In my 11th grade year I tended to...miss a lot of classes due to- fine. I skipped non stop. We were 6 weeks into 2nd quarter before my friend Kari and my teacher realized we were supposed to have study hall. Do you blame us? Our study hall was scheduled right after lunch. Kari and I figured they just meant for us to have a longer lunch period.
One day, we decided to take The Bird back to my friend Kari's house to hang out for the day. Only problem was that Kari lived right next door to me, so if we parked it in her driveway, we might get noticed. (You think?!)
We came up with a great plan to park The Bird on a dirt road about a 1/2 mile from our houses and walk to her house. Ingenious, right?
Again, genius. It worked great. We hung out, we watched TV, ate and relaxed. We had to get back for our health class that afternoon, so we got ready to head out.
Did I mention it was winter?
And I parked on the side of the road? Like halfway in the ditch? In the snow?
We were stuck. Totally stuck.
We totally panicked calmly and rationally thought through our problem. Our only option was to call her sister's husband who had a truck and beg for him to come get us out.
Much bribery and begging later he agreed. Only after promising to tell our parents. (Side note: Hello!? Wasn't he ever young and stupid? Way to sell us out.)
He arrived and called us a bunch of not-so-nice names, including idiots. (I'm not even going to go into what he is...)
So, being new drivers, Kari and I had not had a lot of experience being pulled out of ditches. He puts me in the drivers seat and tells me to hold onto the wheel and...something. I don't remember. I just wanted to get out before someone saw us.
He pulls, we fly.
The Bird flew across the road sideways and landed in the ditch on the other side of the road.
Sweet.
{Insert more name calling about how we were supposed to have done something with the wheel here.}
After teaching us the basics, he got us out. He did mention that the whole "fly across the road into the other ditch" thing may have knocked my car out of alignment.
Not that The Bird would've noticed.
Oh, and we missed Health.

31 comments:
This is too funny.
My brother had this bright orange Blazer, that wasn't registered. We lived in a small town, so the police knew that car. It wasn't registered, but he was driving it on some dirt roads, where some police were looking for kids, and sure enough, they saw him. It was great.
LOL love the name of the car!!!! I remember my first car fondly!
Funny! I just knew that when you said yall were walking back that your car might have been towed! Loving "The Bird" stories!
Funny! I just knew that when you said yall were walking back that your car might have been towed! Loving "The Bird" stories!
Those were the days. Nowadays, high schoolers may not leave campus during lunch, under pain of death.
I'm thinking that might be your fault...
this is so funny. I love it. My friends and I went to get fake ID's. I let my friend drive my 85 Ford Tempo and she ended up two flat tires. We called our teacher from high school to help us out. Oh was it a crazy day..
Oh, we weren't allowed to leave either. We had a covert plan, meeting spots and a stolen pack of excuse slips to aid our way...
That is so funny! My friends and I got into some scrapes skipping school, too. Ah, youth......,
Hahahaha- So did he really tell on you?
That's hilarious that you ended up in the ditch on the opposite side!
That sounds like something that would happen to ME!!!
hahaha!!
Hilarious.......especially ending up on the other ditch, great visual....great laugh!
So very rarely do I actually LOL at a blog post. I totally LOL'd at this... too funny. Ahh... high school. Can you imagine if we had had Facebook and Blogging back then? How old are we again? YIKES. xo
Snort. That's too funny! Good name for a car - mine was the shitbox. It was a great first car...
haha!! my sister did something similar. we were on our way home from our *ahem* youth group Bible study (which met at some people's house 2 miles away from ours). well on the way home we were following the guy she liked. he turned off onto another road (that my grandma lived on) and my sister followed. it was very snowy. and it was a back road, so no lines. and it was dark. and they she started playing chicken or whatever you wanna call it. well she went to pass him and she slid and went in where the plow over plowed the ditch. the snow went POOF all over our little car. so we walked down to my grandma's house, called our other friend's (who was riding with us) dad and had him come pull us out. bad part is that mom told us to come right home. so my sister was definitely in trouble when we got home! good times...!
woah! sorry about the hugely long comment!
Hey, bird is the word! Sucky bro in law.
I loved this flashback to highschool. Such fun. Oh, and I do believe that you and I had very similar experiences. I mean, didn't even "normal" 16 yo try to skip class as much as possible? :)
This brings back memories. Oh the memories of your first car. Hilarious story!!
LOL Don't you just love those brilliant teenage ideas!?? Sorry you missed your class!! :) I remember having lots of them, like one was trying to cross the median on a highway and got stuck in the ditch and had to hitchhike to a mall, crazyiness.
This is such a funny story! Totally sounds like something I would have done!
Thanks for posting on my blog! I would love to have a virtual workout buddy! Just let me know the best way to communicate :)
Jamee
Memories like that are so fun! Sounds like a good friend! The best!
Oh, you bad, bad, bad girl! ha ha ha
The thought of you flying across the road into the OTHER ditch is quite amusing, honestly!
To funny...the things we do when we are young...and the ones we got by with!
Pam
Wow, we both must have been feeling a little guilty about some of those stunts we pulled b/c I wrote a similar post this morning too!!
I actually had a visual of your car flying across the street....it made me laugh. Looking back, it is kinda funny now....right?
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL oh dear!! Well at least you have a good memory of it all. LOL!
Ha ha..oh I bet it wasn't funny then!
In college I missed more classes than I went to! This was a great story!
Hilarious! I wouldn't know how to get out of the ditch either!
Looks like the bird left you with some stellar memories!
ROFL! My Senior yr. in HS I was absent more days then I was present. Love to look back on the memories, and your Bird part 1 & 2 were great! Thanks for the laughs.
The bird has left you with some memories!!! And a good laugh now. :) Sooooo glad to be back! I missed ya!
Post a Comment