4.24.2013

Earth Day 1/2 Marathon(whining) Recap

I ran a local 1/2 marathon this past Saturday. First of all, let me say how amazing it was to see the number of "Run for Boston" shirts out there. I love how the running community (and country as a whole) have banded together in support of Boston. It is amazing. 

Now, for the (whining)recap. 

I had a sore throat during the week. Thursday night, I started to get a dry, cotton-y (is that a word? Because spell check doesn't seem to think so, but I say that if people can say ROFL, I can say cotton-y .) {and no, I don't get all whiny when I am sick and start to say things like "I can say that if I want too."} (In fact? I've never been less whiny than I am now. #forreal) (Besides, if I were going to whine, I'd whine about the lack of font color choices on blogger.)

As I was saying...I wasn't feeling the hottest on Thursday night and Friday. We had a snow day (that's right folks. SNOW DAY on APRIL 19th with 12+ inches of snow). I wasn't at all worried about running with the snow, because generally it melts pretty fast and the streets are clear. Then? Friday night we had a Foundation Dinner - 80's night.


I think I could have gotten my hair a bit higher, but I'm letting it go. 

 Moving on. I got up and drove to the race. I had about 13 layers on because I wasn't sure how I wanted to dress for the weather. I ended up being too warm in my core, my fingers cold, and my face was FREEZING! 

I felt "off" the entire time. I got a side cramp at mile 1.5, and it stayed nearly the entire race. I felt sluggish, slow, and COLD. At the water stops? The water had a layer of ice over the top! Mile 2-3 had a ton of ice and snow and I watched a few people wipe out. One lady grabbed me as she was going down, but we caught ourselves. A couple times, between miles 10- 13, I actually closed my eyes for a few paces because I was so tired.

I spent nearly the entire race angry at myself, because I was not running fast enough, I didn't feel strong, I felt like stopping... on and on. At one point, I swore I was done with races forever, because what is the point of doing it if I am not improving my times? 

I finished (at 2:00 on the mark), which was 53 seconds faster than my last year's time, but slower than I wanted. I was upset the whole way home and rest of the evening. We headed up north right after I finished for a night at a waterpark with my in-laws, nieces and nephews. I was so sick by late afternoon I could hardly take it. Sunday morning? I felt like my head was going to explode and I could hardly talk. (Cue the fun of a noisy water park!) 

Slept all of Sunday afternoon/evening and Monday (except for a short interlude of watching Karate Kid. First time seeing it. I could hardly take it- wondering if Daniel-son was going to make it.) 

My friends have told me to relax. Not be so hard on myself. I was sick...all of that stuff. I am trying but it is still hard! I am my own worst enemy with things like this. 

That's all the whining recap I have for now. I'll be off hitting the Cold-eeze if you need me.  



post signature

19 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

Running in the snow?! Girl you are amazing! Growing up in Oregon, I ran in the rain countless times, sometimes even hail, but never snow!

Love the 80s do!!

bobbi said...

You gutted out a half marathon sick and in the snow and ice.

Just think of how well you'll do once you're healthy and mother nature is FINALLY off the rag!

Bari said...

Running while sick or even getting sick is just not fun. Doing so in crappy weather conditions just adds to the suck. It sucks when this happens but I'm sure your next race will be much better. Now, rest up and keep at the cold-eze stuff.

The Stiffs said...

I would never even attempt running on ice and that is way better than any time I would ever hope to have. Consider this a swift kick in your arse! You are a champion running while you're sick. Go get 'em next time!

Teamarcia said...

...and we were roasting this time last year. Ugh. I still think you did fine given the conditions and not feeling great.

Amanda said...

I'd say you earned all the whining you wanted to do. Snow and ice? A half marathon?

Things with which I have zero experience, and never will.

Plus you were sick????

You rocked, girl. Whine on, if that's what you'd like!

alison said...

may i just say how amusing i find all of your asides in parenthesis?? they made me laugh :) after reading this, i feel a little wimpy for being on the fence about running my first half next february because it MIGHT be cold (and by "cold", i'm talking low 40s....no snow....no ice...imawimp). as for the sickness, i totally empathize with you there. i have a sinus infection with a bronchial kicker....and i'm supposed to be getting ready for a mud run in 2 weeks that is going to kick.my.tail. :(

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love your 80s look!

And no, don't be hard on yourself. Seriously. You did great.

Barbaloot said...

First off---seriously, your first time seeing Karate Kid? Like, the original or the Jaden Smith one? I hope the original cuz it's way better, but I also hope the Jaden Smith one cuz how could you not have seen the original before?!

Anyway.

Second--does it help if I tell you your running posts totally inspire me? I mean, sometimes I think I actually wanna start running again! Sometimes.

Foursons said...

You are a rockstar. It is about 58 here right now and I'm not going for a morning run before work because that is way to cold for me. I'm hoping it will be warm enough by noon for me to go run when I am out of work. Seriously, I don't know how you do it.

Jen said...

This snowy spring has really sucked. It sounds like you were miserable...that's no way to run! Hope your next race goes better :)
xo

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You did great. I would have curled up before the race and not run at all. Love the 80s look.

Melissa @ Faster In Water said...

OMG I loooooove your 80s look!!! Way to rock a half in less than ideal conditions. Go girl!

marie said...

I am hard on myself for many things, but not for running. I consider it a win if I do it, I never keep track of time. My husband put Strava on my iphone but I take my dog and between a few stops, backtracking, putting on his leash at crosswalks, I doubt it's that accurate. I could leave the dog at home but what fun is that?

LBDDiaries said...

Running a marathon while sick is a superwoman thing to do - and you're complaining? STTTOOOOOPPP! Those of us who don't run marathons in the snow while sick? Or in the sun? We don't want to hear it. We think YOU ARE AMAZING! You should think so, too.

Emmy said...

Girl you are too hard on yourself! I am such a wimp when it comes to conditions I will run in, I never would have done it. So awesome you did!

Julia P F said...

Try emergenc C. It's a packet of vitamins you dissolve in water. Totally helps head off colds. Great job finishing since you felt like crap. That's pretty bad ass.

Val said...

You are amazing and I love the look =)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I'm kinda digging that picture. You rocked the 80's look!
You are amazing, no matter what. I have no urge to run in the cold!