1.28.2010

No, I never learned

I've never claimed to be a saint as a teen. Or even close to one.
If you recall from my "Bird" stories- skipping school was one of my favorite pastimes my sophomore and junior years.
However, in order to skip school, you had to have a certain finesse. You had to be able to get out of school first.

A pack of excuse passes borrowed from the office by my friend Kari took care of that.

You had to have a plan of where to go- home. To eat some decent lunch.

You have to get away with it.
Um, that is where my finesse ended.

There was the time we were going to go to my friend Kari's house. We decided we had better take the back way, so we didn't run into anybody we knew as we drove through town. Smart, weren't we? (and we both had very recognizable vehicles)

So, here we are...on the back roads, driving 10 miles out of our way, just to avoid people we know seeing us (we lived in a smallish town.) Feeling all proud of ourselves for getting the passes, getting out of school and being so smart.

All of a sudden, we see a familiar car coming our direction.
We look at each other- no way. no way.

It was my dad.
Yes.
My dad.

10 miles out of town, on a back road, passing us. What are the chances? (i checked, only slightly higher than being killed by an ax murderer.)

I had in school suspension before I made it back to school.

more to come...(I wasn't about to give up or a fast learner

post signature

46 comments:

{Kimber} said...

that would be EXACTLY what would happen to me...
that's why I was just a good girl :)

Trish said...

what horrible luck you have.

I must say I never skipped school. If I didn't want to go I just told my mom I wasn't going that day. As long as I had good grades and made up my work she didn't care.

Can't wait to here more stories!

The Mother said...

My one teen rebellion consisted of wearing a dress with spaghetti straps on my last day of school (as the valedictorian, no less).

I got sent home to change.

Shell said...

Ugh, what are the odds?

I was a "good kid," but I skipped school a lot. It was so boring.

Ace said...

I love stories of your rebel days!

The Stiffs said...

We have the same sort of luck. My brother's was slightly worse.

CalgaryDaddy said...

Troublemaker! Skipping school in a small town? I would never dare!

Shane

Chandra said...

Did you ever find out why your Dad was going the backway? Maybe he was ditching work! LOL!

I don't recall ever skipping school, I was to much a chicken!

Kristina P. said...

I work in a center where you would be brought if caught by the police. WE aren't a detention center, but kids are picked up for truancy all the time and brought to us.

Hell, I was an honor student and would have been brought there!

Vanessa said...

I was always too scared to skip school. ONE morning my friends and I skipped first period. I was a nervous wreck!!!

I can't wait to read more so I can live vicariously through you! ;-)

Foursons said...

Bahahahaha! That is hilarious! I always left town when I skipped. That way those things didn't happen.

Nicole said...

LOL I skipped school once with my brother, we went to lunch and then to our grade school to say hello to a teacher...yeah pretty smart right? The next day we were called into the principals office, I argued our way out of detention though, hehe, with a little guilt trip about painting my moms place for her, and my dad knew we were off etc.

Thats kind of funny and crazy that you ran into your dad! I would've tried to turn that around when if he asked me what I was doing and say - well what are YOU doing here dad??? :) ahhh, the things teenagers do!

Miller Racing Family said...

How I wish I knew you in school. Isn't it crazy you tried to skip school and now you are a teacher.
Have a great day.

King J's Queen said...

I was so rotten, I skipped a whole year.

Meeko Fabulous said...

But most importantly . . . What was your dad doing there??? Hmmmm . . .

honeypiehorse said...

Bit ironic you're a teacher now...

Doc said...

Im wondering the same as Meeko... What was your dad doing there?

BNM said...

Lmao! The first & LAST time I skipped school was with my 1st boyfriend! We decided to walk back to his house! We took the back way, thru the woods and hopped fences. we were sitting in his room when we heard a car pull up.. it was his dad! I was mortified!! I hid in the closet as did he.. until we realized his dumb ass left the stove on! His dad told me I could walk back to school and he took the b/f in his car! By the time i got back to school my mom was there! Ive never been so embarrassed!! We got ISS (in school suspension) but that definitely put a stop to my skipping school! LOL!!!

Margaret said...

Ouch! That would totally suck!

Amber Page Writes said...

And that is why I never skipped. That is absolutely what would happen to me. Once I got to college, though, it was game on.

Elizabeth D. said...

That's too funny. My best friend and I also swiped passes from the attendance office in high school...except we didn't get caught! Great story!!! (And yes, you could make my tomato sauce, it was practically error proof!)

Anonymous said...

LOL! My mother worked in my school, so it was nearly impossible for me to skip. So very sad. ;-)

-FringeGirl

Roxy said...

I think he just knew you TOO WELL! ready to read the rest!!!

~*Michelle*~ said...

So funny.....I totally would have been right along side of you...well, maybe I would have dunked under the seat so I wouldn't get caught.

Either way.....I love it!

We used to go to breakfast at this little diner that was right up the street from the high school.....funny thing was that we would always run into teachers who were "on a little break" as well.

Amy said...

too funny.. Can't wait to hear more.

Mrs. M said...

Don't you just worry about what your kids are going to do when they are teens? Don't let them find out about this stuff! :) I was pretty obedient, but my husband, now that was another matter and I can only hope my son (or daughter) doesn't pick up on any of it! ;)

Tara said...

I skipped once in 7th grade. I just pretended to get on the school bus and went to a neighbor's house instead. Nobody had a clue until my report card arrived and showed 1 day missed. I tried to make my mom remember that dental appt. but she knew better.

Mama4Real said...

I am so living vicariously through your past. I wish I'd had more adventures!

Claudya Martinez said...

Not good!

Kaci said...

Awhhh hell!!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

VERY FUNNY!!!! I have that same kind of luck too, only I was too chicken to cut school.

Laura Marchant said...

I would have turned it on him and ask him why he was driving 10 miles out of town, lol

Tracie said...

We have the same kind of luck. It never stopped me from trying though. :)

Kmama said...

No way!! LOL

I skipped school once to go and visit my boyfriend, who was sick with mono. Sexy.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

LOL, that is great!!! (Not at the time, I'm sure, but funny now!)

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

I never skipped school. I was a perfect child.....or you might read this as "boring friend." Either way...never skipped. *sigh*

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

This is EXACTLY why I never skipped school! My mom was a SAHM, and she seemed to be EVERYWHERE. She knew when I breathed, so there's not a chance that I'd ever have gotten away with skipping school, or even a single class.

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Meg said...

Haha! That's awesome. My Dad new I skipped school (and he's a principal, lol).

Liz Mays said...

You are SO not slick! Teenagers have the weirdest sense of feeling immune! You and I would have had the best times together because I was trouble JUST like that!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

My Mom still gets mad when we bring up our misdeeds as teenagers. Ah ha ha

KK said...

One of my friends daily prays that if her kids pull something, that they will get caught by someone! Sounds mean, but she figures it's better to get caught than hurt themselves or others and might discourage them at least. She tells them all the time too!

Guacaholic said...

I had a whole route from SF north into the next county, approaching my house from the north. That way I could see if my parents were home, which happened only once. (I kept driving, I think. Like, 7 hours of driving around El Norte. Yeah, THAT was worth it.) If hadn't still had 'Sconny plates on my car, I probably would have been even more incognito. (Not so smart, this one.)

amanda said...

lol. that's a great story. i was never brave enough to skip school!! at least you were!

LBDDiaries said...

The ONE and only time I broke the rules about driving the ONE and only time I got to drive the car to school because of an after school game? My mom had checked the odometer and busted me that way since I'd cruised a wee bit before heading to the game. Who does that to their kids?? (my mom, that's who)

Tina said...

I feel your pain, one time I snuck out as a teenager and as I was being pushed back in the window, I landed at my Dad's feet. He made a mad dash out the door and around the house, thankfully my partners in crime hide or he may have harmed someone.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I am a cop's daughter, so I was terrified to skip school or get into any sort of trouble, but once I did let me boyfriend, unlicensed, drive my car. So stupid. We passed my parents on the road. Lost the car for quite a while.
The funniest part about this is that you were going home for lunch - not to shoplift, or worse! The things I look back on that seem so innocent now!