1.31.2010

Running the risk and the mouth

I'll run the risk of starting an argument here.
I {kindof} like to run my mouth.
I like facebook at times. I enjoy catching up with people, and let's face it, I'm addicted to all kinds of social media.
Like all of us, sometimes I think if I see another quiz about which movies people like I may vomit.
However, it really gets my feathers ruffled. {that's a lie, I don't even have feathers.} I get a bit torqued when I see groups like
"Make Drug Testing Require to Get Welfare."

Really?


Really?

Do I appreciate paying in taxes for a system that is often abused?

no.

Do I think everyone who is on welfare is a bum?

no.

Do we all know a story or two of welfare abuse?

I am sure we do.

That's not my point.

My offense is not in regards to welfare at all

It is to the close minded, small thinking people behind it.

Poverty, addiction, pain, horrible things are all around us. I sit here in a tax bracket that cuts our income by 25+% and complain?

I see what kids go through. I see and understand addictions. I have worked with kids who's (welfare recipient) parents are such low-lifes, the world would never notice their absence. Boys who walk in on their father performing sex acts on other men for drug money. Girls who's mothers encourage them to be a whore.

And we wonder why the welfare system continues to thrive? How do we expect these children to ever get out of the cycle?

It is horrible cycle, full of drugs, drinking, abuse, pain...and it keeps cycling.

Take this comment from the FB page:

If your going to collect a check from TAX paying hard working people, why should you be allowed to be intoxicated?

8 minutes ago · Report

You're right. Why should you? Oh, and why should you have had to been born to these parents? Why did you have to be abused? Why does alcoholism run in your family? Why can't you pull yourself up by your bootstraps and just fix yourself. You know, like ME?

I'm perfect. I've overcome everything. I never steal, cheat, lie or hurt others.

I take the time to offer my time, my ear, myself to help others.

I do it all right, don't you?

______________________________________________________

for a 2 year period, I worked in a hangout for disadvantaged youth. Heartbreaking, so heartbreaking. Yet? These kids had such spirit. Our goal at this hangout? Love. just love.
Love on these kids, show them boundaries, show them fun,

show them that somebody cares for them,
hopes for them,
wishes for them

Thinks they are worth it. Worth breaking the cycle.


and that? I think goes a lot further than joining a FB page.

post signature

47 comments:

Shell said...

I'm clapping for you through my computer, can you hear me? I even just cheered.

I have seen several of my fb "friends" join that groups and it's ridiculous. They have no clue.

For the ones who are too stubborn to see your point, offer them this: who do they think is going to be paying for all those drug tests?

Heather said...

i have to agree that i'm often confused about many of those facebook pages as well. really, what good is anyone doing just by joining a page? some people may actually help these "causes," but i'm sure more often than not more people just click on the button to join a page and don't think twice about it.

very true.....


p.s. as a side note, i'm dying about your tag for this post. :)

Ace said...

I liked this post. I agree with you. Kind of like how I get sick and tired of the forwarded emails saying "you're in our country now, learn english." give 'em a break. they came here for a better life, not to given a harder time.

Kristina P. said...

I was talking to a coworker about how after Katrina, in the first 4 days, the Red Cross raised $400,000. In the first 4 days after Haiti, they raised 4 MILLION dollars.

I think that people tend to have a very negative view of our poor and believe that people brought it on themselves or choose to live that way. It's really sad.

Alicia said...

I completely agree with you! I too am clapping!

Tracie said...

I'm clapping for you too. I think it's easy for people to click a button and not give any real thought to an issue.

Anonymous said...

I have a love-hate relationship with social media. On one hand, I love being able to hear snippets from friends that I would probably otherwise not normally hear. On the other? I am faced with appalling words that people throw out, words they would never have the guts to say if they were standing in front of the people they were speaking them to. Social media allows people to be cowards and react selectively and spin things the way they want them to be, not the way they actually are. I've seen that whole "mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients" and it's maddening. Hey, think about it. Babies born to moms who are cocaine addicts also test positive for the drug in their system when born. Guess they don't deserve welfare either, huh....(sarcasm

I have actually defriended people who offend me in ways I know they never would have dared to, had we been conversating in person.

King J's Queen said...

Well said!

I get so very tired of "protest this" and "support that" based on a little snippet that oversimplifies the issues.

I enjoy Facebook and MySpace. I enjoy it for friendships and keeping in touch. I'm not interested in using it for political views, protests, taking quizzes or begging friends for things for those games.

Mama4Real said...

No arguments here!

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

What? Do you mean I'm not saving baby seals if I play Sea Life?! No one is going to restore a full acre of rainforest if I join "Save the Jungle?" I have been deceived! If you tell me that kid's mom is NOT going to quit smoking after I single handedly got 1 million people to join that group, I'm going to be REALLY pissed!!

*rolls eyes*

People are stupid. Facebook proves it.

seriously? said...

Oh, I could not agree with you MORE!! I know this is why we are FB, blog and switched at birth friends (since you and my mom both share the fear of axe murders and all). Keep staying positive with our youth...they are lucky to have you!!!

honeypiehorse said...

I didn't understand this sentence at first: I sit here in a tax bracket that cuts our income by 25+% and complain? I was like, yeah, I complain about that! Then I got it. You are very compassionate. And I agree with you. But there is a point that a social net should be there to help others help themselves, not just provide hand outs to people who don't even try. Kids are a different matter, they should be much better taken care of than they are. But aduylts? Less sympathy. I agree about some of the FB groups though, I mean, REALLY.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!! It's a two edged sword and people should see it from both sides before judging..I applaud your words!

LBDDiaries said...

You said it just right. People don't *really* want to GET involved but if they can FWD or click a button or join a group, they can salve their conscience and go on to better things without ever thinking about it again. I saw that bit about the difference in money raised between Katrina and Haiti - sadly enough, STILL most of it does NOT get to the very people who need it.

Anonymous said...

We only make a difference one person at a time.

2Corinth1:4mom said...

Very well said... My heart, too, breaks for the children born into these situations. And I find it so easy to judge the parents, but then I have to remember to walk a mile in their shoes.

And while we're banning stupid groups on Facebook, can we ban the updates that so and so rescued stray pigs in Farmville. Or that so and so just destroyed a nation in Mafia Wars?

Betty Manousos said...

Well said , Sara, I totally agree with you!:)
Have a great week!
Betty xx

Jen said...

I have to stand up and cheer! This is a great post and I agree with you.

There are so many people that are hurting out there. They don't need judgments and people looking down their nose at them.

They need and deserve more.

Trish said...

Don't punish the son for the sins of his father.

Amen~

Nicole said...

I admire that you worked with disadvantaged youth, that is a really cool thing!! I would love to help kids in some way. I think its truly sad that some kids end up being into drugs and on welfare etc. I think its especially hard in todays world because even kids who experiment alittle (like many do/did in highschool) become addicted and then head into a downward spiral. I think its also sad that pharmaceutical companies are excessively prescribing drugs to young kids, ritalin and other antidepressants can often lead a kid into using drugs. great post!

Mrs. B said...

Well said, well said! Applause and cheers all around from my corner of cyberspace!

Guacaholic said...

**Jumping up and down and clapping in agreement.**

Agreed 100%, girl. You GO! I love it when you run your mouth!

Kelli said...

While I concur with the sentiment of the facebook group, I agree that joining doesn't actually do crap. I don't mind helping people, but these programs were designed as temporary assistance. With the financial should come some sort of emotional/educational help. Give them money to get on their feet but also give them help to stay that way-on their own.

The Mother said...

I doubt you're going to get too big of an argument.

There is not a single liberal who actually thinks that the way the welfare state is run is working properly.

And there are only a handful of religious right wing fanatics who would argue that it should be abolished in its entirety, and they haven't really thought it through.

In between, there is massive middle ground for change and adaptation, while still providing benefits to those who need them, want them, and can use them.

The only thing left to argue about is the details--and I would love to see a panel of economists and sociologists in a think-tank setting go to work on those details, instead of a bunch of idiots on both sides spewing ideology without data or sense.

But that's just me.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Well said.

susan said...

amen, sister!!!!

Chandra said...

What's the point of the FB fan page anyway. You know I 'sometimes' joing silly groups because it's silly but when it's something as serious as this, I don't exactly think that's where people should get thir information.
I agree with you..it's great people have thier own opinions but sometimes it's just better to keep it to yourself when it comes to this.

Kaci said...

Wow very powerful and I agree 110%!! Thank you! I hate seeing those types of groups.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and well said!

CalgaryDaddy said...

Great Work... And yes..breaking the cycle is the key!

Shane

Amy said...

some of those thoughts and pages are crazy on FB..

Happy Monday..

Margaret said...

I totally agree with you! I think we need to do more to help the kids get out of the cycle!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you.

This is actually why I've been contemplating breaking up with Facebook. I can't stand the semi-political messages or groups that people just join because 55 of their friends have. GAH.

Excuse me while I crawl back under my rock.

Danielle said...

I could NOT agree more! I am so ashamed of my country sometimes when we don't want to help those around us unless they have enough or give enough or something 'enough'... when is it enough to just want to take care of those who have trouble taking care of themselves?

So agree!

amanda said...

yep. agree. :0)

Tara said...

As a social worker who has always worked with the foster care system in some way and whose last job was at a residential facility, I totally agree. Granted, the success rate was small BUT it think making somebody feel loved and worth it will do more good than joining those FB groups.

I AM a Target lover!!:-)

Christina said...

Bravo! Great post.

I left a little something for you on my latest post. Just a little thank you!

Liz Mays said...

I am doing a standing ovation over here! FANTASTIC!!!

Meg said...

Amen girl! Both to you not having feathers, but also saying what clearly needs to be said. People are so ignorant and closed minded--it is sad. I also hate the comments about everyone on welfare being on drugs, let's talk about how I went to one of the wealthiest high schools in my counties and so many of my peers were getting high with their high income parents. People are stupid.

I am with you, unfortunately to support those that genuinely need and deserve our support we have to support the occasional bum--it happens. Kudos for saying what a lot of us thing.

Meg said...

Oh and to answer your question. I still have no clue what to get my parents--please dear God tell me you have an idea!

Pres. Kathy said...

Well said! I hope you have a great week!

The Stiffs said...

I don't know how I missed this post...other than my kids have been home from school since Thurs! Anyway, well said. Feel free to run your mouth when necessary.

I think someone else said this... when people say things like this (my FIL) I ask, "Are you paying for all the drug testing and rehab bills?" Clearly there is a problem with the system, much of it involves human nature. Drug testing will not fix it.

Avery Tales said...

This was one of the most well written post I've read in a long time. I completely agree with every statement you've made and I have such a difficult time understanding why people aren't more compassionate. I've had a very blessed life, but I understand that everything could have been so different. Why can't people realize their blessings and share what they have rather than judge those who live a difficult lifestyle. As if life isn't difficult enough for them as it is.

erin said...

wow. well said. *clap clap*

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm with you. People deserve respect. I grew up with the help of Welfare at times and it can be embarrassing and stigmatizing. Do we really need to add drug testing to it? I mean if you are poor, it must be your fault right. Let's drug test people in the top income brackets too. They get payroll tax breaks and why should they be allowed to be intoxicated if they are getting a break. Being poor is not a criminal offense.

Not to mention, wouldn't it cost tons of money to drug test everyone on welfare. Can't we focus our money and energy on something more productive.

Andrea said...

AMEN. I worked at a low income school for eight years....loved the kids. They can't help the situations they've been brought into. I get sick to my stomach when others talk as though they are somehow better because they're not on welfare. I just found your blog today, and am so glad I did! AMEN!

Andrea said...

AMEN. I worked at a low income school for eight years....loved the kids. They can't help the situations they've been brought into. I get sick to my stomach when others talk as though they are somehow better because they're not on welfare. I just found your blog today, and am so glad I did! AMEN!