
(Yes, flattering shot here. Next time Core? Could you not have me squinting into the sun!?)
Each time I run a race, there are a few things I have to "check" off my list as I run. It helps my time to pass faster. My Earth Day Half Marathon was no different. As I cruised along, I made sure to check of the following
Necessary, but Not Necessarily Politically, Socially, or Eyeball-y Correct Running Sights
such as:
Male wearing too short shorts= check
Female wearing too short shorts= check (hello buttcheeks!)
Inappropriate use of spandex= check
Highly inappropriate use of spandex= check
Someone dressed up as superman/ironman/some other character= check
Someone who has worse running form than me= check (thank you! I have terrible running form, so it warms my heart to see others like me)
Being passed by a man wearing wind pants and some sort of brown leather boots/shoes= check (always humiliating, but necessary nonetheless)
Being passed by a man wearing wind pants and some sort of brown leather boots/shoes= check (always humiliating, but necessary nonetheless)
Some guy spitting and it almost hitting me= check
Once I was able to check those off, finishing the race was a breeze. I ran this same race last year, and found it to be well organized, well thought out and with great volunteers.
The weather was perfect, sunny, no clouds and a slight breeze. I made the mistake of starting further back than I should have, with the 9:50 min/mile pace team. I decided after about a mile that I wanted to speed up and try to come in under 2 hours. It took me until mile 6 to catch up to the 2 hr pace team, and then move beyond them. I managed though, and spent the last 5 miles trying to catch up and pass a woman in a tye dye shirt. Did it! My strong point in races has always been that I can speed up the last couple of miles of a race and pass people, where in training runs I tend to slow down the last couple of miles. Possibly it was the thought of the wonderful M&M cookies they give out after that had me going this time. I love those cookies-perfectly soft, chewy, wonderful cookies...
Oh, and the thought of seeing my adorable men cheering me on at the end of course!
Final time? 1:57:31, which is my PB for a 1/2 marathon (hey, I never claimed to be speedy!) Now? I believe I am ready to take on another marathon!

60 comments:
Congratulations Sara! I've run one of these exactly one year ago today and I had to dodge about 8 spits. Nasty
wow runner legs.....
and it does not even look like your breathing hard...
Maybe I need to rethink my anti-running stance!
that's great!!! i would love to be a runner. i'm sure i could...but i'll leave it to you. haha!
Great job on the pb!
Good job, congratulations!
Love the checklist. Now I don't know if I would have wanted to see some of those sites, aka the buttcheeks, but still worth a laugh.
Congrats on the personal best. We are all right there cheering you on!
Wow. wow. wow. I'm impressed! That is a fantastic time! I love looking at the stuff people wear to races. What is with the short shorts? Really? They can't be comfortable! And, don't you LOVE the people who start off trying to run with the 7:30 pace group and end up at the med stations because they overdid it?
I think your time is Fabulous...not slow. Good job on the new PR.
Umm... YOU ROCK!!!! Seriously, you're hilarious, funny, and so humble. Seriously, a 1/2 marathon under 2 hours? Raise the roof for you!!
Way to go, Sara!
I have yet to run a real race...it's been all for fun so far.
I love your checklist. I bet it helps pass the time!
Congrats again! What a great accomplishment. After having done one marathon and a few half marathons, I'm all about the halfs. They are enjoyable. Full marathons are torture!
Congrats, Sarah. That's great!
Betty xx
Wish'd I could have been there...especially on such a nice day! I would venture to say it was a bit warmer than last years chilly start line!
Great job! I ran yesterday and today hoping to make up for not making it this year (cousins wedding 2 1/2 hours away and an overnight there!)....but it's just not as fun doing it alone!
Great job on under 2! That's a great time. Doesn't sound like your injuries came into play huh! AWESOME!
sara this is amazing! I cant wait to here about your full marathon when you are tackling that. I have just started on my running adventures. I just acheived 5 miles in 51 minutes which was dang HUGE for me! reading other running posts helps me keep going!!
you look fabulous!
Loooooooooove it!!! So many things I miss out on because I DON'T run! I'll just live vicariously through your races and enjoy walking. :)
Your list was too funny!! Eww about almost getting spat on!
You are awesome though!!
That's very impressive and you look totally fit. Sounds like people dress about the same for marathons in Munich.
Great job! You continue to impress me. I can walk three miles in the same time frame. Ouch. :-)
great job. there's no way i could run 1/2 of a 1/2 marathon much less a 1/2 marathon. in my dreams maybe. but then considering the things i may see...it could be a nightmare!! men in short shorts...ewww! :0)
Congrats! Too bad you can't carry a camera and take photos of your scavenger hunt items.
So proud of ya girl! I would have tripped over my laces the minute they started the race...then stopped for ice cream and called it a day....hmmmm...guess that's why I don't run!
GREAT JOB!! love the checkpoints!!
We're running the KENTCUKY DEBRY FESIVTIAL HALF this Saturday!!! wanting to just run...hopefully under 2 hours!!
Congrats! I'm once again, impressed.
That's a perfectly speedy and respectable time! Congrats on your PR. I'm watching the Boston Marathon today and wishing I could run it. I like your checklist. People watching at a race is just as fun as the race itself.
Under two hours is fantastic!! It would've taken me under two DAYS. I suck at running. :) You are an inspiration. Keep it up.
The idea of running for two minutes makes me ill, let alone two hours. I understand the whole opiate-axis runners high thing, but SERIOUSLY???
(On a clothing note, I can add:
Inappropriately long boot cut leggings at kick-boxing class. Saturday one of the Kick-box Barbies did a 360 gainer on that one. Schadenfreude. Or just desserts.)
Good for you!! I'm one of those people that hate running. I've never gotten a high after...just a headache. Ugh.
I love your checklist!
Yay! Congrats!
Congrats! That's amazing. Tonight? I'm thinking about running around the block. I may or may not pass out.
Wow, I'm so impressed!
Your list is hilarious!
Congratulations! Your checklist is hilarious! What a great way to pass the time.
I love your check list! haha!
Congrats on your new PB! That's awesome that you run marathons. That's on my list of things to do someday!
Wow Great Job!!!! a 1/2 marathon is alot. Isn't that like 12 miles or something? And you ran in that 1.57, that is really awesome!!!! My mile right now is about 13 minutes but I'm working on it:)
Good job!
Love your checklist.
Amazing job!! Congratulations!
Wow Sara, That is just amazing.. I am so happy and proud of you.. Way to go. Love all of the interesting runners you saw. They made me laugh.. I loved the pictures also.. Have a MOnday...
Congrats on the finish!!! I think anyone that finishes looks amazing!! You don't even look a "little" bit beat up - you should see my AFTER pics - LOL!!!!
Gosh-what's worse: the spitting or the too short shorts? I pick neither.
Congrats Sara. That's great time. And the observations are just too funny...
Great job! I love your checklists! Back when I was able to run I used to use similar tricks to get me through! When I am able to run again (and I will darnit) I will keep these in mind :)
Great job! I think I would have to keep a funny checklist to make me not think of the fact that I was running that far!!
you are my hero!
what a great run time. i would probably be dq'ed for going to slow. hahaha.
Congratulations on your pb
Seriously? Wind pants and boots? If I had to check off the same things from your list, I wouldn't even make it past the start line. Ewwwww to highly inappropriate spandex.
Congrats on setting a PB record.
you Geaux girl!!!!
LOL someone dressed as a super hero, too funny.
Wow..that is fantastic...you Go Girl....hey I love your checklist..what exactly is highly inappropriate spandex....?I wonder if that's me..LMAO...what a great time you had..under 2 hrs..OMG ...you are an inspiration..!
You go lady! You ARE helping inspire me to get off my arse btw. : )
Congrats! That is a great time!!!
Amazing time, amazing, amazing, amazing!! My little runner muze...mmmm I wanna cookie now.
Congrats on a new PB! At first I thought it stood for Peanut Butter, but then realized you meant Personal Best. :)
YOU GO GIRL!!!! Congrats!
Wow I think that's a great time! Well done on hitting your PB. Love the people who wear inappropriate spandex!! I ran the London Marathon 2 years ago and it's amazing the kit that some people run in....made me giggle a lot (when I could think straight afterwards!!!).
Good for you, Sara, to be doing marathons. I hold everyone who does these in very high esteem. You are one of my heroes. And I love your list! LOL
Kudos to you! I think a sub 2 hour half marathon is fantastic for us mortals (though the guy who just won the Boston Marathon ran it in 2 hours and like 7 minutes)--anyways, we're mortals. :)
Awesome job - I think that is a great time, and I think the picture is pretty nice too - I'm not seeing this "squint" you are mentioning!! :)
Woo hoo!!!Congratulations and great picture!!!
Congrats. You are awesome.
Ewwwwww I hate it when guys spit like that!!!
Post a Comment