1.30.2012

Looking Back, Moving Forward

Stepping down. 
Those 2 words? The words I have been waiting for seven months to hear. 
Stepping down- as in stepping down from my current eating disorder program, and stepping back into my life- though it will be as a better, stronger, and happier me. 

The last several months of my life have been crazy. To recap, in mid-July, I entered an Intensive OutPatient (IOP) for an eating disorder. I've had an eating disorder for 12 years, sought treatment, made a bit of headway, and slipped back into the slippery slope of the disorder again and again. 

In May 2010, my current therapist suggested that there was little else she could do for me in the setting we were in, and that I would benefit from another program. She sent me to the Emily Program. 
(Won't lie, I was not upset about not seeing her again.)
It took me until August to make an appointment (you know, maybe my ED would cure itself before I had to go elsewhere, right? I thought I would give it a try), and until early October to see a new therapist. After my first meeting with him I felt the most hope I had in years that I could actually beat this thing.
However, even meeting once a week, he was unable to push me far enough ahead. I simply did not do my menu plan, didn't track (write down the foods I ate), and follow his assignments. (say it. I know. I am a teacher and I never do his assignments. I like to think it allows me a little control. He just jots down little notes, which I imagine say things such as, "Sara continues to show rebellious behaviors, control tendencies, and has very cute boots on today.")

(p.s. on that...Can I note that I hate it when therapists make those little notes on their files? I can't stop wondering what he is writing. Did he note that I mentioned that the picture on his wall was just a touch crooked? I mean, who is he to say anything about OCD tendencies? I have never, ever  seen that man with even a slight wrinkle in his clothes. He looks like he stepped out of an dry cleaners every time I see him.)
p.p.s. I do ask him what he writes down sometimes. I never get a straight answer out of him. Actually, he never answers anything, just asks me questions back or shrugs his shoulders and waits for me to "figure it out myself." Fine. I just sort of think for what I am paying him, he could just tell me what to do sometimes instead of all this self acualization stuff.

Back on subject here. (Confession: I still have the tendency to get off topic once in a while.) 

I went through the shame and embarrassment of telling my friends and family I needed IOP to recover. I had to face my principal at work and tell her I needed to take a medical leave to do treatment. Had to face the questions, the comments on how I "don't look like I have an eating disorder" and "I've seen anorexic people, and you don't look like that." I had rude comments said to/about me, ignorance showed by others. 

It was scary. Sitting in the room the first day, I was so angry and upset. I looked at all these other people around me and thought, "I am not one of these people. They are all worse than me. There has been a mistake, I do not belong here." I thought for sure I would be sent on my way once they got to know me.  (Or possibly stay for SEVEN MONTHS)

I had to sit in a room day after day, week after week, with strangers- some of whom became dear friends of mine, so of whom I will never wish to see again- and spill my feelings, my urges, my food journals, everything. 
I ate foods I've never tried before. (Enchiladas, quiche, carrot cake, coconut pancakes, banana bars {eewwww}, blueberries, madarin oranges, to name a few) 

I cried, broke down, fell backwards, cussed. 

I watched others come and go- some back to even more intensive programs, and some who were healthy enough to move on- while I stayed. 

I joked nearly everyday how I wanted to be done. I had all the recreational therapy I could ever need or want thankyouverymuch. They laughed back and told me to sit down. 

I got my life back. Slowly, over the months, I emerged from the eating disorder and began to seperate Sara from the eating disorder. I found new interests, abilities, hobbies, friendships, laughter. I felt better, with more energy, rested, better able to focus (fine, for me that is relative), and happier. 

I do still struggle. I do still hate my body and fight against it. However, instead of the eating disorder winning every time, I now win some of these arguments. I don't obsess over food, restrict, and cause harm to myself as much. I am headed down the road to recovery slowly but surely. 

In two weeks? At almost exactly my 7 month start date? I will exit out of the program and move forward. 
I'm ready. 
I'm nervous
excited
scared
optimistic

and glad. So very glad I went through it all, took the chances- took a year off from my job, worried about health insurance, money, appointments, driving, what I was doing to my family, all the details that go along with something of this nature- and did it. 


Because? Having my friends and loved ones tell me how much they love the changes I've made, how much healthier I am, and feeling so much better about myself is a gift I should have never denied myself so long. 


Thank you to all who walked on this journey with me, from the beginning, and continue to do so as I move to the next leg of my journey. 

p.s. My friend Jess from the program also has a blog. Hers is way more real than mine- she even uses grown up words. I love her raw honesty and drive. But- I do not and will never miss doing rec therapy with her. 

post signature

41 comments:

Mrs. M said...

This is so exciting, to be moving forward and getting things back on track. I am so thrilled for you and your future!

Amanda said...

Hooray -- well done!!

bobbi said...

YAY!!

Congratulations! What a huge and scary step to have to take, but how sweet it must be to be coming out BETTER on the other side! :)

Kristin said...

Hell yeah! Keep on keeping on, sister! May not seem like it (because we dont even technically now each other! Ha!), but I'm behind you all the way!

Congrats and keep it up! :-)

The Stiffs said...

So so proud of you!!! I'm excited for you too. Now, no pressure but would you please blog more. Start with the therapist ;)

Stephanie said...

Oh sweetie GOOD FOR YOU! Glad and healthy. These are great words to read in this post:)
Hugs

Di said...

You go girl! SO proud of you! Woo Hoo!

Emma said...

Well done Lady. What a massive achievement! Excited to see what comes next for you xx

susan said...

I am so proud of you!!! Congrats on stepping down! I knew you could do it!!

Teamarcia said...

Your second to last paragraph made my week. No it made my month! I'm so happy things are going well enough for you to leave the program. All good wishes for continued healthy eating and much success to you. And of course lots and lots of very cute boots. : )

Audreya said...

So incredibly proud of you!!

Liz Mays said...

*standing and cheering* Bravo, bravo!

Impulsive Addict said...

GOOD FOR YOU! This was a very neat post to read. Now, because of you, I will NEVER AGAIN joke about wanting an eating disorder. I have the opposite problem. I'm a food addict. But I have a handle on things for now.

Congrats for exiting this program and screw those mean girls that you work with.

Jess said...

I'm glad too! And SO PROUD of you :) P.S. we missed you in rec. therapy today! (even though I'm sure you're not regretting not having been there! lol)

Annsterw said...

Congrats and stay strong!!! Sooooooooooo proud you faced it all head on!!!!!!!!

King J's Queen said...

So excited for you!!! You deserve to be really proud of yourself. Keep up the good work!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, I am SO HAPPY for you! It sounds like you really are coming out of this so much better off and on the road to recovery! So glad you went through with it and took so many risks to jump into an intensive program. I know it was a huge decision to make. I can't imagine putting life on hold like that, but it sounds like it was worth it! YAY!

Bari said...

I'm so excited & proud of you! Big squishy hugs my dear.

Anonymous said...

So proud of you and happy for you, Sara. Enjoy this moment and remember it when the days seem long and road seems to far. You can accomplish anything!

Lady Mama said...

That's amazing news - congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself. I think all your readers here are. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are brave, courageous and beautiful. I've learned a lot about eating disorders and struggles and that these things don't always look the same.

I know you're ready to step out and take charge of this thing. You can do it.

angmartini said...

Congratulations Sara! You deserve good thing in life : ).

Barbaloot said...

You are amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us. And for showing that it's possible to conquer things. And that it's okay to get help.

"Cookie" said...

You freakin rock!!! How awesome is this. I swear one day we will meet in person. :) What a wonderful testament you have. Those that ingnored you or talked crap.... let them look at you now and wish they could be standing beside you.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

You are amazing. I'm so proud of you!!!

Jen said...

Good for you! And thank you for continuing to share your journey with us.

Meg said...

You are so inspirational girl. Keep doing what you are doing!

Furry Bottoms said...

I am so so so so so proud of you, Sara.

Emmy said...

Congratulations. So happy that you made it this far and that you are able to leave the program. And so so good for you for taking the time to do it right and to realize that you needed to do it right.

Foursons said...

So proud of you Sara. I know this wasn't an easy journey and you wanted to fight it every step of the way, but you did it and you should be VERY proud of yourself. I look forward to seeing the new you!

Tara said...

So very proud of you for sticking it out even when it would have been way easier to just give up and go home. You are such a strong person and a great example for others!

Miller Racing Family said...

I am so proud of you. What a role modle you are for your boys. Can't wait to read the next chapter of your life. Blessings.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Congrats on all the hard work and improvement you have made!

Helene said...

Yay!! Go you! I'm so proud of you! This is huge!! So happy you took the time to take care of yourself!!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, Sara...to struggle for so long and now to have made it this far is really amazing! I'm so happy for you :)
xo

Val said...

I'm so happy for you my friend!! Hugs.

Jessica said...

Congratulations! Admitting it to everyone must have been incredibly hard. You can do this. :)

Simply Complex said...

Yay for you miss thang! I'm so glad you are almost ready to tackle this back at home with your family!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

yeah my friend! You have done an amazing job with this program and I am so happy for you to be moving forward in a better direction! I have all the faith in you!

Kameron said...

Change is scary but good. I am so glad that you are working to overcome this despite the people who may not understand what you are going through!

Angela said...

I read this as soon as you posted it but failed to comment. So sorry! Know that I am always cheering for you and wishing you the best :) I am so glad that you are overcoming this difficult disorder and you are learning so much. Thanks for being so honest in your journey.

Don't forget this, "Because? Having my friends and loved ones tell me how much they love the changes I've made, how much healthier I am, and feeling so much better about myself is a gift I should have never denied myself so long. "

That's inner power Sara! I have confidence in you :)