10.31.2010

Halloween Monster Dash

If you were to have read my blog a mere 3 weeks ago, you would have seen a post written by my sister and myself. About how kindly I volunteered to run her first race with her, and how she was going to murk me as a result.

...Fast forward....My how times change, right?

A mere 4 days after that? Michelle and her asked me to run a 1/2 marathon with them. Or in the same one, but each of us running our own pace. You know me and races, (they are like peanut butter, can't resist, besides the swag was super cool) so I agreed. I'll admit to being a tad weary because it was on October 30th. We live in Minnesota. Things can get cold around here fast. However? The day was just about perfect for running.

It was a bigger race than I thought, with over 6,000 runners in the half marathon and 10 mile race, and several thousand more in the 5k.
The race itself was great. I ran with the 2 hr pace group for the first 3-4 miles, but decided to go ahead at that point. I jumped ahead and continued on, trying to catch up to the man wearing the bath robe. Which, by the way, was the best part of this race. You could run with Superwoman, Sheiks, Pirates, Zombies, Witches, Cats, Giraffes and pretty much anything else you can think of. (not one ax was seen though) It made it easy to say, "Okay, just pass the giraffe and fairy on the right and you are good."

The wind was swift coming around the last lake, but when you finally after an eternity rounded the corner, it pushed you to the end. My final time was 1:57:20, which is 37 seconds off my 1/2 personal best! Yay! I figure I'll Boston Qualify by the time I'm 89. Or so.
The fun sorta ended there. We were on the edge of a lake, the wind was blowing, we were sweaty and it was cold. I had to wait a bit for Patty and Michelle to finish, so I sat there with my teeth chattering for 45 minutes. I literally found 2 mismatched discarded gloves on the ground and put them on to help keep me warm. At 12, I went to the shuttle line to meet up with Patty and Michelle. We were planning on hopping on the shuttle, heading back to the start, driving home, getting washed up and heading back down to St. Paul for a Halloween Party at the Children's Museum- by 5-5:30 p.m. No problem, right? It was noon. I live 50 or so minutes from the cities, so we could do it.

Except. A failure in planning. There were the 6,000 runners you see, and each of us had been told not to drive to the finish, but take the shuttles they were offering.


An actual shuttle line shot. I took this about an hour into our wait. One shoot looking up at the line, and another at the waiting behind us.

Here's some math:

6 shuttles, probably 3,000-4,000 people taking the shuttles, 25+ minute round trip ride, buses that fit around 75 people.

We ended up waiting over 2 hours for a bus. The lines were packed. People were freezing, after running that long and then sitting in a cold wind. Hundreds of people were calling cabs, and fights were almost breaking out over who got the cabs when they came. It was a really, really unpleasant way to end a race. I had a splitting headache, but no water or advil, so I couldn't do anything about it. We were shivering and our teeth would not stop chattering. We ended up back at the start line about 2:30 p.m., and rushing back home. We picked up the boys (all 3 generously watched by our mother. They were total angels I am sure) and took off.

We had less than an hour to shower, get ready, pack up and head to St. Paul for the Halloween Party- nice rush! It was worth it though, because the boys had an amazing time.
They ran, played, explored, bounced, yelled, refused to sit for pictures...It was the perfect party for little men!
Patty and I? Tried not to pass out from exhaustion.

post signature

37 comments:

Ace said...

Omg, that would suck. We did a 5k yesterday too! (walked though because I'm lame and chubby and had a 10 year old complainer with me.) It was about 40 degrees here so we were pretty cold but only had maybe a 3/4 mile walk back to the car. Even just 3.1 miles is tiring when you're freezing so I cannot imagine waiting that long after!
(and next year I'm totally running it!)

Kristina P. said...

That sounds simply miserable.

Jamie said...

That wait sounds horrible. I can't believe the poor planning! Congrats on the race though!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

You are one super momma!!!

Kmama said...

Great run, but the ending totally ruined it for you, didn't it? That sucks.

Glad you made it in time for the party though!

Anonymous said...

Super period...

The Napkin Dad said...

That sounds like the worst post-race experience EVER! The very last thing on earth you want to do after sweating in perfect running weather is stand for hours in that same weather!

Of course depending on how far away you parked you could have run another 1/2 marathon or so to go get your car. Why didn't you think of that!

Trish said...

okay so you just killed my running mojo????
You could have walked back to your car faster than that....geeezzzz!
And you look adorable n the pic...LOVE LOVE LOVE those boots!

The Mother said...

Logistics can ruin anything. But I'm glad you enjoyed the day anyway.

Mrs. M said...

Ugh - bummer about the long wait, that just sucks!

Eli was a fireman last night too - same exact outfit!! :)

Jen said...

Oi. That's just terrible planning on the event people's part. Although I like point to point ones because you get to see a lot of the area you are in, they are logistically difficult. I can't imagine how awful that would be to be sweaty and cold and just standing there. Ugh. Congrats on the great finish though!

Barbaloot said...

What a great race time! Good for you.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Congrats on the end, despite the very sucky ending!

Kameron said...

You guys are nuts!! Running a half marathon and THEN going to the children's museum! I hope you got to sleep in on Sunday!

Liz Mays said...

I don't know how you kept going all day. I would have just wanted to take a nice hot shower and snuggle under the covers all day!

Nicole said...

Nice job on the race! Very cool! I would be so upset if I had to wait out in the cold for 2 hours! The organizers should change that for next year after seeing how that didn't work out. Love your halloween pics! Your boys are adorable!

Jenny said...

Congratulations on such a great race! You rocked your time!!! AWESOME! So sorry about the shuttles though! That STINKS!!! After such a good run, I'm sure you just wanted to get home and celebrate!!

Kaci said...

Oh I bet that was hell and the race director I'm sure heard about it. BUMMER!! Awesome job both of you!

Chandra said...

Dang girl, you still looked GOOD after running the marathon, waiting in the shivering cold for over 2 hours then to a Halloween party...I would have called it a day after the marathon!

Hope you guys had an awesome Halloween!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Proud of you on the race...but the post race really took a lot away from the glory :(

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Waiting for so long in that cold weather would be awful! I'm glad you made it to the party on time. The boys look cute!

The Stiffs said...

Yuck! I'm coming up with a better plan for leaving downtown Memphis in Dec. or I could just hit Beale St. all sweaty and stuff.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Major fail on the planners' part. Two hours in Minnesota in October? EEEEK!

Sarah Jane said...

I heard about the lame shuttles. Too bad. Hopefully they get it figured out better for next year!
Glad you survived!

Stephanie said...

You are one rockstar of a Mama!

Sarah said...

I won't qualify for Boston 'till I'm old and wrinkly either so we can run it together when we're in our early 90s! Which would be so bad ass, by the way. Two short little 90-year-old ladies with pierced noses running Boston? Awesome.

Amy said...

Congrats on another race.. You still amazing me.. Love the boys all dressed up.. Have a great day...

Laura Marchant said...

I don't think I would have survived that line! That's ridiculous!

purejoy said...

wow. running. on purpose!!? i'm pretty sure i would have died after the race in the cold. for real.
glad you made it in time. i would have had to have a two hour bath. and i'm not joking!

Meghan said...

Holy amazing time, woman! Congrats!!!

Missy said...

I would have needed an ambulance to take me to the finish!

Vanessa said...

Yay that you lived to tell about the race, what a crazy way to finish it!! Congratulations, glad you were still able to have some fun that night with your boys!

Anonymous said...

I wish that I liked running. But I dont..

Looks like a fun party!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

The race sounded great till the shuttle line. Glad the day ended with a nice party.

Together We Save said...

Congrats on meeting your personal best.. that stinks about the shuttles... very poor planning.

Miller Racing Family said...

Love the photo of all the different characters you ran with. So sorry about the shuttle wait. And your Halloween photos were to cute, you are your sister look so much a like.
Hope you have a great week.

honeypiehorse said...

Wow. Big marathon followed by 2 hour wait then Halloween party. Your day sounds exactly like mine... not!