I read a Malcolm Gladwell article:
Offensive Play- How different are dog fighting and football.
It got me thinking (always dangerous) about Pings. Bear with me hear, as I am about to make a connection that Gladwell himself didn't make, but rather one that came to me after reading and thinking about the article for a bit. The article itself did not make any of these assumptions, rather the information within the article made a connection for me, so this is merely a thought process started by his article. (When I read, I often stop to make text-to-self connections, or text-to-world connections.)
Basically, if you read the article and say "Huh, Sara? Where did that come from?" now you know.
-----
Gladwell talks about football players, and the hits they take to the head. Often, they take hits that are the equivalent of hitting a brick wall at 25 m.p.h. Over and over.
"He didn’t just suffer those four big blows. He was hit in the head thirty-one times that day. What seems to have caused his concussion, in other words, was his cumulative exposure. And why was the second concussion—in the game at Utah—so much more serious than the first? It’s not because that hit to the side of the head was especially dramatic; it was that it came after the 76-g blow in warmup, which, in turn, followed the concussion in August, which was itself the consequence of the thirty prior hits that day, and the hits the day before that, and the day before that, and on and on, perhaps back to his high-school playing days."
Ping, ping, ping
Isn't our life like that sometimes? Rather than a blunt force hit, we are hit with Pings. A little ping here, when you are put down, a ping there when a dream falls flat...ping, ping, ping. They are tossed at you. Seemingly small in innocuous, we might 'forget' them after a day or two. Larger pings, a heartbreak, loss of job, might take us longer.
But they still ping, don't they?
Eventually, these cumulative exposures- these pings- add up, just like the concussion for the football player.
We begin to doubt ourselves, to doubt our abilities and may lower our self esteem.
I was pinged a lot growing up (and for our purposes here, let's just say I am not fully grown up, cause they are still pinging me). Much more than I should have been; certainly more than I deserve.
You're fat
You're ugly
No man will ever want you if you bite your nails. That is gross.
How can you do that?
You are a bad mom
You are so....
does it matter at this point? They are all pings. All little comments, that while others may be able to ignore, I was not.
I let others ping me, let others feel they had the right to knock at me, little by little. I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw. I saw pings. Pings covering my body- ugly, fat, stupid, never make it anywhere, spend too much, bad mom, never thinks of others, on and on and on...
The pings caused the damage, the concussion. However, unlike the football players in the story? I am not affected for life. They don't get a chance to undo the brain damage. They don't get to peel off their pings.
But I do.
and I am.
I will no longer let others ping me. Yes, they may still do so, but? At their own risk.
Because I am changing, stronger and more self aware than ever. I will not ping others back, hurt others for my own justification, 'deserved' or not. Hurting others for your own gain, or peace of mind, is ugly. I'd rather be a light and throw love rather than pings.
(for those of you who have left comments telling me you are worried about me and hope all is okay? Thank you, they mean a lot. Know this- I am in a better spot than I have ever been, and will be back to my "spazzy" self soon.)

37 comments:
Sara, you may consider yourself "Domestically Challenged" but you are certainly not challenged in any other area. What a brilliant post. I can't speak for others, but "pings" is a perfect analogy, at least for me. I appreciated reading this post; not only that, "ping! ping! ping!" will stay with me, if for nothing else, to remind me of the impact of my words (and those of others) on Lil Bits. Sending you no pings, only love.
Girl you are so right…. PINGS suck but not as much as the people sending them. I always look at it like this. I may be pinged but you are ponged for pinging me and that’s even worse. The fact that you hit on, is so true. We can shed pings but I doubt if they can ever shed pongs. *smiles* sounds like a game huh… ping pong maybe…
Now I’m confused… why don’t we just sail off into the sunset… and let them play there table games…
I have always said it's the little things that bother me. They add up, those tiny little burdens we carry everyday. The first one isn't that bad, the second is fine as well, but one day you turn around and are carrying a bag bigger than yourself.
I went to the doctor last week and the nurse took my blood pressure, 110/80, perfect he told me. I said 'see, I'm not stressed.' He replied deadpan, 'Well, you look stressed.'
I think you're right. It's time to put down the bag. To start banging away the pings. And doing something about it.
And, as always, love Malcolm! :)
This was such a great post. And so true. It often takes years of people trying to break us down to actually work.
I have gained a lot more confidence in the past 5 years. I know I am a smart, funny, amazing person. And people aren't going to break me down.
wow
just...wow
I'm linking this blog to my page. Let the light shine.
I loved this post!and the topic.
You're absolutely right.I 'm doing the same. I don't let others ping me.
Because I 've changed since I became an economist.
We definitely must start banging away the pings. They really suck.
Betty xx
I couldn't say it any better than Alyssa did. You are a fantastic person on so many levels. Glad you are realizing this yourself as well. :)
Hi, just called over from Vodka Logic's site.
Yes, I fully agree with you. I am tired of "pings" and I'm tired of people "pinging" me too.
People send me nasty mails and leave nasty comments on my blog. I am so with you on what you say. I'm trying to toughen up a bit too, but I am such a sucker for a sob story!
I agree with Sir Thomas, lets just sail away!
Well said. Something we should all take a moment and consider.
Well said. I am glad you are working through all of this negative stuff and not letting it eat at you. Good for you. You deserve better!
I thought you were going to be talking about pinging computers.
What a great post. Very eloquently written.
I'm glad you are in a good place. Stay there!
Oh, and the twitter thing...another carnival on Wednesday!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Nietzssche.
I'm especially vulnerable to all those pings. Often its the 90th that is so small and yet it will get me because of the cumulative effect. Stay strong!
I love this! I'm so happy you're in a good spot! Remember, one of us is always on the computer if you ever want to chat!
I am glad you are okay.. This is a great post and has made me think.. Have a wonderful week. Sending peanut butter your way..
This was a wonderfully written post, Sara.
I'm glad you're taking a stand against all those pings. You are a great person!
WOW. This was brilliant! One time my pastor said "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will break my heart." I found that to be true in life, and also that sometimes "the bad stuff is just easier to believe." It can be *work* to drown out the bad, but it's worth it. *Loved* reading this!!
Great post, my friend! You expressed yourself wonderfully!!
pinging is an awful thing to do to something and I'm so sorry that someone treated you like that. You are an amazing person and wonderful mom!!! the best part of pinging, or getting slammed in a football game, is that you can pick yourself up and shake it off and go again for whatever dream/job/love loss with maybe a different approach and get what you want! There is great quote I read it goes - "no one can hurt me without my permission" in this case, it would be "no one can ping me without my permission" :) this post is awesome, good for you!
I don't know if we ever grow up to the point where those pings don't hurt---even if just a little. But I do think learning not to ping back might help. It's definitely something I've been working on lately.
*standing up giving you a round of applause* YEA SARA!!!! this was such a good post. you've been on my mind this past weekend, praying that things are going well for you!
I loved this! Go you!! I hope you get back to your "spazzy" self soon! :)
It often takes 100 love pings to counteract 1 negative one. It's funny how we can't get over the bad ones sometimes, even if we are surrounded by good. I hope these toxic people stop trying to get to you. You don't deserve it.
Wow, I love this post! I couldn't have said it better myself.
You can only take so many "pings" before you realize that you can rise above it. We've all been there. Good for you on bouncing back...from reading your blog, I can tell you're an amazing mom, wife and friend with one hell of a sense of humor!!!
Seems like me and mine have been getting pinged left and right the last year. When's it gonna end?
What a wonderful wonderful post, and I am going to have my husband read it and I am going to put it where we can see it to remember every word we say can ping our kids
Love the song! This was an amazing posting!! Brilliant. I have learned to be a light, too, so that darkness around me is dispelled in my life and in the lives of others. Someone once said, "You are like an ostrich with your head stuck in the sand, not facing reality." My life is amazing so who gives a rip what others think? I also quit letting others PING me with my permission. Got rid of a lot of toxic people in my life and wow, don't even miss them. What you have discovered is GOOD!
You're strong, you're beautiful, you're a wonderful mom and person, and writer and teacher. HUGS to you.
Sara, you are beautiful, and funny, and loving, and brilliant! Remember that when the pings come your way.
Hugs, from Kate's mom
No pings from me.
Great post Sara!! Loved it!
What a wonderful wonderful post
Work From Home
I love this post Sara... XOXO
Yes its very true..and they can hurt a lot....I am so happy you have risen above and can see the untruths for what they are...only you can decide your truth..not anyone else...The song is perfect..and so are you..!
Wow Sara..this is a powerful post. I do think so many of us are "pinged" throughout our lives. I am so glad to hear you KNOW you don't deserve or have to listen to that kind of negativity! I realize I only "know" you through this blog, but you seem to be a beautiful, strong, ping proof girl to me:) Hugs! MM
I hadn't thought of it like that before, but you are 100% right! PING PING PING all day long! And it's mostly me PINGing myself. I am going to make a conscious effort to stop this. I wouldn't want my daughters to do this, so why do I do it to myself?
WOW...now this is GREAT reading!
Man, I just love how you pull it all together with your thoughts. It's like the holes in the fence analogy....the nail (the pings) gets banged in.....you can pull the nail out, but the holes remain.
Thankfully, we have God who has some great super strength "putty" with His healing, forgiveness and strength.
I'm going through some pings myself now. My thoughts are with you.
Post a Comment