11.02.2010

Embracing ME

I know a lovely lady who always has everything organized. Her clothes are perfect, no wrinkles, creases or stains. Her hair is in it's place, and her handwriting? It could be a FONT! It is that good. She is a perfectionist.

Then, there is gal.

She is usually running late. Most of the time there is either food, pen marks, or who knows what else on her clothing. She is always in a rush, loses things on a regular basis and has been known to drive 1 hour to an appointment, check in, and find out she is there on the wrong day.

She can't take a compliment, and weighs criticism much heavier than positive remarks. If you tell her she looks nice? She looks in the mirror and sees her flaws. And there are a lot. Tell her something she did is great? She will attribute it to someone/thing else, ignore it, or write it off. You see, how can you compliment her, when it is so obvious she could have done better?

Insecurities hidden by sarcasm, doubt about her abilities...the list goes on.

How can it be? How is it that the first lady I described and I?
We are both perfectionists?
You could have floored me if you would have told me that I was a perfectionist 2 months ago. I never saw that in myself, I only saw the flaws. I guess it takes someone *ahem* pointing out what a perfectionist statement it is to say you are "Not good enough to be a perfectionist." *ahem.*
So? I am s l o w l y working this out, and how it changes my thinking. I'm working on becoming, well, I guess just me.



You know? Embracing imperfection might be nice. Now, do you think i can do it perfectly?
post signature

43 comments:

teacher girl said...

Well said by such a wise, thoughtful teacher!! I always learn so much from you. I think you are just awesome!!!

Laura Marchant said...

Is it strange that I kinda wanna see a picture of her handwriting, lol?

Jen said...

Oh I really never thought of it that way. No really. I mean it makes a lot of sense but it never would have occurred to me either.

Lady Mama said...

Interesting. I think I could do with taking a leaf out of your book!

Cool Gal said...

Embracing imperfection...It's what makes us unique. :)

Kristina P. said...

I just left a comment on someone's blog the other day that I am pretty perfect at not being perfect. Let's embrace togther!

Sandra said...

I think food bits in your hair and ink marks on your clothes makes you my twin. I'm good with that look by the way!

Cheeseboy said...

You should try and become perfectly imperfect at being perfect. That would blow people's mind.

family of 4 on the move! said...

Beautiful blog!
I tend to take on the "I don't have time to be perfect" look most days! lol
If I get to where I am supposed to be and I look decent then I believe I have accomplished my goals for the day. Haha I do love to be comfortable but at the same time I also love to look fashionable I am just a little challenged in that department!

Kmama said...

As a perfectionist (to an extent) myself, I know how difficult it can be. How much stress and anxiety you can cause yourself. Hang in there. Now that you recognize it, you can work on it.

The Mother said...

Being perfect must be exhausting!

Anonymous said...

everybody is perfect in there own way..... and you are prefect...

Kameron said...

If you can get to the point of self acceptance it doesn't matter if that self is perfect or not, because no one really is. They may seem like it on the outside, but that s only a facade. You are awesome! don't say anything. I'm serious, shush. Zip it! :o)

Lindsay said...

Oh my stars! I LOVE this post. I wrote a similar mommy hood post today! LOVE IT!

Nicole said...

Love this! Beautiful writing! I think you can definetly embrace imperfection perfectly, (and I mean that in a good way:))ps i'm always running late too and have missed appts/test dates etc! My parents tell me and my sister that dinners/functions are an hour earlier than they are so we are on time!

honeypiehorse said...

Most of us embrace imperfection while pregant for the first time. Keep trying!

Lindsay said...

Love it.

Mrs. M said...

Great post - go for it! And can I see this amazing handwriting of yours??

Chandra said...

::Sighs::
It's funny how we are our own worst enemy isn't it? Others, like myself see you as beautiful, strong (hello, you run full marathons for fun!), awesome and talented. Yet when you look in the mirror you don't see that. You know how YOU can tell...look at your children...it only takes a second to look at those little boys and realize their Mom is pretty.darn.perfect!
((hugs))

"Cookie" said...

Being "just me" is the way to go!!! Perfectly imperfect! You are awesome and should know it.... no need for doubt. :)

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Imperfections are what make you and individual...otherwise you'd just be a robot. Embrace it....yes!

susan said...

great post!

so proud of you and all the hard work you are doing on yourself. keep it up.

i love that last quote, "perfectly imperfect".

Furry Bottoms said...

You know, I've always been particular to the real you. Love you just the way you are, Sara! :)

Barbaloot said...

Looks like I'm not the only one with more than one personality:) Let's both ignore the lame ones, and just have fun with our awesome ones!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Love this! And I bet you can do it perfectly!

The Stiffs said...

You are God's perfect creation, flaws and all. Hugs!

Kaci said...

I know a girl named Sara who I met through a blog and found an instant friend. We've never really been introduced but have texted, emailed, facebooked, twitterd, faxed...I would consider her a sister, a best friend and just plain PERFECT.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

This is a great post! I think you are awesome!

Jamie said...

Embrace those imperfections!!! It can be a lot of fun ;) great post!

Lori said...

I think the second lady sounds really, really interesting and more unique!! Embrace that!

Amy said...

I love your goal and I will be joining you on this one.. You so rock..

bohomamasoul said...

This was a fantastic post. And I am right there with you. I'm a perfectionist that thinks she is less than. Less than perfect, but more than that, less than average. Sara, this post was so beautifully written. And know you are an amazing, wonderful, strong WOMAN and mother...with more strengths than you know. Start to know them :)

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

I can relate to this! Thank you for sharing. I think you've said it perfectly, and here's to embracing our not-so-perfect selves!!

Miller Racing Family said...

Fabulous post. These post always make me think and always make me want to embrace me just the way I am. I will never forget your post about embracing our bodies even after 2 kids. Thanks for always being an encouragement!
Have a fabulous day!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Imperfection rocks.

I am always usually a mess too.

Anonymous said...

Yep. I've been embracing imperfection since 2000 when I had my first kiddo. It's either that or lose what's left of my mind.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I guess I can be a perfectionist too at times. I'm working on embracing me too. Good luck to you too.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Such a hard thing to accept...but it's such a gift when you can I think!

Angela said...

I loved this Sara :) You're a neat lady!! No one else could do your job better than you :)

This kind of reminds of my "What I'm For" poem that I wrote a month or two ago. Helped to remind me that I'm unique individual-- and that being ME is good :)

Great post!!

Tara said...

I am a perfectionist and I strive for it although I know it is unattainable. It causes me so much stress and anxiety. One year, I decided my mantra was "I am not a snowflake" because I'm not perfect.

I am also the one who can't accept a compliment because I see the flaws. Wow! Interesting!

Sarah MP said...

I think we all share a little bit of both of these ladies. Perfection is boring--imperfection is what makes us interesting.

I don't even really "know" you and I think you are just fabulous!!

Missy said...

Women like #1 scare me...

Vanessa said...

I think as long as you are looking to be the best you that you can be, THAT is perfection. <3