
• Save money (while making wonderful meals,) beat stress (there is NEVER an issue without bringing that bad boy up) lose 10 lbs this month, while making this delicious looking cake, (which I'd better not eat,) as it would cause that weight loss to drop, and that stress to go up?Sheesh, my blood pressure rises just reading the cover. No wonder these are placed next to the candy at the grocery store.
Or? Should I indulge, because, really? What does it hurt to "treat" yourself a little, right?
Then? We are slammed on the other side with our rising obesity, diabetes, and heart attack rates. We are touted the benefits of "green" living, being healthy, and staying balanced. The people who "do it right."
• • •
My heart hurts a little when I read blog posts all over blog land about people who are trying to lose weight and having a hard time. They slam on themselves, their "willpower", motivation, self worth...anything.
We are so hard on ourselves, aren't we? Whether it be about weight, looks, money, family, exercise, work...it is endless. (I find myself at the top of the heap of being hard on myself, obviously.)
I am one to be interested in the way our brains work. When I can dig in, and find the "nuts and bolts" of why our brains process information the way they do, what are the underlying causes behind different emotional patterns, I feel better. (fine, it is one thing to know and another to act on it) I "get" our emotional vs. rational parts of our brain.
The rational side of us makes the goals. I'll lose the weight. I'll exercise every day. I'll be more organized... (and it feels darn good to be in control.)
We start off with a vigor, excited at the new task ahead, with clear hopes of a big finish. Then the fatigue sets in. Change is hard. It requires a lot of us, in both our emotional and rational mindsets. When it gets hard? We often head back to our "emotional" side.
If you have ever emotionally eaten, this will resonate with you. You know how those feelings are so hard to deal with, shout so loudly, push so hard? Then? You deal with them by eating something. Immediate relief, followed by immediate guilt. For those 3-5 seconds, it felt so good. Until the guilt set in. "How could you eat that?" "Where is your self control?" "You failed!" "You will never lose the weight by eating like this." (And worse, of course, we all know they can get worse.)
Do we take the time to examine the emotions? I know I don't. I am learning, slowly, but it is a failure most of the time. I also know that when I see messages in media, on blogs, twitter, it reinforces my thought patterns. If I do not attend 110% to telling myself to ignore the messages being thrown my way, I am sucked back into it. (and yep, it happens to me on a daily, if not hourly basis)
I in no way believe that most of us mean to reinforce these, it is more of a sign of our society, and the values we place on looks, size and such, of which I am an active participant.
I'll read the the magazine at the checkout, and that voice in the back of my head will say, "Shouldn't have skipped that workout, huh? See that lady in line in front of you? Way thinner than you. She figured it out, why can't you?" (and you know this doesn't always have to do with weight. We each fight our own battle,this being the one most familiar to me.)
• • •
If you are a reader? If you've ever tried to change, gone on a diet, wondered why it is so hard to initiate change in some areas of your life, (i.e, eating) yet have no problem with a huge change (getting married, babies, moving) I ask plead challenge beg suggest that you take a look at a couple of books.
Switch: How to Change When Change is Hard
Switch gives real world, applicable, easy to read and comprehend reasons behind our thought patterns. It plays a part in taking that look at yourself, your goals, and why meeting them can be so difficult.
Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program that Works
If you have ever been on a diet, tried to lose weight, tried to change your eating habits, whatever it may be, this will resonate with you. You will find a part of yourself in this book. I am often stunned when I page through it. And one day? I sorta hope to be able to apply the principles of the book. baby steps, sara, baby steps.
As I said in the beginning of this post. I don't pretend this will make a lot of sense to you, as it hardly does to myself. My hope is that I personally learn from this, writing it out, re reading it and reflecting on it. If I were able to touch one other person with it? Even better. Otherwise, I'll take the benefit of knowing I am working through my own sh*&. I just know that one picture set me off, and I needed to say this.
Please remember? Dammit, you are beautiful, awesome, perfectly imperfect. Right now, right this minute. Smooch.


55 comments:
Amazing. <3 I am so glad I read this.
You make an excellent point using that magazine cover. Somehow we're supposed to be June Cleaver making these fantastic looking cakes (or whatever food is featured) but don't eat it cuz you won't lose that 10 pounds they're telling you how to go about. Crazy.
Love this Sara!!!
That cover frustrates me to know end....its like believing these actresses when the say...
I don't work out, I'm just so busy or I Chase my kids around all day. Ha!
Thank you for this.
I love this message, Sara. Bravo!
I think you're right when you say that people probably don't mean to send these messages... its just such a part of society that its "normal" now. Great post!
always always always. i never feel like i measure up. i'm unorganized...i need to drop a few more lbs....why can so and so run 5 miles just starting out and i'm struggling with 3?....i need to decorate my house better.....my car is a mess....blah blah blah. you're right though. we are all perfectly imperfect. thanks for the rant :)
Right on. There is such hypocrisy in the media around issues of health and body image for women. In women's magazines you'll see one article about loving yourself and not worrying about how you look. Turn the page, and there's an article about losing ten pounds or the latest makeup. The worst part is that with all the emphasis on weight loss, there's no education about what healthy weight and healthy habits actually look like. Most magazine cover models probably aren't at healthy weights, but they're depicted as if they're what we should all look like.
As a young adult with disordered eating and exercise habits I used to devour those magazines and use them as justification for my behaviors. The things I was doing could easily fall within the realm of "healthy". I can say without a doubt that women's magazines (Self & Fitness especially) played a huge role in supporting my disordered behaviors.
Well geez, this was a long comment. I should have just written my own blog post on it :D
Great topic, Sara! In fact, I think it would be really interesting and right up your alley to have some sort of series on one of your blogs about this issue. Media and marketing have a big influence on women- especially young and vulnerable ones.
You always make me cry! You are beautiful. Email to follow.
Amen!
Awesome post Sara! I'm lucky to be able to eat whatever I want without guilt but having been a gymnast in a past life those body image issues were there as a teenager. Now that I'm pregnant I could care less but I know not everyone is that blessed and society is no help with that at all!
Thank you for posting this, and those books. I AM an emotional eater. Hell, I eat when I'm bored, sad, stressed, not feeling well, etc. It's insane...and I need to change.
DIeting and losing weight is one of the hardest physical challenges out there--and one that we docs often underestimate.
You've done a fine job of explaining the reasons behind the difficultly. I'm not sure I have much to add except:
Don't fall victim to fad diets. Do your homework and keep your skeptical thinking cap on,
Oh, and the basics never change. Eat less, mostly whole grains/veg, and exercise.
So true! I get frustrated as well. And I get really frustrated with myself when I berate myself.
I also hate "mompetition". I hate how judgemental women are!!!
Well written. Change is so hard. I have read the How to change book. and I will check out the second one you recommended. Now to apply the principles.
Thanks you for your wonderful post!
Yeah to you.. It is so hard I think for women at times we feel we have to fit in a certain place. I mean like you showed us the mag. picture. We usually see this women who are perfect.. I mean it is just not cool. I do not see as much pressure put on men in that sense. I love you last picture and I try my best to keep my head up and know I am beautiful. I have a little girl and I want her to be happy with who she is and if I do not do that then she will not see this.. Thanks for posting this.. Have an amazing day..
Well said. Both books will be in my basket today.
Our society is so contradictory! Weight loss books right next to Paula Deen cookbooks - Eat this, don't eat that. Supersize your meal for 50 cents. How can you pass up that deal? It's hard when you constantly compare yourself to others and it goes so far back for many of us. I can remember my Mom pointing people out in public and saying, "I'm not as big as she is, am I?" - great message to send to your 7 year old...image matters and I'm better than the other guy, right? But, old habits die hard, so we trudge on and hope that we can find that inner sanctum that reminds us that we are beautiful, awesome and perfectly imperfect! Thanks for helping me remember :)
Contradictory, double standarded, unsensical (see, I put a spin on a word you created!) and its no wonder every single one of us suffer some kind of mental illness. And yes, I do mean everyone. If you deny it, you are craizer than someone who admits it! But anyway not my point. My point was...
Sara said that I am beautiful, awesome, perfectly imperfect. Right now, right this minute!!! Woo-Hoo!!!
Thanks Sara! I think people always need to hear that. It's so easy to tear ourselves down---and so easy to look at the things others have that you don't that we forget to tell ourselves the good things.
Thanks for the reminder:)
I knew you knew all of this stuff…
“Please remember? Dammit, you are beautiful, awesome, perfectly imperfect. Right now, right this minute. Smooch.”
Do you hear me?
It's tough. When you figure it out, let me know.
Very well said Sara! Our society is so crazy with all the mixed messages, and us women suffer the most from it. I've been through major ups and downs with my weight in my lifetime starting at age 9. I'd compare my body with my friends body and I'd feel depressed that I was bigger than her. It's such a hard thing, weight loss, food, balance, and I believe it's something we are all dealing with and will continue to deal with for many years to come. Wish I knew a way of fixing our minds :)
My thighs, butt and stomach are sighing in relief after reading this.
All those mixed messages, so little time to enact all of them and get frustrated. =/
I am looking for a new, healthy approach and this has helped immensely. Thank you.
omg...please, please don't leave me hanging. i am dying to know some unusual teacher gifts. =)
i'm sorry i came over here to post this, but i am squirming with curiosity.
It's all about money. Weight loss, makeup, being the perfect "woman" "mother" or whatever is all about money. They can sell you the magazine to make that delicious cake, then sell you the diet bill to lose the weight. Then refer you to the gym when the pill didn't work, then you pay the therapist because you're so depressed you don't look good enough.
Really? REALLY? And where is the pressure on the men? I think I've seen 1 men's magazine compared to 100 women's magazines about looking good, working out, losing weight etc. If I'm gonna get sucked in to look skinny, I don't want a bunch of fatty-boom-batty men to choose from.
And with that....I'm enjoying this Christmas cookie!
Well said!
Incredibly beautiful post!
I also loved the words you used to finish your post.
Awesome!
B xx
Whew. Good rant. I hear you. I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 6 months. I wanted a good guideline for how much I should be eating. It's been quite helpful. I'll have to check out the Intuitive Eating book, too- looks good.
Loved this post Sara - I will definitely look into these books!
Wonderfully said!!
I beat myself up all the time. Totally need to change that!
I too feel overwhelmed by just how much I am expected to accomplish by a random magazine. It is exhausting to be so many things all the time and I've had to learn that its okay if I'm not perfect!! Life will still go on...
Great post!
LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!
You are absolutely right on all accounts. We need to stop this "I will be happier when ____" and "I will be happier if ____" And just plain BE HAPPY with who we are. =) Doesn't mean we can't strive to better ourselves, but the biggest thing is you have to love yourself before you want to change. Not want to change so you can love yourself.
Great post and it did make sense. Thank you! You are beautiful, no more comparing to ladies in grocery stores :)
Awww, thank you for this - I needed it. Those books look excellent. I agree with what you've said here. We put enormous pressure on ourselves to do everything perfectly then feel like a failure when we don't succeed. We all have so much going on it's hard to find the time and energy for anything else!
It makes complete sense. I've never even thought about the contradictions on the magazine covers. That's nuts. No wonder we all struggle so much! Intuitive Eating is on my list of books to get as soon as I can spend money on ME again.... which may be never. sigh.
Oh how those magazines put me over the edge. Excellent post. And I'm definitely going to look into those books.
What a fantastic post, Sara, and so true. That cover is a perfect example of why we're so screwed. We're constantly bombarded with ways to lose weight (not all of which are healthy, as we all know) and then we're told to indulge, give in to the cravings, and just try a little. It's maddenint.
The focus should always be on creating a POSITIVE self-body image, something that I very rarely see anywhere. Women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful and I love that you ended your post by stating just that :)
I read switch and LOVED it. SO now I can't wait to read the other one. You're THE BEST!
Sometimes I think I have it figured out. Sometimes I know I don't. Day to day.
This rant was worth the read.
I am average weight, but if someone shoves a burger in my face, my will power is gone. I love them way too much.
You are so right. Media and marketing have done a number on us, and people in society finish us off. When we aren't doing that job ourselves.
I think becoming a mother has helped me see, as you said, we really all are perfect the way we are. Each baby is a miracle. Babies grow into children and into adults, and that's a miracle too. We just forget the miracle of life itself.
You are so right! I have always struggled with my weight. I've always been big and right now I'm at my biggest but I'm stuck in a cricle of hell that I don't know how to break!!! What I want most of all is for my daughter to grow up with a good body image and not hate herself when she eats a chocolate biscuit or has a glass of wine!!! xxx
I am always laughing at those magazine covers.
GREAT POST, friend!!!!!
I doubt there is a woman in the world who won't get this. Raising my hand and admiting I am an emotional eater, have seen that skinny minny in front of me at the check out line....and checked out her grocery's and thought WTH? I can do that? Time to be happy for HEALTH not weight:)
Wow you are soo right and Ill have to check out some of those books.. funny the thoughts going thru ur head at the checkout line I have them all the time.
I just had a conversation with my sociology students about the pressures that women face to maintain a perfect appearance, and how we're bombarded with these messages from every direction. Thanks for such a powerful post!
I think we all see ourselves in the worst light many times…I know that I will often do that. We think that everyone else is focused on our weight, looks, clothes, or whatever.
Sometimes, I feel like I know the truth, but I just won't let myself believe it. It's as if I don't believe that I deserve the truth of my own worth.
This is such a wonderful post!!
I am right there with you. I am on a teeter totter with my weight. Up then down then up then down. I can't seem to get a good ballance. :o( Myabe I'll check out the books. Something has to help.
What an amazing post!!
I imagine this is a very relevant topic for lots of women. Not for me, of course, as I've found my own balance - I just get pregnant every few years and eat whatever I want. ;-) Happy holidays!
Post a Comment