3.30.2011

Friendly Advice? Or Trying to Off Me?

I run (in case you didn't know. I don't talk abou it much. well, when I am sleeping I don't) Anyway, a friend noted that I run alone most of the time as if my own company isn't SEVERAL friends right there. Concerned for my safety, the friend suggested I look at carrying a small gun. 
Yes.
Sara.
Gun.
Moving.


While this may seem as though it was friendly advice; I tend to believe it is, in fact, an attempt to off me. 


If you know me, you know I run because it requires little balance. Like barely any. I just have to try and point my body in a semi-straight line. harder than it looks, really 
Even walking? I can't walk in a straight line and stay upright. I weave. Bob. Move. Within a 1/2 hour of walking with me, most people give up and walk ahead or behind me. I'm not sure whether I am just crooked, or if shiny things distract me from my path. 


Even the thought of me running with a gun sends me into fits of laughter. While I am afraid of axemurderers, bears, skunks, foul smells, bad weather, snakes, chaffing, horses, rabid dogs and squirrels, and a few other things, I try not to think of being offed by someone. 
I could look up the statistics on the probability, but I am scared too. 
I could run in town, but my butt jiggles, and the less who see it, the better. 
Also, running in town reduces the likelihood of me being chased by dogs, which really has done wonders for my pace.


I've put thought into this. Written posts on safety. I am pretty much not scared of being killed while running from a nasty person. However, I am now considering the thought that the mere fact I have written down my lack of concern will in turn make it become reality. You know, because once it has been said, it becomes true, right? i am a millionaire i am a millionaire i am a millionaire


I'm curious? Do you think this friend was trying to off me? Or simply concerned? 
post signature

47 comments:

The Stiffs said...

Concerned. Because I tend to visit my family way out and the sticks and sometimes run there, I have a little bitty thing called a screecher. It emits a horrible sound that will protect you from the biggest of dogs and men for that matter. Now, I also live in Memphis. I have another handy dandy object that shoots a gel pepper mace material. It shoots out a light to let me know exactly where I'm aiming. My cop brother gave it to me. You don't want it on you. When you try to get it off it sticks. I'm terrified of the thing but I keep it locked in my glove compartment for trips downtown. I say just to be safe, go with the screecher. Even if she was trying to off you, you'll be safe.

Foursons said...

Definitely trying to off you. Bwhahahahahahahahaha.

Kaci said...

Ummmm...well maybe just concerned. Jon is the same way when I'm out running, he wanted me to run with pepper spray before and I just don't see holding on to that for 5 or so miles.

Sara said...

Hello... Are you supposed to get some kind of holster or something? Or just carry it in your hand? Because even if you run in the middle of nowhere, I'm pretty sure you just can't be waving a gun around. And if you do get a holster, how is THAT aerodynamic? Holsters don't match running clothes.

Meghan said...

Your friend is definitely concerned, but I would be concerned about that friend for even suggesting the gun!

Kristina P. said...

I would definitely take precautions. I don't think it hurts to carry pepper spray or something.

We had a running trail rapist in our area, recently, who attacked two women who were running in a wooded area, alone. So, I wouldn't be super paranoid, but I also wouldn't take it lightly.

Jen said...

I would say its concern most definitely. I totally try not to think about it but I am more frightened by wild animals and rabid dogs than people. I try to smart about it though. Like if I see people hanging out underneath the bridges on the bike path I frequent and it is dark, I alternate my route. Now you've got me wondering about the statistics!

Mrs. M said...

Hmmmmmm...close call. But I'm pretty sure it was just some friendly advice. Pretty sure. In any case a rear view mirror to hang from your head when you run might be in order.

Tiffany Tweedie said...

Uh... I think it's 50/50. I'm not a gun person, so I'd say off you. But that's because I'd be much more likely to shoot myself in the foot and ever even wave it at someone.

However, around here, I'm much more likely to get run over or attacked by a mountain line than accosted by a person. We have little crime in my area, but lots of crappy drivers and woody type areas.

Of course, nowadays I do most of my running... ok, I don't run! But I plan to start up again soon. Honest!

Lady Mama said...

Given the bobbing and weaving, I think the gun might not be the best idea. Get yourself pepper spray and learning to sprint really fast instead?

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

You are so silly. I don't evem know how to respond to this. :)

Anonymous said...

The thought of you running with a gun in the middle of the night during Ragnar just entered my mind. Oh boy!

Furry Bottoms said...

I think your friend was concerned, for sure. But knowing you and your klutzness... on one hand not a good idea. You totally would shot yourself in the butt, totally!!

On the other hand, you do have this fear of ax-murderers so.... suppose you were out running and got kidnapped by ax-wielding clowns, a gun would be handy. In all likelihood, you probably won't need the gun, period.

Your friend was concerned, hahaha, not offing you. If she were, I would be mad!

Unknown said...

I run (ok, I don't, but when I did...) with mace in my hand. It's this can that contours to your hand, so my thumb is always on the lid to the trigger. That gives me a little bit of peace.

I would neheeeever run with a gun, I'd end up offing MYSELF!

Tara said...

Wow! Not sure running with a gun is ever a good idea. Not really sure where you would conceal it in the first place. I like what Julie said...can of mace that contours to your hand.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Totally trying to off you...

Make sure to get to her first! WINNING

More Than Words said...

LOL..good one! If you're talking about your stalker, then I would have to say she's trying to off you!!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Concerned. I remember hearing a case about a crazy guy who would attack female runners.

Farmers Wifey said...

Hmmmmm I wonder where you'd put it?? I mean, you don't carry a handbag while running..

Richelle said...

I'm sure your friend was only concerned for your safety. Instead of a gun, how about running with mace or pepper spray to ward off would-be attackers?

Kmama said...

You have me cracking up. I love the part about you not being sure if you are in fact, crooked. LMAO.

Kelli said...

Probably concerned. But really? Running with a gun? I don't recommend cops do it, more less a spazy girl. (Woman, whatever). I know I wouldn't try it.
But we do have a gun at home. Last week Brad made me cock it. I really didn't like that.

"Cookie" said...

You are hilarious! Just the thought of you running and having a gun on you at the same time... sends me into a fit of giggles. :)

Barbaloot said...

I think this friend is just confused. Even a person with decent balance abilities would be a mess carrying a gun while running. How would that even work?!

Kirsten said...

Definitely trying to off you!

heidi said...

You're not one of Charlie's Angels. You should not be running with a gun. Carry a baton or some pepper spray and just swing and spray while running.

If balance is the issue you can carry two guns like that Tomb Raider chick and just let off sprays of bullets from each hand.

You could totally rock that.

King J's Queen said...

Concerned and innocently trying to off you. I'm all for having a gun and knowing how to use it. However, I'm not too keen on the idea of running with one. Besides, you might be tempted to shoot a snake and the bullet might ricochet back at you. Then, you'd have a bullet hole and a po'd snake. Bad combination.

Joking aside, that's one of my issues with walking outside. Alone, I do not feel safe, ever, in any location. Pepper sprays, in any form, can end up in your own eyes if you are downwind, although they are certainly better than nothing. Screeching alarms/whistles are helpful at running off a would-be attacker, but at the same time, people hearing them often ignore them.

Maybe carry a can of shaving gel. If you feel threatened, put a little around your mouth and start screaming "I have rabies" at your would-be attacker.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Sara, please don't run with a gun. LMAO!

The Mother said...

Neither guns nor nuclear bombs go off from being bounced around.

I'm guessing concern, not murderous intent.

Momma got the runs said...

I run alone too and early. Most people think Im nuts but I love the time alone when everything is still. So I pack a mean ol' pepper spray, a handheld and I point it outward and lock it. YES I will probably blind myself before I squirt an offender but I DO see people looking at it when I run by them so it must do some good. I also dress in what I call an antirape kit- ugly hair, no makeup, nasty clothes. No booty shorts at 6 am (or ever) for me. I figure why tempt a weirdo? So just some ideas for you..

alison said...

i always felt relatively safe running our driveway because at one end is my in-law's house and at the other end is my husband's aunt and uncle's house. then i found out that his aunt and uncle can't hear a darn thing in their house and his parent apparently don't either! but then, i was okay with it because we live out in the country and anyone out there is either lost or family (or sometimes a combination of both!). then, skunks started coming out....NOT something i'm trying to run up on! and the bats??? oh my word, the bats we have out there are REDONKULOUS! they like to dive bomb and swoop and generally act vampirey. so, now i just don't run when the sun isn't up.

Holly said...

I can't really answer a question about whether you should run with a gun.

But I have to tell ya, I am in part afraid of running because there was a woman who went running through our neighborhood early one morning and was attacked.

A runner friend of mine goes early too and says she carries mace. Old school.

IDK, maybe you could go running with an attack dog?

Anonymous said...

I think in some sort of strange way the person was trying to get you to off yourself, thinking that while running you might shot yourself in the ass by mistake or something...


Dont do it just out the cazed killer on your tail and be sure to watch out for the rabid crows as you cannot out run them.

Liz Mays said...

It was totally out of concern, and they probably saw a recent newscast about a mugging or some such.

But how about mace? Or something less apt to go off accidentally and shoot a toe.

Missy said...

You need a gun.
Do you not watch the news?
You need a gun!!!

Anonymous said...

I would say concerned for sure. If this person was in my family I'd say the opposite but I think you are safe from the insane people who call themselves my relatives!

Kameron said...

I'm pretty sure a gun is overkill. Totally didn't mean that pun. I would suggest mace or pepper spray. You have less of a chance of hurting yourself with one of those options!

Michelle said...

My husband tries to get me to carry mace when running. I think it is a good idea and I probably should but honestly for me it isn't practical. Part of the joy of running is just being free, in your thoughts, in your own space. I don't want to have to carry a pack to hold my mace. He also bought me a waist pack to hold my water bottle for Christmas and I've never used it once. I like things a certain way when I run, call me crazy!

Amy said...

Hmm I would carry a spray or something.. I do not think running with a gun would be that safe. That is just how I think.. Sorry.. Hugs..

Have an amazing weekend..

Val said...

Yowza, Let me digest this and get back to you ; ))) I hope you have a great weekend my friend!!

Betty Manousos said...

Honestly...trying to off you. lol!

Cheeseboy said...

Ha ha! No way is this safe in any form or fashion. I think your chances of shooting yourself would be higher than getting attacked.

I was once jogging and I thought I was getting shot at. I ducked for cover behind a tree. Turns out it was just cans being pulled behind a "Just Married" car. No joke.

Hey, I did an April Fools prank on some of the 6th graders in my school. Video now on my blog.

Meg said...

Haha, my guess is she is trying to protect you but sounds like this is not a good plan.

Get a dog, they won't turn on you--you can't kill yourself with your dog. ;)

Miller Racing Family said...

Oh, how I love how you think. I tell Donnie all the time I walk the same general route in case something happens to me he will be able to find me, lol.
Have a great weekend!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Concerned and not totally aware of the dangers you pose to yourself ;)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I would probably shoot myself in the foot.