I hate running in the cold.

Theta Mom said...

Can you rub some of that "love to run" business off on me? Could totally use it!

susan said...

you always motivate me to get back to grind.

i took some time off after my 5k, but just started to get back to it. the time change has made it quite difficult. i walked/ran a long time today and now my hip hurts bad!

glad to read you are pain free!

King J's Queen said...

Is that the Forrest Gump trait coming out in you? Shall we expect to find you jogging through Navajo Nation in the near future?

I'm kidding, of course. So glad you enjoy running. Wish I could do the same. Running would be bad for me, because it would give me two black eyes.

Mama4Real said...

Right before my back freaked out, was when I started running again. Alas, I'm am still on hold.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

You're awesome! I love to run, too. I just can't go as far as you, yet!

erin said...

ugh. i can't even run a freaking MILE! my calves hurt SO bad when i run. even when i stretch. oh well.... i'll let your love of running make up for my strong dislike of it!

Corrina said...

I'm so jealous! How do you find the time to run that much? I'm struggling to run even just a few times a week. Ugh. Glad your injury is healing!

Alicia said...

I am so jealous! I really want to start running but I dont even know where to start. Maybe you could do a post on good ways to ease into running:)

***the way you described yourself running made me thing of the episode of Friends where Rachel is embarrassed of how Phoebe runs lol! I am sure you dont look like that though:)

Unknown said...

I Love that you love to run! You are so inspiring and I am so glad that your knee is back to good and you can be that crazy runner girl running more in a week then I drive. LOL :)

Sarah said...

It amazing what rest does for your running :) I am still waiting for it to get out of the 80's so I can enjoy a good long run without heat stroke. Sigh. Enjoy your cool running bliss.

honeypiehorse said...

I can't say I know what you mean. But I sure love my Nike Fighting Fit class!

Jamee said...

This post makes me miss running so bad!

Tracie said...

I wish I could run. Every time I try, I mess up my granny knees. I'm glad you have found your 'thing'.

E @ Scottsville said...

Okay, nevermind. We wouldn't get along afterall. It's official. I hate to run.

=0)

Ha ha ha! I do love to run to the store for clothes though! That's FUN!

Mayhem and Moxie said...

I know you love to run, my darling. If you didn't, how else could I vicariously exercise?

I like to think that you run for both of us.

:)

Kameron said...

I think you're nuts, but in great shape! I wish I could even like running let alone LOVE it! Ugh. 12 miles is like 3 days worth for me and I have to force myself.

CanadianMama said...

I haven't run since I was 5 months pregnant - I miss it so much. I need to start making the time again!

Amy said...

Keep going...

Meeko Fabulous said...

I'm so jealous! With this stupid ankle. I'm so mad at it. I was supposed to start a week ago. I'll start soon enough . . .

Anonymous said...

How did you initially get into running? I'm extremely out of shape and I've tried running a couple times on the treadmill and I get really bored.

~*Michelle*~ said...

I get into a zone when I run.....I love it too. Now I just have to get my treadmill fixed and get back on that badboy......my butt is now getting alot "closer" to the back of my thighs. neat.

Miller Racing Family said...

I loved McSass questions about how you got into running, hint, hint we would love a post about it. I am so impressed with your drive and the distance you run each week. I thought I was good to work out five days a week but girl you take the cake.
Have a great day.

Mrs. M said...

Glad you are back doing what you love!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I quit running because of a bum knee that I've been too chicken to get checked out. Sigh.

Holly Lefevre said...

When I hear you talk like that, running doesn't sound half bad. I am trying to run...will see what happens. I am sur eif I "just do it" I will like it.

Holly

Stephanie said...

Sigh, I wished I loved to run....i love to eat popcorn....not quite the same:)

Helene said...

Wow, good for you!!! It must be an amazing feeling!

Counselormama said...

I like to run, but my mileage is no where near yours, I am so happy to read about something that you love to do that is also good for both mind and spirit!

Mocha Momma said...

God bless you, ya Running Maniac! I think it's awesome that you run.

Enjoy it for many more years. We've got a friend here that runs by our house on his way to the gym and on his way home. He's done it for several years.

He is about 63 now and has a brain tumor. Do you think that has stopped him? Heck no!! He even ran to & from his chemo treatments.

I admire that man, not just for his running, he is also a great man of God.

May the Lord bless you as you bless others.

Take care,
Nannette

Roxy said...

seriously...how is that you LOVE to run! I just don't get it...I ran 4 miles tonight...and was SO GLAD when it was over!! I'm the Cross training buddy that you need, and your the runner crazed friend that I need!! What do you have to life in the frozen tundra????
how can we rub off on each other...
Tip for you...try BODYPUMP!!!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Does running around count as running? That's about as close as I can get. Run a few for me!!

There is an award for you on my blog today :) Congratulations to you :) Thanks for some great reading!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! That is so great!

I hate to run but completing a marathon is on my "bucket list". I am not ready yet but hopefully someday I will be ready.