4.21.2010

Another Car Story

Yea, I've shared a few of my Bird stories with you all. All the fun pretty much lucky I am not dead times we had in that car. However, it was not the only car that brought me good times.
Seeing some radiator fluid on the tar yesterday took me back....

Borrowing dad's car as a junior. He had just gotten it back from my brother borrowing it for a week, so naturally he was a *bit* worried about it's condition. He was thinking there might be something wrong with the (actually not quite sure, but something engine like).

"Sara, please don't take the car outside of town. I don't want you to break down anywhere and get stuck."

"Never dad! In town I stay!"

• • •

2 hours and 60 miles later, my friend and I jamming along to the radio
"come on and ride it..."

I smell a sweet scent. The car starts to act funny. {raise your hand if you saw that coming!}

Quits.

I make it over to the side of the road.

My friend and I look at each other. The car. Each other.

We pop the hood. There is an impressive stream of green liquid coming out of something.

Oh...s.....

Now, this is back in the day. Before cell phones. We are out in the middle of somewhere slightly urban, on the side of the road. At 8:30 p.m. and it is getting cold.

We sat there for a bit and nobody stopped to help us. Right as we were getting ready to walk, a police car comes along and stops.

We explain to him we are having car trouble, and going to go walk for help. He answers, "okay, be safe walking at night along this road."

....and drives off.


So...two 17 year old girls have to walk over a mile to get to the nearest gas station, where I got the privilege of calling my dad to tell him the "news."

He is so darn proud of me.

post signature

42 comments:

The Stiffs said...

Love the car stories!

Loukia said...

OMG! Scary and hilarious and totally something that would happen to me! Gosh... remember the days before cell phones? HOW DID WE SURVIVE?!?!?

Kristina P. said...

What a kind police officer! :P

Jamee said...

Glad the police officer was concerned for your safety! LOL

Mrs. B said...

I can't believe the cop didn't help you! haha!

Lori said...

I'm sure that was a really fun phone call to make:)

What kind of useless cop was that???

Lori said...

I'm sure that was a really fun phone call to make:)

What kind of useless cop was that???

Trish said...

me me...I saw it comin' I had my hand raised high!

Mrs. M said...

You were so brave, even if you did seem to always get caught! I am sure you have plenty of stories where you DIDN'T get caught too! :)

{Kimber} said...

what kind of cop does THAT?!

NIKOL said...

It's really luck of the draw when it comes to police officers, isn't it? Glad you were okay, at least.

Audreya said...

If anything, I think my police officer husband might be all too willing to give two 17 year old girls a ride! :-) Just kidding - he's generally well-behaved but I can think of a couple other officers who really would be like "Sure, hop in!" in a creepy, non-helpful way! :-)

Overthinking Mama said...

wow.. great cop!

King J's Queen said...

So that's where you got your love of running. You learned to run from the possible axe murderer who might have busted the radiator.

:-)

Liz Mays said...

You know, you really gave your dad's unconditional love for you a workout through the years! LOL ;)

Meeko Fabulous said...

Buah ha ha! That's classic! I can't believe the asshole cop didn't offer to give you guys a ride! WTF?! Is chivalry dead???

Kmama said...

WTH kind of cop would just leave you?? Holy crap.

honeypiehorse said...

Get out! Was it Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrain or something?

AiringMyLaundry said...

Rude cop!!

Nicole said...

that is scary!!! what the heck kind of cop would do that!? that is horrible. and 8:30pm is getting dark and late. I remember one time I was so nervous driving for the first top I tried to turn around in a median, on a highway, and i got stuck, without a cell phone, and then proceeded to hitchhike lol luckily it was a nice woman who let me call my dad from her apt! (before everyone had cell phones) i'm glad you survived!

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

Oh man!!! The police man left you all alone!!!

Amy said...

Oh I love that story.. My friends and I took my car out to get fake I.D.'s. I know and I let my friend drive my car and some how she flattened both of my tires. We had to call a teacher from school to help us out so we did not have to tell my parents. Crazy times...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the police officer didn't give you ride!!!

Michelle said...

That is awful. I can't believe the cop didn't stop and help you guys.

More Than Words said...

LOL, you were so busted!!

And I can't believe the policeman didn't give you guys a ride.

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

So funny! I can't tell you how many times I had to eat crow and call my parents. Thank God they were so laid back and didn't make me fear them in any way. We still laugh about many of my antics to this day!!!

teacher girl said...

Please write a book. I'd like to reserve one now. You are hilarious. And so is your life. :o)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That's some stellar police work.

Anonymous said...

I remember doing stuff like that. Now all I can think is "My daughter better not try doing that to me!"

Something happened to me. Help, please.

Kaci said...

HAHAHHA oh my heavens...not funny but it is. Sorry. I have similar stories about my ORANGE Nissian. LOL!!!!!

Sara said...

I hope that cop caught his business in his zipper later that evening.

Serves him right.

Chandra said...

Yes the car broke down..but you didn't go out of town, you did what he askd right?

What was the song? Was it "Cmon ride the train"? Just curious. Great Song! LOL!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

WOW, what a nice cop. That is horrible. Glad you lived to tell us the story. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great guy! Well glad you survived! I have something for you over at my blog. Come and get it!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I can't believe the cop let you keep on walking. Times sure have changed!

Roxy said...

seriously...this is where the axe murderer fear comes from! Shame on that police officer!

loved that song too

Alecia @ Hoobing Family Adventures said...

Why didn't the police officer help you???

It honestly sounded like the beginning of a horror movie.

Anonymous said...

What a great police officer. I can't believe he left two teenage girls just to walk to get to a phone.

Amy said...

Have a great week....

Tracie said...

Kudos to that officer. Your dad and my dad could have some big conversations about their daughters' behavior back in the day.

KK said...

wow, that cop was worthless, huh?

kanishk said...

I'm sure that was a really fun phone call to make:)
post free classifieds