Many of you have probably looked at pictures of me and thought, "She doesn't look like she has an eating disorder. She is pretty normal size, could even lose some." And you know? I thought the same thing. Like there is some sort of "ideal eating disorder shape" you must obtain before you are able to really be credible with your illness.
Today, I was told (by a well meaning person) that I do not appear "sick, or unhealthy, like I need treatment."
Damn, that hurts. It also sends my ed into a tailspin of happiness, throwing thought after thought at me that I need to embrace the illness in order to appear more ill, and truly deserve the title as having an ED.
And? I have thought the same thing about others. One post I wanted to write about was my observations regarding those I see at the center I am in. My first few visits? EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON. in the waiting room was obese. NOT ONE small, too thin, nervous anorexic in the lot. Now? I am actually more surprised to see a very thin person than not. (which obviously correlates with our "super size" society and the push to consume too much)
What might you see walking into the waiting room and spending an hour sitting there to observe?
• Women- of all ages. I checked in behind an overweight woman who was in her late 60's- early 70's yesterday. There are times when I am the youngest person in the waiting room- by at least 10 years.
• Men- every age, shape, and variety you could ever imagine. I am still shocked at times at the types (think construction men wearing work boots) who are checking in for them self.
• Every shape imaginable. From people who have to use a wheelchair for mobility to the other extreme. I still shake my head when I find myself in disbelief at someone I see there, because by now? I should be used to it.
Because we all deserve health. The opportunity to regain health does not mean each individual has to hit the same point on a spectrum. (Hence, why one would view it as a spectrum...just saying.)
I'm saddened by the fact that others would believe certain criteria need to be met in order to justify help. (especially when those are 100% visual criteria) Each an every one of us- every one of you reading this- all have the "right" to have a condition, whether you "look" it or not. I question how many people turn away from the programs, afraid to walk in the door for this very reason. Because that is just plain sad.
I have never seen myself as a person to set out and change perspectives, but if just standing up and saying, "I am enough" does so, good. I'm doing this for myself, my family, my health, my future, for each person who believes in me. And each of those on their own is enough. They don't even care that I am "not sick enough."
--thus ends current rant. Will be around to visit you all soon...this crap takes up a good portion of my time..!
29 comments:
First off- I've never looked at a picture of you and thought you needed to lose weight.
Secondly- my thoughts on ED are all the stereotypes you listed and I'm a bit shocked to learn that people with ED's are obese. It seems contradictory. I'm thankful you have opened my eyes.
And- I'm proud of you.
I know that there are TONS of people suffering who don't look remotely thin, so I really do understand this rant. Every ED is different!
I'm so sorry that you have to hear hurtful comments. Maybe if we all did talk about it more, there would be more compassion (and understanding). Thank YOU for letting us in and helping us understand! Rooting for you :)
You confided in this person by sharing things on your blog and they come back with that remark? Terrible. Just terrible.
My nephew was just diagnosed with Asperber's Disease. He doesn't look different. He doesn't talk different. He doesn't sound different then any other teenager...but he IS different. Disease's come in all types, sizes, and conditions...I wish everyone would learn think before they speak.
That is awful for someone to say to you. I am sorry you had to hear that.
Looking for the words for you. I don't seem to have any. You know your body. You know if you need help. You do what you have to do.
Interesting. I knew some men had ED but I had no idea it was so prevalent. Glad you are betting better. Still hoping things continue to improve.
I'm sorry for the ignorance you endured by having to hear that comment. sadly ignorance is everywhere. Hopefully the intentions weren't malicious. Hugs girl.
I think EDs are just finally morphing into what they really are from a "labeling perspective"...like you said, people of all shapes and sizes have illness in the way they see themselves and the coping mechanisms they use (like food). Even in running, how many times do people say things to others like "you don't look like a marathoner" (or runner). I'm glad you are seeking help - you know yourself better than anybody, so if you need help, you need help. And I'm glad you're getting it! You're a great person - you deserve to feel happy.
praying that you get stronger every day!!!
(((hugs))) for you from me! :)
To me, you look like a person who is full of zeal for life and is meeting her challenges head-on, determined to defeat the obstacles in the way. Keep it up and know there are way more of us who support your efforts than there are who question them.
Let me get this off my chest... when you referred to "ED" in passing in previous posts... I was totally confused because I thought it meant er*ctile dysfunction and I couldn't imagine you needed treatment for that. UGH!
Embarrassing moment aside: wow. Completely sucker punched by this post because I didn't expect it.
I've struggled since middle school and rarely got to the point of looking too thin. Which gave me an excuse to try to maintain control and push my weight back down because I wasn't looking thin so therefore I was healthy according to everyone else.
Thank you for writing this and putting it out there. This is such a yucky thing to get beat up by (you're your own worst enemy). Praying for success for you!
There are so many stereotypes surrounding ED, and I also find myself believing them. I never once thought that you needed to lose weight, but I did have thoughts about how you view yourself, because I think you look great.
It would shock me (and did shock me) that overweight people would be suffering with ED's...but that's those darn stereotypes working.
I think if we're all honest we have a certain image in our mind of what a person with an ED looks like.... is it correct? Odds are, no it's not. Truthfully, when I picture a person with an ED it's a rail thin female..... I admire you and think you are an awesome person. You're doing what you need to do for YOU and your family. And as you're doing so, you're also teaching us that don't really understand or get it to stop and think. To think about stereotypes.... to think about judging others.... to think about what is "enough"
First of all shame on that person. It makes me mad and I want to just let lose on them but I am going to say that for another day. Instead I will say you are beautiful inside and out- you are strong and sweet and I admire you for stepping out and talking about ED and helping us to learn more about it! I am cheering for you girl!
One of BFF's has an ED. I've known her for 20 years and it has always been a part of who she is. I think I have learned through her that every person's struggle is different.
Hope you are doing well!
That was very well said. ((hugs))
Thinking of you and to me your perfect in every way with a huge heart!
I never thought you needed to lose weight either. Good luck with your treatment and good job helping to change how people see ED.
Thanks for stopping by today and commenting on my blog.
I'm so sorry you have an ed and that people haven't been as kind about it as they could be, saying things like that you don't look like you have a problem. I have a bad hip and have gotten rude comments about it as well, such as I just need to walk the pain off.
I'm pretty sure I have an ed too. I've just never bothered to see anyone about it. I don't think I'd need to check into a hospital for it though, I'm sure therapy would probably do a world of good for me.
I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you recover fully.
Excellent, excellent post. When people think of eating disorders, they immediately picture an emaciated anorexic. Bulimia, however, is much more common and doesn't necessarily result in any weight loss at all.
When I had the gestational diabetes with Lila, everyone would always say I don't fit the bill for this. I just wanted to scream and say, I know I have done everything by the book, but my blood says we have a problem.
Keep up the good work!
I think you look amazing, and I'm so proud of you for getting the help you need.
You're right, though...this can affect anybody!
It's not crap though Sara - it's you getting better...take your time and do it right. :)
I do think you're changing perspectives on this issue by writing these posts, because you do it with such a genuine voice. I know every time I read your posts you make me think about it from a different perspective.
I totally understand this. I believe I had an eating disorder at one point and it was actually when I was at my biggest, by the way, I've never thought you needed to lose weight. You look awesome to me :) Anyway, back when I was 20 (and coincidentally I was training for a marathon), was when I was at my worst. 25 lbs bigger and constantly thinking about food. I would work out like a maniac, then starve myself like a maniac, then eventually binge. I tried to throw it up many times, but could never really make it happen. I became very depressed over it and felt completely out of control. When I turned 21 I served an 18 month volunteer mission. I didn't date, didn't watch tv or listen to music, and focused all my time on helping other people. It was the absolute best thing for me. Not saying you should do this, haha, totally unpractical. I'm just saying that you're doing the right thing by getting help. It's all emotional and I think getting help is the best thing you can do as far as healing goes. It will help you love yourself and your body, which is really what it's all about.
Good luck!!!
*hugs* Hang in there!
hugs to you.. I just wanted to say hello.. Thanks for your kind words on my blog.. Have a great day..
"I have never seen myself as a person to set out and change perspectives, but if just standing up and saying, 'I am enough' does so, good." Best thing ever right there, friend. Hugs to you....
Post a Comment