11.21.2011

Thanksgiving

I know I wrote last year of my brother's death (on Thanksgiving Day 2004), and a bit of the memories of the hours and days preceding his death. I wrote of the surreal feelings as I watched nurses push a machine out into the hall that had only hours before been used to keep my brother alive. No longer needed, it was placed in the hallway outside the ICU to be moved along. 
I believe it was - is- therapeutic to write of those last moments, to relive them at times, to remember the emotions ripping through us. If I've learned anything, it is that holding them inside of myself gains me nothing. 
With the passing of time I can look back and see the tidal wave of grief already washing over our family. I remember sitting in the hospital thinking,  
"Everything is going to change. Everything." 

 I can recall the fear I felt engulfing me as I thought about all that was going to change, how f*cking hard it was going to be, how f*cking much it was going to hurt, and for so long.

Seven years later? It still hurts. No, not with the same burning intensity it did in the beginning (those familiar with grief know the pain that realization brings as well). 


Seven years later? The memories of those months after still ravage. However, I feel peace as well. Peace in knowing life still holds joy, love, warm memories. 

While my heart hurts that Bri will never see his nephews grow up, I've learned to smile through the tears when I see them act like he used too.

I know - even as the tears roll down my cheeks as I type-  that we are going to be okay. Thanksgiving will never be the same for us, but instead will always be more special to us. As we gather, we look through pictures, recall memories, laugh, cry, visit Bri's grave to light a candle, and embrace every moment we have together. My boys will squeeze me when I cry, my sister and I will fight over who was Brian's favorite (like there is even a question, right?), we will hold eachother up as family. Our family has created new holiday traditions since Brian's death. My mom, sister, and myself will head out for some Black Friday shopping, shiver in the cold, laughing at how Bri is probably looking down at us laughing at our "stupid shopping." We'll laugh because he would have had a list of items for us to pick up for him. 

  
As I said last year, "Sometimes, the miracle is the miracle of time." 
My wish for your this Thanksgiving? To take a minute to push all the worries of the moment aside, take stock, and enjoy the miracle of each breath you take.
 
post signature

P.S. If you stuck through this thing, thanks. I needed to cry and get it out!

21 comments:

Liz Mays said...

When you were talking about the intensity of the initial pain, I so understood! I'm glad that diminishes over time, so that we can survive. We learn to live with the emptiness, but we never forget. I'm sorry that you don't have your brother, but it made me smile to see that he's still very much a part of your life. I love that you tease each other about who was his favorite!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh sweet sweet friend. I am glad you were able to write about this and I had no idea as I did not read your post last thanksgiving about your brother. My heart is with you during this time and my prayers as well. You are such a strong and amazing woman. How proud your kids and husband should be of you. i am sorry you don't have him in your life anymore but I am glad to see him staying apart of your life in other ways! We love you

Kaci said...

You can cry to me whenever you want, but you know that already. On the 19th was my BFF Amy's birthday who passed away in 99. I cried a little that day and made a special birthday wish. It doesn't really get any easier, the tears are less but the sadness is still there.

Sarah said...

Love this post. I remember your post from last year. I can imagine how therapeutic it would be to write about it all, and I'm glad you're coming to see Thanksgiving as an even more special time because you can remember him and enjoy some of those memories along with the sadness. And knowing your family will always be together on that day because is it Thanksgiving, while forever changing the holiday's significance for you, is also pretty special. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving and a strong sense of peace and love coming from your brother this week :)

Barbaloot said...

I can't imagine the pain of losing a sibling. I do understand what you mean by the pain still being there---just maybe not as sharp sometimes. I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family. And I agree with your brother---Black Friday shopping is a horrible idea:)

Kristina P. said...

I've had several friends recently, who have been grieving the loss of a child, sibling, or parent. I don't think the pain ever truly goes away.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

The pain of losing someone never goes away. I'm glad you have been able to remember the good times and create new traditions that remember your brother.

bobbi said...

:(

Wishing you a Thanksgiving full of family and warm memories...

Annsterw said...

Embrace the good times and memories!!! In the end, that is all we all have of each other and the blessed time we spent together! Sounds like you all made a LOT of amazing memories although the time was unfairly short! Hugs to you and your family through this hard time of the year :-(

Erin said...

Love you

Kmama said...

Oh my gosh woman. For as easily as you can make me laugh, you can make me cry too.

I will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving!

Jen said...

Oh, Sara...so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful, heart-wrenching post. I'm glad you feel some peace and have learned to "smile through the tears".
Hugs XOXO

Bari said...

Love you. ((hugs))

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have a good friend who recently lost her BFF, a childhood forever friend. Reading through your post has given me some words, some strength to draw on to help her. I'm so glad the writing has helped you!
Hugs to you....

Impulsive Addict said...

Oh no. What a sad post. And now I need to read your link that you attached up at the top.

I suck at words so I'm just gonna say that I'm sorry and if you were closer, I'd offer you a hug....or a drink of some kind.

I hope Thanksgiving is a happy time for you guys to reflect back on all the good memories. xoxo

King J's Queen said...

It is my hope that the special memories your family shared with your brother bring comfort and peace on Thanksgiving for you all. ((HUGS))

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I wish I could give you a big hug.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Amy said...

hugs Sara.. I read the post last year..When I got my beagle I remember your Brother had one.. When I see his picture with his dog it makes me think of my Belle...
i send my thoughts to you.. Come by today I posted for you...

Tara said...

Thinking of you and your family. The pain isn't as intense but it is still there! We take life for granted and I'm thankful for your reminder. I just know your brother was as cool as you are if he sent a list of things for you to get....I would have done the same!

Betty Manousos said...

i'm sorry that you don't have your brother i wish i could live close to you so i could give you a big hug...

thinking of you today and sending positive thoughts your way.

xx

mypixieblog said...

What a beautiful post this is and a wonderful tribute to your sweet brother. He looks like such a good man in these photos; and I love that, though Thanksgiving now holds new meaning, there are new traditions you are introducing to your family. I'm sure that wherever he is, he is incredibly proud of you.