You might have seen on my twitter account yesterday that, yes, I did get a pink slip yesterday at my job.
Am I upset? Yes and no. I mean, yes, I love my job and don't want to lose it. However, i did know it was coming. We are in a small (think 900 students district wide) school, and are cutting $500k from our budget. As an untenured teacher, I knew they would cut all non tenured staff this year.
Yes, it is hard, because this is my tenure year...so I lose all years I've put toward tenure, and will have to start over at another school- *if* I can find a job. I see some silver linings too. I am not concerned that I will not land on my feet, sometime, someday.
I've been itching to get into my master's program full time, and this would allow me to do so. (Typically, teachers don't start master's programs until they are tenured, so I have been waiting.)
For my master's program? I will move out of teaching and into another area. It will have to do with children, learning, research, but not be in the classroom.
It may also allow me time to work on that big "change" i've talked about, and make some things related to that easier.
So..today? I am okay with all that is changing as far as jobs, and leave you with what is really on my mind.
NO Reese's special eggs, pumpkins, hearts, trees- ANY- for another 4 months, or until August, when Halloween candy comes out. Or do they do that in July now?
Can we get a petition started? Reese's stars anyone? Reese's Mother's Day Flowers? Father's Day fishing poles? Anything?

60 comments:
Dang. Sorry to hear that! I can't imagine only 900 students in a whole district! I teach at an elementary school here in Texas that is PreK through 6th grade and at my school alone we have 1065 kids!!!
Hope it all works out in the end for you!
http://lovelaughterandbobbies.typepad.com
Sorry to hear about the pink slip.. but I love your positive outlook on the situation! Good luck with the masters program. And I'm all for signing that Reeses petition.. YUM!
Well, when not working, you can spend some time rallying support for the reese's line expansion, right?
Seriously, I am sorry. That sucks.
Good attitude!!! :) When I got my pink slip a few years ago after being with the company for 7 years (on the DOT, mind you. July 18 2000 to July 17 2007!) I was kinda relieved. Sad and worried about money in the future, yes, but I was so ready to be out of there. I was totally fine with the pink slip too. What does annoy me is that... I have been in the workforce for more than 10 years now, but I don't have the benefit of someone whos been with the company for 10 years (4 weeks vacation, more perks, etc) so it is not fair! But...It is what it is!
As for Reeses... oh my. The eggs are the BEST out of all the other shapes, including the original. I like putting a few in the fridge... and then I like nibbling all the chocolate off and... and... oh wait, thats not what you meant. I would go for the stars!! A beach ball... A bucket pail for a beachy theme... then they should have leaf shapes for the fall...
oh girl, I am so sorry to here that. It sounds you have a great mind set about the entire situation...good for you!
You can email me anytime you want or now that you are jobless, grab the boys and head on over & spend it with me on the beach!!!!
I will add you to the prayer list not only for your job but I don't see the 4 month Reeses Egg thing holding out!
and they are all half price right now so stock up.....
Pink sucks... well not all pink but that pink...
you have a shoulder and a ear here for you any time you need it.
anytime, anyplace, anycause...
I use to have a business card that said that....lol
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the job. I love your attitude though, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I'm thinking Reese's Mother's Day flowers sound good!
Reese's stars---brilliant! I was all disciplined and stuff today (you know, at 10:00) and now I feel the need to see if there are any Reese's floating around the office candy bowl.
Good luck with work. And good for you for going back for you Master's. I did that for about two months and then realized how much I hated school. I'm good with a bachelors:)
Aw man! Sorry to hear that...how could they let go a teacher that kisses a pig? Their loss!
And yes I am all for petitioning for more Reese's candy. Although I have found the big cup will suffice in a time of need.
I'm sorry about your job! That does really suck. And I love all things peanut butter cup.
Ooohh... bummer on the pink slip - but like you said, it will work out and this might be the push you needed to pursue your dreams.
As a teacher, I am curious about what kind of master's program you are thinking about. I keep thinking about what else is out there!
I'm sorry you got the pink slip, but I'm glad you have a positive outlook on it! I'd be an emotional mess!
That is exciting that you may be getting into your masters program full time! :) And it is funny that I remember you posting about the reeses eggs last year too! I ♥ peanut butter too! :)
Sad about job, happy about your outlook!
Oh, and I bought myself a discounted Reese's egg today and thought of you the whole time I ate it. You know, the 2 seconds it took to shove in and swallow.
Wow, they are cutting everything these days. A girl in our office just got the pink slip a few weeks ago...crazy economy. I'm sorry you lost your job, but everything happens for a reason and it sounds like its perfect timing for you to start your grad program in full swing!! And who knows where that will lead you:)
Sorry to hear about your job!!! You have such a good outlook though! Drown any sorrows in your peanut butter eggs (I agree a petition is needed)!
I'm sorry to hear about your pink slip - but your positive attitude is awesome! Stay positive ahd things will most definitely work out for you. And exciting changes coming your way, yay! And I heart Reese's too!
Oh - ouch. We are having an entire school district laid off here... somewhere... I think I heard about it on the news. Ok, so I wasn't really paying attention. But something big and a student had a birthday party but asked that instead of presents everyone donate money so they can save some of the teachers' jobs. She's like 9.
Anyway, that sucks. But if it rolls into something positive than that is awesome. So really, congrats! :D
Also, I think you owe me a link!
I'm sorry about your job. You seem to be handling it well.
Maybe go out and buy a case load of reese's eggs to get you through this rough time. ;-)
Oh, and I think Reese's tulips would be great for Mother's day!!
That stinks but I'm very happy that you are moving on to bigger and better. If you get tired of being where you are...TN could use you. I won't stop preaching it.
Ah man! That stinks. But you do get to do some good cool fun stuff (okay so schools not fun exactly but...)
Hey, more time for Peanut Butter, woohoo!
That really stinks about the job but it sounds like you're making lemonade out of the lemons you were handed. Too bad life doesn't hand you chocolate and peanut butter instead...you could make your own Reeses eggs :)
Excellent! Now you can do fabulous studies like how teenage male skateboarders react to the presence of a pretty girl!
Awesome.
Love your perspective, and sending positive thoughts Sara. :)
all things happen for a reason....when I was let go because of "downsizing" at 7 months preggo it was DEVASTING... I knew GOD had a purpose...but couldn't imagine WHAT!
So know that all will work out...just have faith!!
Pink slip...smink slip. I love your attitude about it and take this time to follow your dream and make the changes that you want. Hang in there!!!
Now, I have a craving for Reese's...DANG!!! Just the very sight of the bag gets my mouth watering...that can't be good!!
i love the positive attitude, and pray that it all works out well for you!!
i'm with you on the reese's stars. flowers. heck even fish they could do. reese's peanut butter cups are not the same thing!!
and in case you're interested, i'm doing a week of giveaways on my blog this week, and if you win something...it'd at least make the week a bit better right? :0)
Budget cuts are happening here too as they are everywhere. As a parent I'm begining to freak out about my children's education, I can't even imagine as a teacher how you must feel. It sounds like your ready for the change though...so good for you for seeing the bright side of such a miserable situaion!
PS...I must now go and have a Recess Peanut Butter Egg, and I just so happen to have one in my desk drawer (stole it from my kids Easter Basket) ;)
If you sign my petition for single serve mini eggs, I'll sign your Reese's one!
I'm sorry about your job. It's good that you have a positive outlook though, you probably know as well as I do that everything has it's purpose, and that God is never surprised!
Oh man!! Sorry about your job. That stinks. I am wondering what this new change will be. Curious...Shall we make guesses? Are you preggers? Adopting kids? Moving? Preggers? :)Keep us posted.
Reese's eggs seem to have too much PB for me. I'll take the little Reese's anyday day of the week. :)
So sorry to hear about your job! Exciting that you could start your masters, though!
I'm with you on the Reece's. WHY isn't there a special one for Mother's Day? That would be perfect!
Sorry to hear about the pink slip. Is it definite? My old district often gave out pink slips till the budget was settled.
I'm all about the Reese's Mother Day flowers.
flashbacks from a year ago flood my brain!
So glad it happened before the pb Easter eggs were all gone!
Just come to FL now.
K Thanks.
that's too bad but at least you are being positive about that, I guess those pink slips are getting passed around everywhere throughout the country.....
Sorry about your job. I was just reading yesterday about all the education cuts coming to my state. It stinks. You've got a great attitude though and it sounds like this will give you many opportunities to explore new challenges. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.
-FringeGirl
Sorry about the job, but you know what? You should definitely explore getting the master's now...it could be a sign that that is the path to take!
I am sorry to hear about your job but it looks like it might turn out to be positive.
And I would totally sign that petition.
That stinks about the job. Our district went through the same thing recently, but I was one of the fortunate ones. Next year I might not be so lucky. But my release will be the peanut butter M&M's.
As one door closes another opens..sometimes it is hard to see it when it is happening..I know too..I have been in many of those situations..and looking back ..something better always took the place of the loss...transitions can be hard, yet fulfilling...and about the candy ..that can just be filling...Lol..!..heres to your future..!
What amazes me is your totally positive outlook on this tough situation and how your STOKED about the opportunities this change is going to bring for you. Its really awesome and inspiring:)
Girl you should have heard me screaming when I read the first part of this post.
I am so proud of your good attitude with the situation. I know the Lord has a great plan in store for you and I love how you are so opened minded. I can't wait to see where this adventure leads!
I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your job. But, this will open doors for you and present opportunities that you didn't even know existed. Eat all that Easter candy and enjoy it....I'll eat some for you too.
I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I'm glad you are keeping a somewhat positive attitude about it. I can't wait to hear about the change you're talking about.
I will happily sign the petition for Reese's PB cup stars. I have several packages of the eggs stashed in my closet. They taste so much better than the actual cups!
Reese star would be awesome!!! You just petition that!! LOL! =)
You are in my thoughts everyday dear, makes me so sad that they pink slipped you. My sister was just pinked and just makes me so angry! We need good caring teachers.
Sorry to hear about your job! Your attitude is amazing and with an attitude like like you will definitely end up on top!
OMYGOSH! You were THAT close to tenure? Ugh. That's just WRONG!
You have my support for the Reese's stars. Let me know if we need to put the Blogfia on it. lol
My mom worked with the board of education and every year they would pink slip her but theyd always call her back in August so maybe they'll do the same for you! That sucks that you were so close to tenure but way to have a positive outlook on it :) Good luck with your Masters...
UGH I cant stand to see anymore reese weve been piggin out on them for days!
It stinks to loose all you had under your belt, but going back to school is great!! You are so much more marketable with a Master's degree! I am avoiding the reces eggs currently in my son's basket and in the fridge. i have sworn off sweets for 8 weeks. i might die before then though.
I'm sorry to hear about your job. But you do have a great attitude and plan! They are closing two of the elementary schools here and moving students all around. Even putting middle school students in the high school. And I love the Reeses Peanut butter eggs. Yum!
Instead of saying sorry (which I am) I will say Yeah you for you incredible energy and postive outlook. I just know you will land on your feet.
PS Big loss for your school board!
I'm so glad you can see the positive in your departure...but I'm sorry.
: )
I'm just glad you have your priorities in the right place!!! I have a similar comment to Brittney's and also briefly a story about a friend who got a master's in counseling and is very happy she did so. She just returned after having her baby. Lots and lots of luck...and love...
It makes me sick that schools are losing priceless teachers because of budget cuts yet the Jersey Shore kids are getting like $10,000 per episode or something ridiculous like that...I'm sorry about your pink slip. I hope 10 years from now we aren't kicking ourselves for cheating our kids.
And I'm pretty irritated with myself for only getting 1 package of peanut butter eggs. I'm pretty sure I was delirious and/or sleep deprived when I only put one pack in the cart. Between my husband and I they were gone in like an hour...and now I have to wait months.
Its my first night back to blogging and I feel like a downer...
I'm so sorry to hear about your *just* being up for tenure and this happening, but I LOVE your outlook on it. That is so encouraging!
I think you need to write Reese's a letter!
Oh no! I'm sorry. But it's great that you have some plans in the works.
If you figure out how to get the Reese's eggs to stay, how about helping my husband get the Hershey candy-coated eggs to stay on the shelf year-round?
I am sorry to hear that you lost your job! Sounds like you are keeping things positive and have a great attitude about it though. I am so glad I'm not teaching right now with all of the moving around our district is doing. B/c even though I was tenure, I wouldn't probably be in the same classroom. Illniois is the WORST right now with letting teachers go. Our govt. is corrupt and the schools, students, and teachers are all paying the price. It's a tough place to be right now.
If I remember right, this happened to you last year but you ended up getting your job back. Maybe something will just land right for you for next year too. One never knows!
In the meantime, you've gotta get your hands on some peanut butter!!!!!!!!!
I bet they'll have flags before we know it! Sorry about your job :(
Hopefully the loss of your job WILL get you moving down a wonderful new path! As for your Reese's fix I find peanut butter on a spoon sprinkled with chocolate chips is pretty darn delicious! :)
Sorry to hear about your job but I hope this change sends you down a new path that is even better than you could've imagined.
I'm sorry about the pink slip but it sounds like you have a great attitude about it and a great plan, too.
Post a Comment