Ba-caaaack! This past weekend, I ran the Great River Ragnar Relay with The Chicks! {which is probably evident if you saw my FB posts I kept coming!}
The site explains it much better than me, but the jist of it is that 12 women, in 2 vans, with 36 legs (3 each), with one team member running at all times, ran 193 miles.
From Winona, Minnesota, across into Wisconsin following the Mississippi River, into Minneapolis.
Ragnar's goal? To have us have the most fun possible while covering 193 miles on little to no sleep. So? We did.
We decorated the van

Painted our nails Chick Yellow


Tried to get a few hours sleep and got ready!
**Did I mention I had NEVER met any of these ladies before Corey dropped me off for the meet up? Melissa and I knew eachother through our blogs, but that was our first face to face meeting, you know, when we would spend 48 hours running, eating and sweating together!?**

This sign says it ALL! We run, we drive, we WISH for sleep and repeat!

Our entire group of 12. (Most of the time, since we were in 2 seperate vans of six each, we only saw eachother at major exchanges.)


We, of course, ran. In the HOT, HUMID weather no less! I did better than I had hoped on my first leg, coming in from a 8 mile run at 1:12. I was happy with it because it was hot! There was no breeze at all, and it got to the point that having semi pass you was a treat. I believe I yelled, "I LOVE YOU SEMI!! I love your wind!" to one that passed me at mile 6 ish.
While we ran, our van mates would leap frog and follow us, stopping every half mile or so to cheer us on, give us some cowbell and water.
Your van is "on duty" while any of your 6 runners are out on the course. When your runners are done with their set, you are "off duty" while van 2 does their section of the course. This gives you a few hours to jump to the next major exchange, eat and rest up before your next legs.
Major Exchange 1- we stopped here for a few hours to hose off...
Try and sleep...which is impossible because it was so blasted hot! Then? Get ready for our second leg. Our second leg started at about 7 p.m., and would take us until about 2 a.m.
All decked out in our reflective gear. Every runner/supporter had to wear a reflective vest.


For dinner Friday night? Lots of puppy chow. Which, I might add, is NOT a good idea when you have to run 6 miles at 11 p.m. Hello stomachache! My second leg was painful for my stomach, but FUN! I have never run at night like that before, so it was a cool experience to do. While the van met me 3 different times to cheer me on, I spent the rest of my time just running...in the dark...by myself. (fine, unless I was being passed by an elite runner)
I must say? Everything is funny at 1:57 a.m. in a swampy van filled with 6 sweaty women who are in need of a shower and some rest. Everything.

We finished our second leg around 2:25 and headed to Stillwater for a few hours of rest. We ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep before we needed to be back "on" for our 3rd leg around 6:30 a.m.
Day 2?
Hot? FACT.
Humidity at 94%? FACT.
Hill that looked like this on my last leg? FACT. (and FAIL)
Yes, it was only 4.2 miles. BUT! It was 4.2 miles on a humid day with 2 hours of sleep!

We did it though! Fueled by puppy chow, chex mix, gummy bears and powerade, WE FINISHED!! It was an amazing experience and I would gladly do it again! At final count? I was up from 5:30 a.m. on Friday until 7:30 p.m. Saturday night with 2 hours of sleep total! So now? I am off to bed!


Thanks for an amazing time Chicks! You are all awesome women!



47 comments:
You guys are awesome! It just sounds exhausting.
Wow. You are the WOMAN! That sounds awesome.
how fun, except for the humidity :-)
So glad you could join us this year. And once a Chick, ALWAYS A CHICK! You wore bright yellow well, my dear! Definite FACT!
Ooh, that sounds awesome! I hope you get to do it again.
Wow! What a trip. :)
Wow...you all rock it hard core! That is an amazing feat. I'm tired just reading about it.
Congrats!
Wow - good work!!
That is so awesome! Wow, what an amazing accomplishment!!!
AWESOME! Congrats!!! Sounds like an incredible weekend!
What an unbelievable accomplishment! Enjoy your much deserved sleep.
Wow, what a cool experience! I can't believe you jumped right in not knowing any of those people. You are brave, but I guess that sort of experience would be enough to bond people pretty quickly. Looks like it was a lot of fun.
That looks like such a huge physical challenge, but I love the camaraderie that went along with it! You're awesome!
That is A-mazing! I saw some of your pictures coming up on FB and kept thinking, 'how long is this race?!'
Of course, I was busy making our 48 hour film, so I was right there with you, not sleeping! From Friday at 6 a.m.- Saturday midnight., I got 3 hours of sleep.
so proud of you girl!
you are my running inspiration -- =)
you deserve something BIG from finishing that!
What an amazing accomplishment - rest up it is well deserved! :)
I bow to your awesome athleticism.
Me? I don't do any workout that doesn't include AC and a bathroom within 10 feet.
Holy cow! I am tired from just reading about your adventure. I do love puppychow so that picture was greatly appreciated as I listen to my hungry tummy as I'm filling Owen's hungry tummy!
You guys ROCK! What an amazing adventure. Sounds like you had alot of fun!
WOW you guys are AMAZING!!! I'm shocked 193 miles, thats crazy, and so cool and sounds like a blast! Great job!!!!
I've always wanted to do that run with my family!! Looks impossibly hard and fun:)
Good for you! That hill looks like death.
Wow - that sounds fun and exhausting at the same time!
that sounds really fun!!
you are AMAZING! i want to be like you when i grow up. ;)
These are the things reality TV shows are made of You rock girlfriend:)
Wow, you are awesome, what an accomplishment! So inspiring!
What a fascinating and cool idea!! I've never heard of anything like this - so neat!
Awesome! You should be so proud, and sounds like SO much fun!
Ya'll are way to cute! My sis in law is a big runner and LOVES Stillwater!
Have I told you you're amazing? 'Cause you are. AH-MAZING. And for the record, I love me some puppy chow.
LOVEEEEEE puppy chow BUT hate running...especially in hot and humid weather!!! BUT you are awesome for your persistance and dedication. Go you!!! Woot. Woot. Great job.
What an awesome accomplishment!!
Also, thanks for stopping by my place today.
I did my first Utah Ragnar this last year too. I didn't know anyone in my group at the beginning, but I knew them all like bros and sisters by the end. You get pretty close, it sounds like your group did too.
You had a nice, big van too. I wish we would have that much space.
Congrats! I know it is exhausting, but no way will you miss it next year.
That sounds amazing and so fun!
that's completely so cool!!! Congratulations!
Looks like a ton of fun! Congratulations!
I am so proud of you. I wish I lived closer so I could learn to run I mean walk with you. As always you amaze me.. I made up a silly tag and I would love for you to join in. My little one is here while I am typing. She is saying who is that. I said, "Sara" then she says, "Mommy loves Sara" Of course I do she rocks. Now she is talking abut the last picture and your friends. She found you in the picture..
Here is the tag: http://keepingupwiththeschultzfamily.blogspot.com/2010/08/back-to-school.html
I am uber impressed by you!
That's absolutely amazing! Well done you and all the other Ladies...it looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy your sleep xx
Dude, that's awesome!!! My tri group is doing the Key West Ragnar and I can't make it, but I soooo want to do one!!! Great job!! Looks like so much fun!!
How awesome are you??? I can't believe you guys did something so crazy! YOU ROCK!!!
Wow, I am completely amazed. Sounds like a wild time and how 'bout that diet???
That is amazing. I have never heard of a relay like that but it sounds like a blast. Love the night photos!
Have a great day!
That is awesome!!!! Sounds like a great adventure and experience! I love the chick in the tu-tu! Now I'm cravin some puppy chow!
There is one of these relays up here (reno/tahoe area) that I would one day love to participate in. And seriously? 8 miles in 1:10 on a hot/humid day? Sounds like an awesome time to me, but then again I come from dry and cool (except in mid summer).
So cool! Congrats!
What a wonderful and beautiful family you have, Sara!! And you look just gorgeous!
All of you guys look great!
Looks and sounds like a GREAT FUN!!
So happy for you!!
Love your car decoration! Yeah!
Amazing!!
B xx
WOW! That's awesome!! What a fun, memorable experience.
I'm so doing that with you next year.
Post a Comment