6.06.2010

Minneapolis Marathon

(my pretty feet before the marathon started)
Whoo hoo! It is done! Yesterday, I ran the Minneapolis Marathon. It was a pretty good marathon overall, with great weather the first 20 miles. About mile 21, we moved out of the shade, the clouds all disappeared and it became brutal. Not to mention that whoever planned the marathon course put the last 2 miles mostly uphill. (really, who who, who does that!?!)
(Photogenic proof of the insane hill at mile 17 and the uphill at the end)

From miles 16-19, I remember thinking to myself how much I love running, and enjoy both the physical and mental challenges of it. From miles 19-21? I think I sang to myself.
Truly though, my favorite part of a marathon is the mental challenges it requires of a runner. To make it through, you must pull on different areas of strength and determination. The accomplishment makes me feel like I can handle the challenges in other areas of my life.
The views were beautiful, the course well planned (again, except the end and that vertical hill at mile 17)
I was slightly dehydrated the last 3-4 miles, and the sun and lack of shade didn't help, but that is part of the fun of a marathon, right!? Gives me something to yap about! I could tell I was slowing down at that point, and am guessing it was by 30 sec/mile or so. I am okay with that, I would rather slow down and NOT pass out :).
Final time was 4:22:22, which is over 2 min off my best marathon time!
post signature

61 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Yay! Good for you. It looks beautiful. And hard.

The Mother said...

The idea of running makes me physically ill. I consider people who do it to be superhuman. Congratulations.

Simply Complex said...

congrats chickadee.

(I say that as I lay in bed eating chocolate ice cream- back to running for me after this stinkin' baby is born.)

Meg said...

I'll tell you who designs a course with 2 uphill miles near the end of a marathon--those who don't run, lol.

You look great! It also looks like a beautiful course.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you, not only for completing the marathon but your recognition that these strengths could apply to other areas of your life. Hmm....makes me think great things are in store for you. I'm glad!

Sara, thank you so much for your thoughtful, kind words to me. Believe me, they are much appreciated at this time.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

You're amazing, Sara! I can't even imagine running that far!

Sarah said...

Wow! Congratulations! What an accomplishment. How is your recovery going? And I have a question for you as a fellow runner. I'll email you today :)

Liz Mays said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you knocked off a full 2 minutes.

The Stiffs said...

Good for you!!! I took me just under an hour for a 5K this morning so I'm clearly in awe.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Congrats. Awesome accomplishment.

Annsterw said...

WOW!!!!!! Awesome that you even beat your own best time!!!! It would take me 14 hours not 4 to finish one!!! LOL! Congrats - you should be sooooo proud!!!!!!!! You just gave me something to strive for one day! Thanks!

Ace said...

Yay Sara! You rock!

Brooke said...

You are my running hero!

Kelli said...

Oh my God! That's insane! But in a good way. Pretty sure I would have fallen down around mile 3. OK, who am I kidding? Mile 1.
Congrats on such an achievement. You are a strong woman, never forget that.

Jen said...

Congratulations again! Similar thing happened to me at San Diego with last several miles (except mine were not uphill, thankfully) with dehydration. It was such a mental test and I have a whole new respect for anyone who has ever finished a marathon.

Nicole said...

WOW!!!!! You are AWESOME!!!! Great job Sara!! 21 miles holy jeez! Its really cool to hear about your thoughts while you were running. I'm up to 1.35 miles 4 times a week and I usually plan stuff while I'm running! lol.

Anonymous said...

your amazing...

you know the person that put the last two miles up hill is still laughing... the no good *insert swear words here*

again remarkable

Chandra said...

Congratulations! Holy cow...I can barely run 4 miles without dying, dying I tell you! I'm going to run my first 5K next month and let me tell you..I think I'm doing good to do that!

Quite a feat and something you should be so proud of! I would be bragging for a month (at least) if I were you!

Mrs. M said...

Great job, fantastic time!! Woo hoo!!

Jenn said...

You are AMAZING! I shall remember your awesomeness the next time I'm struggling through 3 miles. :)

jayayceeblog said...

Just wow! Congratulations! I have never in my life felt compelled to run a marathon. I will have to live vicariously through amazing women like you!!! Nice pictures, BTW.

susan said...

congrats!!! you did an amazing job!

Furry Bottoms said...

WOW! I could never do something like that... especially the end being uphill, which makes absolutely no sense! But I suppose that is what makes it really challenging. YAY for you, for making it through!

I get what you say about determination and strengths. Perseverance.

NIKOL said...

Congrats on achieving your personal best time! Exciting!

KK said...

Way to go!

Barbaloot said...

You are amazing! I choose to focus my mental powers on how much peanut butter I can eat, you choose to run...at least we can still be friends:)

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

You never cease to amaze me! Congratulations girlfriend! You are AWESOME!

Meeko Fabulous said...

This is totally one of the things I admire about you! :)

amanda said...

woo hoo!! congrats. i couldn't imagine! :0)

The Good Cook said...

Congrats!!! What next?

Kmama said...

Congrats! I am so impressed.

More Than Words said...

You're my hero!

The Urban Cowboy said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. You are a rock star!

Unknown said...

oh my. you are AMAZING!
congratulations! I could never run uphill....

JennyMac said...

You are a total BAD ASS! Standing ovation from Atlanta Sara.

Foursons said...

You are A-MAZING. And really WHO DOES THAT? Idiots.

Amy said...

Congrats to you.. YOu rock Sara..

Kameron said...

You are inspirational! I may never run a marathon, but it makes me want to get out and run..a little!

Roxy said...

WAY TO GO my friend!!! AWESOME...SO PROUD OF YOU and GREAT TIME!!!

Miller Racing Family said...

Way to go girl! I agree the dedication that you have to running says something in itself. The views do look great, well of course it would I am not running I am just sitting on my butt reading blogs. But lets not say I am lazy! lol
Have a great day!

Emma said...

Congrats Sara that's amazing! A big hill at the end is a completely stupid idea, I agree!! Well done x

Anonymous said...

thats really great - the only way I would run is if the police were chasing me!
Mr Monkey

Crystal Escobar said...

That is so awesome!!! Good for you. I ran a marathon once, and haven't been able to get back into it since :) It was such an amazing feeling though to do something like that.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Congrats!! You deserve a bottle o' bubbly!

Tina said...

You are so amazing! I have only run a half marathon and I don't think I could ever do a full. You rock! Wish I had your motivation. And speed! 4:22?! Wowsers!

Vanessa said...

You are a freaking rock star!!!

honeypiehorse said...

Congratulations! I have those shoes, too. But I don't deserve them.

Stephanie said...

Wow you are amazing! Congrats to you and your fabulous time!

Jamie said...

Congrats you did great!!! And I seriously want to strangle someone when marathons end on an uphill or have the toughest miles all uphill!

Sarah MP said...

I've driven 21 miles before and was exhausted!

Congrats on your wonderful accomplishment! It's inspiring despite the Cheetos I'm eating right now!

~Sarah~
http://justrollingwithit09.blogspot.com/

Tracie said...

Congrats to you! I'm seriously in awe of people who run at all. But to do a marathon? I bow down to your awesomeness. I can barely walk a couple of miles on the treadmill.

Anonymous said...

That hill at the end WAS a bitch! Great job Sara!!

Cool Gal said...

That is so awesome! I wanted to run in that same marathon. I think I should start with a half marathon first though. Perhaps Grandma's. I don't know. I love to run and have always dreamed of a marathon.

Anyway, good for you! *clapping* That is quite an accomplishment! :)

Betty Manousos said...

Congrats to you! To do a marathon? I couldn't even imagine it! You're my hero!
Good for you!!
Big hugs!
B xx

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Amazing! Congrats!!

"Cookie" said...

You are awesome!!! I'll go back to my 25 min runs thankyousoverymuch! :)

Lee said...

I am SO impressed. The only place I run to is the bathroom.

Kaci said...

Beautiful...I hope I look amazing after I finish mine, you look gorgeous as always. WOO HOO SARAH!!

Holly said...

Go you! I don't think my feet even know how to run.

{Kimber} said...

you go girl!!!!! yay for you :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! That is awesome!