3.28.2010

Me and My Big Mouth

...or alternatively titled
Sara Never Learns
or
Reverse Psychology Failed Me

As our school's PTO Secretary/Teacher Rep, I thought nothing of volunteering to "Kiss a Pig" at our school's carnival on Friday. After all, it was going to be a vote and the teacher/staff member with the most votes would have to do the dirty deed.

"Not a problem Sara," I thought.
"Who is going to pick a 4th grade teacher when they can choose the principal? The phy ed teacher? The school psychologist?"
Right?
All way better choices than a boring old 4th grade teacher.
who may/may not have a reputation of playing practical jok
es, ruffling hair and standing on her desk
Just to lay the odds in my favor a bit more, I made sure to tell all my students on Friday how much I wanted to kiss that pig.
What fun would it be to vote for me who wants to kiss the pig, when you could vote for our principal, or school psychologist who would gag at the thought of kissing a pig? None!
Obviously, a smart student who wanted to hedge their bet, voting for the principal would be the way to go. (Apparently they listened as well to this as to when I give directions for a science lab.)

Reverse psychology is for the pigs.

My students thought it was the biggest oink ever to vote for me. Students voted by putting a precious carnival ticket-that could have been used for a fun game where you win a cheap prize that your mother throws out before you even leave the carnival- in a bucket. 1 ticket = 1 vote.














For the record, the pig was smelly, but squealed in delight when I puckered up to him. Highlight of his life, I am sure.
***

And as a proud mommy (who rarely post pics of her kids on her blog cause her hubs doesn't like her too) I have to post a pic of Elijah at his Inventors Fair. Yes, I washed the kid and combed his hair before school started. What can I say? He's a boy.


















post signature

45 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Oh you just made me giggle!!! Gross!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Heehee...I was wondering how you've been. You seem quiet lately. I hope all is well. You sound like an awesome teacher! :)

Ace said...

I wish I had a teacher like you. That would've been awesome if you would've really showed the kids you didn't mind by really laying into that pig!

KK said...

I'm sure it was the highlight of that little piggies life!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love that you kissed a pig! LOVE IT!
That picture of Elijah is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I cant stop laughing and I'm sorry... but if you want to really know how I feel about that just ask,,,


ok sorry have to laugh a bit more before bed time....

Vanessa said...

WOW! I hope my girls get a teacher like you one day! Only I'll teach them that showing that teacher love = NOT having them kiss a pig. (Hope you had your H1N1 shot! HAHAHAH!)

P.S. Sorry for the bad joke, it's awful late.

Sarah said...

I'll bet your students love you even more now!

Liz Mays said...

What? Did you say you thought nothing of it? What is wrong with you?

Jen said...

Sorry but LOL! cause you had to kiss a pig.

hehehehehehehehe ;)

Rita Templeton said...

It cracks me up that you got so many votes ... and makes me wonder who was in the far left slot on that board that seems to have big fat zero??

Such a sweet picture of Elijah. And I totally feel you on the boy thing - mine are dirty as soon as I clean them.

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh girl, you got voted to kiss that pig by a landslide! Hahahahaha

Elijah's hair looks just fine. Good job Elijah!

Kmama said...

Man, you definitely lost (or won??) that contest. LOL

Elijah is adorable!!

Trish said...

Did he taste like bacon??????

....at least you were a good sport about the whole thing!

Debbie said...

You are exactly the kind of teacher we all hope and pray our kids will get! This was great:)

The Stiffs said...

Want to come to TN and teach the fourth grade here? I need you!

teacher girl said...

hahahaha I love this. You are obviously the most popular, fun, and favorite teacher at the school. Wish I could come visit & see your classroom...have a great day!

{Kimber} said...

so you REALLY kissed him?! ewwww
guess it's not always good to be so well LOVED :)
hehe

honeypiehorse said...

Nice try with the reverse psychology. Oink!

Barbaloot said...

Haha-I remember school assemblies where that kind of stuff happened. Makes me happy I went to a big school and wasn't on student council or anything. They had to swallow gold fish!

Anonymous said...

Well, this goes to show what an awesome teacher you are!!!

I understand about your son. I wash, dress, & comb my youngest every day. By the time she gets to the bus she looks like she crawled out from a ditch. I try. I wonder what her teacher must think of me.

Meeko Fabulous said...

Buah ha ha! I read your tweet on this and was anxiously awaiting the blog post about it! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Now that's something you don't get to do every day. Make it with a piggy. Ah ha ha

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Those kids are smarter than you thought.

Mrs. M said...

Your son looks so proud!

I love your school spirit! Oink oink!!! :)

Kameron said...

And here I thought you were joking!! Ewww!

Tara said...

Did you squeal with delight when you heard the results? Remember you are the teacher who teaches lessons...payback I say!! Just kidding!

Kimi said...

Oh my nasty!!! The things teachers do for students. That is devotion right there!

Roxy said...

GREAT!!! What fun...I'm sure the kiddos LOVED IT!

Miller Racing Family said...

Now that deserves the Teacher of the Year award. What a great sport you are. I love the photo of your little man!
Hope you have a fabulous Monday!

BNM said...

LMAO!!! too funny.. I dont think i would have been able to do it! lol!!

Aww your lil one is adorable!

~*Michelle*~ said...

This is hilarious! Now I really know we'd be great buds if you lived near me. (I have been known to kiss a pig or two in my day)

Your little man is adorable! (*like his mama)

Stephanie said...

LOL Looks like you won by a landslide! Oh, and the pics are so fab:) I'm sure that kiss is one you will never forget:)

Amy said...

I love that you kissed a pig. YOu are a star on my blog today. Stop on by..

Anonymous said...

Wow - you won, by A LOT!

Elijah is just so cute - LOVE the dimples (as I've mentioned before)!

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny! I enjoyed reading your blog a lot. I just started my own, and would like you to check it out when you get a chance. Keep the good blogs coming! Angie

Unknown said...

Elijah is darling and I think I could probably handle kissing a pig. Quickly. If I had a baby wipe and some Listerine for immediately afterwards.....

Anonymous said...

See you tomorrow, Sara! Your comments are funny.

And...of course, I loved your post, too!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! All of us former teachers know that the ones who get voted to do these kinds of things are the ones most beloved by their students. Way to go, Pig Kisser!

Helene said...

Holy canoli girlfriend...that's a whole lotta votes! Reverse psychology sucks!!

Awww, Elijah is so adorable!!! He looks so proud in that picture!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, you are definately an awesome teacher for doing that.

Elijah is too cute.

Anonymous said...

Such fun! This must be the year of the pig, because I attended pig races at my kid's school this year. Your son is adorable.
-FringeGirl

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

Oh dear Lord...I have no words....except for....

Was it good for YOU?! ;)

erin said...

haha.... LOVE IT!! (sorry, but i woulda voted for you too! hehe!)

Kaci said...

Ewwwwwwwwww you kissed a what? LOL!