2.06.2013

Haven't had a Sara Rant Lately, have we?


I was just sitting there (or not so much sitting, as flying around the house doing 90 things at once), ranting away in my head, when it occurred to me, "Sara, why are you ranting in your head? You have a blog! Rant there!"

So, here I am. 
Why am I ranting this time? Well, it is not really a "rant" so much as a "letting loose of my thoughts on an issue." 

And by thoughts, I mean feelings. And by feelings, I mean my own. 

It is more of a sadness. I have been listening to other people talk about counting calories, watching how many calories are in different items, how many they are eating per day, and all that "Become Healthy in 2013" jazz we hear so much about at the beginning of each year. 

And it makes me sad. 

Yes, you can lose weight counting calories (or some can). 

But it is stupid. Trust me. I counted calories for over a freakin' decade. 

And I regret every calorie counted. 

When has it been decided, other than by the diet/weight lo$$ indu$try that drives only to take $billion$ of dollar$ from us each year, that we - personally- get to tell our bodies how many calories it needs each day? 

I could argue on the both sides of the case, why we need a certain amount, what happens if we go over, or any other aspect of it. But the bottom line is still the same. 

Our bodies are supposed to (heck! Even designed to!) tell US how much and what types of food it wants. 

My body KNOWS if it wants carbs, fats, proteins. It knows if it wants to eat, what time it wants to eat, and when it is full. It is my mind that has a harder time with it. But, when we count calories, it is our mind telling our body what it wants and can have. 

To me? That sets you up for trouble. At least if you have a mind like mine. (Which sets me up for trouble in a lot of areas, but that is for another time.) Our minds and bodies can have different goals. Our mind wants to achieve perfection, while our body wants to run properly, provide us with energy, and keep us healthy. 

Ugh.

It may or not make sense, and I know I rant a lot. But for me? The truth? 

I know women, lots of women, who count all sorts of calories and track all sorts of numbers. 

I know women who don't count calories, eat what they want, feel guilty about it, maybe beat themselves up a bit for it, but don't bother with numbers. 

Which ones are more fun to be around? Which ones actually look and feel better? 
An acquaintance of mine has counted her calories for years. She has been trying to lose the same weight for years. She tells me about how she lost 5 pounds (or whatever it is), and how she has X amount to go. Truth? She looks exactly the same to me as the first time I met her. 

Honestly? She has beaten herself up for years, denied herself food for years, and fought this for years, and looks the same? 

Me? I eat what I want. When I want. Huge chunk of carrot cake with icing 1" thick? Sure. 
Peanut butter? Don't mind if I do. 

I weigh 10 lbs or so less than I did this time last year. (I don't really keep track, but the dr. does and that was the last #) Because my body tells me what it wants and I give it what it needs. Am I happy with my body? Have I ever been? No. 

But I don't fight as bad of a battle as I used to. I don't beat myself up for enjoying food. I listen to my body. I let my body tell me what it wants, and not the other way around. 
I still fight it, having an eating disorder for over 12 years doesn't disappear in a year (or two...!) 

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. Sometimes I feel like the next person who mentions calories in front of me is going to get whupped. (Why don't I use that word more often? I am going to have to incorporate that in my daily vocabulary.)
  
I don't know it all, and won't pretend to, but if you ever want to chat, feel free to contact me. 

     

post signature

24 comments:

Di said...

Wait, theres calories in food?

I've always eaten what I want. I figure as long as I'm making healthy choices most of the time the occasional splurge is fine.

Since I can wear 3/4 maternity jeans 6 months pregnant, I think my body will agree with me!

Di said...

*non maternity jeans (stupid phone!)

Amanda said...

See, for me I have to count calories because my internal meter, that part of my body that tells me what it needs, has malfunctioned. It malfunctioned to the extent that I weighed 200 lbs back in the fall of 2006.

What got me back to where I needed to be was counting calories, and that's how I remain in that neighborhood. Well, that and being as active as a born-and-bred couch potato can be (read: minimally, but not inert).

I do have to say, I think I'm still fun to be around ;) I'm not a slave to my food calculator. I enjoy my meals out, and I still view food as a part of an evening's entertainment. But over the holiday I took a complete break and managed to pile on 14 pounds.

How? Well in part, I make a darned fine pound cake, if I do say so myself, and I enjoyed it (okay, them -- there were 3 baked over the course of December) thoroughly, among other delightful foods.

:)

My point? We all have our demons. For some of us it's over-counting. Others of us (me me me!!!) it's under-counting. And baking. Oh, the baking... So, to keep myself on track, I track.

It works for me, and it absolutely does NOT work for everyone, because everyone isn't me.

Hugs, chica.

Sara said...

AMEN! I just wrote a post along the same lines recently. Nice to see you writing! :)

Sarah said...

This was a good kind of rant! I hate the calorie counting stuff, and hate hearing people talk on and on about calories. Because if they really do need to lose weight, they just have to eat the right kinds of foods, not torture themselves counting every calorie that enters their bodies. Ugh. And so true about those people who spend their whole lives struggling to lose weight by counting calories, and never actually change at all! Can't they see that what they're doing doesn't work?

Of course all this is coming from me, who like you spent years obsessively counting calories... I used to actually write it down and I would plan the whole day's worth of food ahead of time to make sure I only ate a certain number. It makes me feel sick thinking I was like that... But, no more and I am infinitely happier and healthier now!

Unknown said...

Good rant! I feel like if you are making good food choices when you eat, then you are doing OK. I don't count calories either. I will look at portion size and calories on food that is bad for me and splurge items, just to know.

I am bad at measuring myself. That is usually what I use to keep myself in check. If my measurements are creeping up there, then I know I need to adjust my eating. More so than the scale. Also, if my legs are getting bigger but my waist is getting smaller or staying the same, I know I am gaining leg muscle, but if they are both going up together, then it is not good. My legs fluctuate a lot depending o how much cycling I am doing vs how much running. Yes, I am kinda nuts sometimes.

Barbaloot said...

I needed to read this. Today is one of the days that I get bugged at myself for eating junk. Junk that I didn't even want to think about counting in terms of calories. Another day where I promise I'll be better tomorrow...

I'm going to try harder to listen to my body instead of my mind. Or my stress. Or my emotions. Or my boredom... :)

Bari said...

I know I needed to read this. I'm in a calorie counting cycle but it's because I tried listening to my body and I gained 15 pounds. I hope I don't get stuck in this cycle. I'm definitely having issues with going out and socializing. It is what it is.

Tara said...

I've done a little calorie counting, but I felt like I was starving all day. It was a lot of work, and I didn't lose a whole lot either. I lost some, but eating that few calories over the long haul was impossible....for me anyway. Sometimes I can't eat enough, and sometimes I tend to starve myself. I guess that balances to be a happy medium.

Jess said...

AMEN!

bobbi said...

YES YES YES YES YES!

That is all.

Oh, and you are the bomb.

(will you be in Duluth this June?)

Furry Bottoms said...

Hi!!!! Sara!!!! Happy belated Birthday, by the way!!

I've never really counted calories. Or if I tried, I wasn't very efficient in it. I thought THAT was my problem. But after reading your rant... great insight by the way... I'm thinking this over differently now. Hmmmmmmm

Bdubs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Match said...

I'm a huge proponent if everything in moderation. I like to stay active and work out (normally, while pregnant I just walk) because my body feels good afterwards. I've found if I try to diet and count calories I gain weight, because I end up binging. But if I just give in a little, watch my portion sizes, I feel great.

Tawanda Bee said...

Thought you might appreciate this timely post:
http://stylesubstancesoul.com/2013/02/anne-lamott-on-turning-help-thanks-wow-into-hips-thighs-waist/

Deborah (aka Tawanda Bee)

marie said...

This is a safe rant. So many times I have rants in my head and think, I should just write a post. And then I think better of it :)

I counted calories for a few months, the worst months of my life. It doesn't work. I mean in theory it can but oh my goodness it is such a joy sucker. And I was starving, so I guess I could have gotten into my old jeans but the price was too high, being hungry all the time? No thanks. Weighing chicken lame, waste. I realized my body is a better indicator than numbers will ever be.

Val said...

I don't count calories and this post we all need to read.

Emma said...

I'm trying to get better at not doing this and trying to listen to my body instead of my mind. I will get better at it because I want my daughter to be able to eat a piece of cake without feeling guilty about it all damn day!!!! x

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I wish I didn't have to count calories. I haven't figured out how to really listen to my body. I need to lose weight to be healthy and my choices are not working without the counting. It won't be forever though.

Emmy said...

LOVE love it!! Very well said. And yes we do just need to listen to our bodies and if we feed our bodies well and good and keep listening to them then they will "talk" to us even better with better choices.

Liz Mays said...

I'm a total calorie counter! That's how I lose weight, BUT now that my weight is down, I count to make sure I eat at least the amount I need to eat to maintain my weight because it's too easy for me to slip.

So I guess you're just gonna have to whup me. ;)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I have the same philosophy as you. Add in some healthy workouts, and I never gain weight. I'm happier that way. Much happier than when I was a teen and starving myself.
Hope you're doing well!

LBDDiaries said...

Good good point! I lost 50 pounds last year and I wasn't counting calories this time. I ate right and since we got of processed foods, I've quit craving things not good for me (i.e., bags of Jelly Belly beans). I actually - unreal - crave broccoli and my fancy brussel sprouts! Life it too short - we need to enjoy it more!

Emily said...

Le plus premier geste vif wow gold de warcraft un des aspects les plus importants du jeu a assez d'or. L'or a un effet important sur votre jeu de jeu, vous pouvez les utiliser pour acheter et vendre des articles. Aussi, dans le Monde d'or Warcraft peut être utilisé pour l'entraînement. Si vous voulez apprendre de nouvelles adresses, vous devriez pour payer des frais à l'entraîneur. Voici quelques buy gold wow bouts qui vous aideront le Monde de ferme d'Or Warcraft. une profession le meilleur avantage vous aurez. Vous êtes en mesure de niveler votre profession facilement et gagner ses avantages. Deux profession qui dans a hautement parlé extrait et skinning, vous pouvez la peau les animaux et leur vendre aux vendeurs ou à d'autres joueurs avec une somme de charge agréable de profit, en même temps que vous tuez des wow gold generator animaux et d'autres caractères.