I have had 3 awesome! Amazing! Slightly slow! runs outside this last week. Yes, it has finally thawed here in Minnesota and I am back outside on a regular basis. {I try to run outdoors as much as possible, but my husband doesn't get home until after 6p.m. most nights and it is hard to get out at 7p.m. or later when it is pitch black outside and we live in the country.}
{{Also, I am pretty much afraid of all things that lurk in the dark, if you do not remember...like ax murderers, bears and skunks}}
I don't know about you other runners/walkers out there, but I strongly believe in changing my route each time I run. I think this is highly important.
Yes, I have read the studies about how you should run the same route the same time each day so traffic becomes "used" to you and doesn't knock you down.
But
Um? To me? I am thinking that running the same route, at the same time each day is an invitation to be killed.
I mean, what if there is an ax murderer out there, who is secretly stalking you and making notes on your route each day? If you run the same time and same place each day, he will be much more effective at grabbing you at the most opportune moment and offing you.
By varying you route each time, you keep the world (and ax murderers) guessing. They don't know if you are turning left, right, going down HWY 10 or 232.
For this same reason, different times of the day are important as well. Keep 'em guessing. After all, a proper ax murderer should have several victims in sight at once, and may move on to another if you prove to be too big of a challenge (just a guess)
So there you go, my running tip of the week. Now? I am off to look at some new running shoes. (and argue with my husband who will say that my other ones "do not even look used, therefore how could i need another pair already?")

47 comments:
You are so funny. I have all manner of analyses for ax murders as well. Plus I was buying a shovel today and the guy asked what I needed it for.. I said in case I see a snake. He rolled his eyes, but you have to be prepared!
I have actually heard of runners being abducted and stuff. Scary!
I have NEVER heard that you SHOULD run the same path. I have always heard to mix it up for the very reason you stated. BUT- be sure to have your phone on you at all times, because if you do end up missing your hubby won't know where you were running because you change it daily.
I take my dog with me in hopes that I don't look as tasty to the ax-murderer.
What's your fave brand of running shoe? I love me some Mizuno.
If I ever decide to take up running, I'll keep that in mind. But, I highlt doubt that'll ever happen, since Wii Active kicks my butt and makes me walk like an 80 yr old with a broken hip. I think running will put me in a wheel chair. :)
Props to you for running again. You are hilarious...keep 'um guessing. Brilliant. Happy almost weekend!
That's great advice! You crack me up!
The ax murderers all hide in my guest bathroom shower. I'm certain of it. You should be fine.
I've never been a runner. I've always admired runners. A month ago, I decided to try it. It didn't go well. My doctor says I can't be a runner anymore. :-)
OKAY ENOUGH! All you hottie potatie women run. You really think us fat-a&&^& like to run and have our heels literally smack our butt cheeks as we can feel our thighs slap together. NOOOOOOOOO. I love ya girl. But now I hate you too.
I tell Jon the same thing about shoes. LOL! =) Happy running!
I had a very vivid ax-murderer dream the other night. This has me re-thinking running outside again. I've been quite happy on the treadmill...
This came at a good time. Because Monday The Chick goes back to school and I ... go back to running (limping, faking running, whatever.) I'm going to be doing the same route. But I live in the South. So I'm more likely to be offered cookies by my neighbors than anything else.
Did anyone ever tell you you have an unhealthy obsession with ax murderers? Just asking.
You have to tell me how you got/made the scrolling badge buttons thingy. I need one of those to declutter my space.
Running is one of those 'cool things' that I just never got on board with. It looks really tiring.
I'm always impressed with people who can hack it.
I run the same route, the same time, the same days every week. I have actually thought about the ax-murdered scenario, but there isn't much choice unless I get in the car and drive somewhere else to run and that takes away all the convenience of walking out the front door and just going.
good point about keeping everyone guessing...you never know who might be watching... sad but maybe true.
Need some new s hoes myself...tell him 400 miles is about all they can stand!!
I was told one time there are two things you never go cheap on...
shoes and beds
you are in those two the major part of your life... go for the best.
Now you've given me another reason to stay in my house and avoid exercise. As if my fat arse and love of sedentary tasks wasn't enough.....,
There are two black vans with dark tinted windows parked on my street at all times. I run REALLY FAST by them. Even when I'm out for a WALK, they make me run. And here's a fun tidbit for you -- one of my friends said he learned this somewhere: "For every routine you have, there's a predator that knows it." WARM FUZZIES FOR FRIDAY, huh??? But good for you for running again -- I signed up for another 5K so I need to get back out there. After this flu is gone. :-P
Yah. the runners who run the same routes are ALWAYS on Criminal Minds!
I couldn't find time to keep reading Switch so I bought it on CD and listened to the whole thing on my drive from utah. SO GOOD! My rider and Elephant are MUCH more in sync now :)
Good for you running again. :-) I know it makes you happy. Besides, that gives you time to do some soul-searching.
I agree that you need to switch it up. That's great. I don't want you getting ax-ed before I get the chance to meet you. That would suck. More than just for me, but you know, I am self-centered a bit.
Yay for running again. I would so definitely run a different route. I'd take my chances with the traffic rather than inviting the ax murderer.
But, you mentioned you were scared of skunks. A skunk could be your very best friend while running. You could train it to protect you. I mean, do you really think any ax murder is going to mess with you if you are running with your pet skunk on your shoulder? I think not. I think the ax murder will run far, far away from you. Good idea, huh?
I love the way you think!! :) I would have thought the same thing about running the same route everyday and an ax murderer learning your patterns and such such. And I also think changing your patterns lessens boredom and gives your legs a shake up because the terrain isn't the same. But I don't run, so I don't know what I'm talking about probably. I do know that I worry about people seeing me leave at the same time everyday for work and if my house is going to be ravaged by the time I get home. Paranoid? maybe, maybe not!
I'm not very good at changing my route these days, but I used to make sure I did because the demographics of my neighborhood made me stand out and people definitely noticed me running. Probably harmless idiots- I mean guys who just liked to catcall, but I didn't take any chances!
Great running tip! thanks!! I just started running again one mile last week for three days during the week, and this week, 1.10 miles three days during the week. Its going great! I love it, and I love the feeling afterwards and am starting to look forward to being in a bikini or even my sis's wedding lol:) I run at the gym usually but I'm thinking about starting to run at the park near me with our pup...I will remember to change my route! :)
I totally think that way too. did you read my post about that one time before we moved when those scary guys in the truck started following me? Holy crap my pants batman it was scary. Now I carry mace w/ me when I go.
Now I have to agree with the experts, I prefer to keep the same route and time. This way if I show up missing you will know where to find me. But now that you put a new spin on it with the planning of the ax murder I might have to change up my route or continue to stick with the treadmill.
Have a great weekend!
You might just need to see rofessional help for this ax murderer fear!! ;o) I am getting back into running too. I wish we lived closer so you could guilt me into running when I am not feeling like it! Hmm, I need new running shoes too!
I don't run in the dark for this very reason....I'm positive the Ax Murderers are just waiting for me!!! I also run a different route every time even in the daylight just in case they are still around ;-)
Yeah for your running again. I hope you get your shoes.. I so know you need them. Have an amazing weekend..
Thanks for the tips. :) Of course, I am always on the alert for bad guys or bears lurking in our trails. I'm convinced there must be a bear or two out there! I am on constant alert! :)
I have always wanted to be a runner! I was good about it in college-- used to run 4-5 miles a day most days of the week. But since I graduated, I've become a purely elliptical trainer type of girl. It's the equivalent of exercise-laziness!
~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom
I miss running. Stupid knees.
Sara, you crack me up!
Honestly I never thought of this but you do make a good point.
I was training for a marathon (in Paris!) up until January when I suffered stress fractures in BOTH legs. And I ran the same route every time. Why? Because one time I tried to change it and I got lost! And at 6 o'clock in the morning, when I've been running for over an hour, I don't like to suddenly realize that I have no idea where I am! I figure between the big baggy running clothes, my sweaty and odorous body, no make up and now being officially "middle aged" - I'm safe. Who wants to waste their time axe murdering the stinky old lady? There's no glamour in that. I'm totally safe!
You are so funny! I totally think about that kind of stuff when I'm out running. I also think about how fast I might be able to run away from someone even when I'm at the end of my run and exhausted, then I get a little scared and run faster out of fear :)
Happy runnings!
That's great Sara!
Have a fantastic Sunday!
Hugs!
Betty xx
I'm laughing, but getting more and more paranoid by the minute. I've not considered this stuff before. I may never leave the house again with my dog. Ya, her bark is worse than her bite, but at least she barks. Do you wanna borrow her? I don't think ax murderers like scary dogs. My mailman doesn't.
-FringeGirl
I love this! I don't run outside unless I have a running partner or am running on a busy track. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder for those ax murderers. I mostly stick to my treadmill, in the safety of my house!
Happy running and great tip!
I tried to go running the other day and rolled my ankle less than 1/2 mile into it!
While I'm laughing loudly, there is just something fundamentally wrong with this posting... Oh just kidding - it was hysterical! Makes me really glad I'm just inside Sweatin' to the Oldies!!
I know what you mean about running at night, I always think that someone might run me over, so I run faster, and faster and when I see a car I flash my flashlight at them so they see me, they probably think I'm crazy LOL!
Totally true....(about changing routes)
Also, maybe we can learn from rabbits who zig-zag when they run to outwit their attackers. Well, maybe you'll look a little bizarre....
love ya!
Serpentine! Serpentine! (Will Ferrell, Land of the Lost, advice for outrunning a T-Rex.) Just, you know, FYI.
Great tips.
You hear about women being attacked while running and it's frightening.
You are ABSOLUTELY hilarious! =) Im so afraid of ax murderers! We live in the country also and I wont even go out to my car at night. I always tell my husband to go get this or that out of my car. He says 'why cant you?!' and I reply 'because I dont want to get abducted' hahaha Its sad!
When I get off work at 4 am or 12 am and get home...I seriously run to my front door because Im POSITIVE there are 5 ax murders and 10 rabid animals waiting in the dark for me to be too slow hahaha
Anyways...just wanted to say you are hilarious and I love your blog =)
Summer
www.ksbartlett.blogspot.com
Post a Comment