7.24.2011

Warrior Dash 2011

 Well, at least this race came already named, saving me from having to! 
The Warrior Dash is a race where you "dash" a short distance (a bit over 3 miles) and complete 12 obstacles along the way. (if you were to ask me, there were more like 234 obstacles, because those hills were like 43 obstacles each. I mean, who has a running race running UP ski hills?!) 


Anyway. Patty and I were running late (mostly because she got lost and didn't trust my totally accurate navigation skillz). Parking? In a farm lot, where you took a hayride to a shuttle, which took you to the start.
 


See how relaxed we look despite the fact we just realized we have about 20 minutes to make it to the race, get our packets, check our bags, get situated, and start?
We made it though, and even had time for some clean pics! 



The run? Obstacles included running through tires and jumping over sets of cars (4 sets), army crawling through a "bunker" , over a set of barriers & barbed wire, over ropes courses, over walls by rope... and so forth! The last .75 miles was almost complete mud, and the last .25 mile? You were soaked by a hose, went down a huge "slip and slide", jumped over 2 fires (As seen below. That is not me. Trust me, if someone had gotten it on camera, it would have looked way less cool than that.)
(...not even to mention the sight seeing along the way. I saw more men and women running in underwear than you could imagine. Actually, don't even TRY to imagine, it was that bad. One guy? I am not sure the briefs he was wearing were legal, much less what was poking out the front.)
 Finally, you jumped into a mud pit about 3 feet deep with barbed wire above your head and army crawled your way through it to the finish line. 
 Followed by the obligatory pictures of you and friends covered in mud to show how tough you are or are pretending you are.





At this point, all I could concentrate on was getting (somewhat) clean, and buying a turkey leg. Everyone was walking around with a turkey leg and I decided I need my own club.) 

You know those machines that make snow? Yeah, that is what they used to "hose" us off. Yeah, I still had mud in every imaginable surface. 

(FYI: Turkey leg was a total bust. Those things? Have the most skin, cartilage, and bone I have ever seen. The skin? THICK! Multi layered! Sick!)  







And this was just from walking to the exit. The mud was unavoidable!




Overall? Great experience, and a great way to draw attention to a beautiful little girl and her story. (http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/baileymoore)


post signature

28 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds and looks super fun! I so wish we lived closer as I would totally force you to be my running bud!

Anonymous said...

What an event! Ibet the mud felt good. It looks like it was a hot day.

Jenny said...

Looks like so much fun!!!!

alison said...

yeah, i would TOTALLY do one of those races!! any excuse to roll around in the mud ;)

The Stiffs said...

That totally reminds me of a college bar crawl.

Teamarcia said...

OMG looks like a really fun mess. Love that your girls wore skirts!
I've never had a turkey leg and probably won't after your review-ha!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I can;t believe you did this! I am so proud of you- I am laughing at the mud pictures because that is so something you would get yourself into but I am so proud of you. it must have felt so good to do that!

Kmama said...

That actually sounds like fun! Good job! And I had to laugh that you all wore skirts. Awesome.

Kelli said...

That sounds like it was fun! Even though I'm not a fan of getting dirty or wet for the most part, I think I might have enjoyed that. Any way to just do the obstacles and not the running part?

King J's Queen said...

It sounds like great fun, except for the running and mud part. Ha.

The dude in the royal blue micro-speedos would have done me in. I *almost* commented about him to you when I first saw the pic. Oh my. Why was he still clean and why was he wearing a lei? (Really inappropriate joke forming in my mind...)

Were those ladies really wearing underoos? On the outside? I don't think I'd want to run behind somebody wearing mud-stained underoos. Bahahahaha....

Kristy said...

Funny thing is that my step-sister just posted on FB last night that she's doing one in OK in Sept and was looking for people to join her. Having never heard of it, I did a quick google search and then told her to have fun with that!! :)

You gals look great! And yes, you definitely look tough!

KSK said...

That looks like a lot of fun!!! *And for a good cause!! :)

Chandra said...

Our local KC Warrior Dash is this weekend! I have some friends who are running in it. Training since late April. Taking it very serious. On the otherhand my two babysitters are running it...they haven't trained at all. I think they might be in trouble...ontop of the fact that it is supposed to be over 100 degrees again..bwahahahahaha!

It looks like fun but the OCD in me would die at the first spec of mudd on my shoes or under my nails not to mention the other places it might end up. Ahhhhhh. ;)

Annsterw said...

That is soooo awesome that you ran this!! My mom, sisters and I are all running the same race in Ohio in Sept...I am even more excited now that I have seen your pictures!
You ROCK!

Kristina P. said...

Now this race seems kind of fun!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sounds super fun!

Barbaloot said...

I did something like that last month---the Dirty Dash. I don't think it was quite as hard core as yours, but I loved it! Running in mud and having water sprayed at you is so much fun!

Kayla said...

We have one here in Tulsa called The Mud Run...after your post, I'm ALMOST inspired enough to join in

Wiz said...

That looks like so much fun!

Liz Mays said...

You are totally hardcore, and I love it! Glad you documented the day in photos too.

Foursons said...

I read this post early this morning and I guess I never commented. I'm sold. Where do I sign up?

Kaci said...

Holy cow, umm you have fun with those races and I'll just sit back and watch. Mmm kay?

Kameron said...

That sounds like a good spectator sport! I don't know that I could make it through one! Great job!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That looks like so much fun! You looked fierce!

Mrs. M said...

Way to go! I wonder if I can overcome my hatred of mud to try something like this?? :)

Richelle said...

Congrats! Maybe someday I'll work up the nerve to do a Warrior Dash.

Miller Racing Family said...

That looks like a muddy mess, just what we like,lol. Looks like you had a blast!
Blessings!

I {heart} Nap Time said...

Oh my that looks like so much fun!! Congrats! So glad I stumbled upon your blog! You are so cute!

xoxo-
Jamielyn
I ♥ Nap Time