11.30.2010

Back in the day...

Last week, after posting my Gem of a figure skating picture on Facebook, one guy, obviously person commented, "I can't believe you actually posted that! LOL!"

Serious!? I believe sufficient time has passed since those days. Those days of...
BIG GLASSES AND A HORRID, AFWUL, TERRIBLE, NO GOOD SWEATER my mom forced me to wear for my 8th grade school picture. (Why, why did I not listen when my friends told me to rip it off right before the picture!?)

Fine. As this picture proves, given the opportunity to dress/style myself, I didn't do muchany better.
Those bibs were in! They were HOT! I rocked them. Fine, laugh at me. I mean, look at my frizz bang things!

Luckily, by my 10th grade year, I had the whole "cool" factor down to a science. Yes, the red hair, big eyebrows, weird zit formation, make up under the eye look.

It is a good thing I firmly believe that it is important to laugh at yourself, right? It is hard not to, being that today? I am fully able to take a great picture, no question.

Have one to share of your own? Let us know in the comments, so we can laugh enjoy those rockin' teenage years with you.

post signature

46 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Didn't we all look like that, back in the day! I think it was required to get perms and puff up the bangs. I also had giant dorky glasses.

Christopher said...

Ha, i like them.

Anonymous said...

LOL Oh my gosh! I dont ever want to look at my teenage pics again. EVER.

Yours arent so bad... You do look kinda cute in those bibs... LOL

Sarah said...

Oh man, those are great pictures. I'm so relieved I'm not the only one with pics like those hidden away! I was so, so awkward and unattractive in my middle school years. Painful. But by high school I had myself all sorted out :D

Cool Gal said...

OMG!!!! I have to play along next week. That first photo and the one of you in tenth grade...Yowsah! LOL!

I absolutely LOVE that you post these and can laugh at yourself. It's funny how we end up figuring out who we are suppose to be and stop following the "trends" we weren't meant to follow in the first place (Hench the red hair. For me it was blonde. Yikes! Think "Madonna" in the eighties.).

You must keep doing this post every Tuesday. It's the best!

Kelli said...

I don't have access to any of my photos, but I promise you there is one gem I'm glad I can't get my hands on because I'm stupid enough to post it as well. It was Christmas, I was sitting in a recliner in PJ's and the photo was taken from the floor level. I was all elbows, knees and feet! This HUGE foot takes up so much of the photo! Can you say gawky? It was awful.

The Stiffs said...

All my pictures are off melting in an attic in KY, for this I am suddenly grateful! I had big glasses for a while, a brace face and huge hair. Gotta love the '80's for that.

Trish said...

oh gosh, I think we all looked a hot mess back then...ugh!!!!

Kmama said...

Ahh, those are hilarious! I love those bibs. I had a pair of those myself. They were pink. LOL

Sarah Jane said...

Oh, I will never share. I will never share.

The Mother said...

Us High School ugly ducklings are better off than the high school beauty queens. Their looks fade; we come into our own.

alison said...

i have curly hair....no one else in my family has curly hair so i was left to my own devices back in the day. therefore...every school picture of me EVER looks like i stuck my finger in a light socket because no one told me that you do NOT b rush curly hair!! thank goodness my godmother got ahold of me when i was about 14 and introduced me to some great curl products. i will say that when the big teased up bangs were in...that i ROCKED those ;) and for some reason, no one felt it appropriate to introduce me to a set of tweezers so my eyebrows rivaled brooke shields's. i'm sure there are some pictures somewhere...locked away in a deep dark vault!

Tara said...

Yes, I wore the big glasses but thankfully, I can say that I never wore bibs. They are hideous!!

I do a pretty good job of laughing at myself but I'm not sure I'm at the point of showing my pictures from back in the day just yet.

Furry Bottoms said...

I remember when those bibs were so IN!!! Carol Seaver on Growing Pains would wear that on the show all the time!

I do have a 8th grade picture of me in a horrid sweater... I need to look for it!!

Di said...

I really, really need to borrow that sweater. See we're doing a ugly sweater day at work in December and that would totally rock it.

There is an awesome picture of me somewhere where I just woke up after having my wavy hair cut short, living in Florida, in the summer. I looked like a Q-tip on crack!

Lori said...

I love it when people share these retro pics - just love it!! And we ALL have one. We may not share it but we all have it:)

Jen said...

Scariest post ever!

Kidding.

Maybe.

;)

Mama4Real said...

I have a kid's musical on VHS where a girl is wearing almost the exact outfit as your "bibs". Hair style and everything. Pretty funny. I had the side curl bangs too, but I'm pretty sure I've destroyed all the evidence.

Foursons said...

I love the cool factor in your 10th grade year w/little hearts all over your shirt. :D

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

We all looked like that, girl! I always laugh at how dorky I looked in all of my school pictures!

"Cookie" said...

You're awesome! Love it. I'm looking and trying to find some pics of back in the day.....

Sarah MP said...

OMG- that is hilarious! Too bad we couldn't post pics back to you. That would be awesome. Those bibs are hilarious!

NIKOL said...

I love the bibs so much I can barely contain my glee.

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I think we ALL had those big glasses. :) And we thought we were so hot. HA!!!

Lindsay said...

Love. The. Pics.

I do not have any of my pre-teen or teenage year pictures here at my house. However, I tell everyone (shout from the mountaintops) that one of the creators of Ugly Betty knew me back in the day.

I had horrible braces, huge red glasses, and bad frizzy hair. About 15 years before that show even began.

Iva Messy said...

ha! so cute! ;)

Barbaloot said...

I had the big, round glasses and a perm for at least 10 years! I don't have those now...but I'm still not convinced my awkward years are over.

Amy said...

You are such a pretty girl. I can see that pretty face in all of your pictures.. You are a beautiful person..
Have a nice night..

Shell said...

No desire to drag those pics out. OMG, was I ever awkward.

Here's to NOT peaking in our teenage years!

Missy said...

Back in the Day. My husbands favorite thing to say before he bores us all to death.
You are a brave woman!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

My early teen pics put yours to shame!

Unknown said...

Oh man. My mom still has all my growing-up pictures. I have some pretty sweet pics. Yours though, are AMAZING! I never had the big glasses, but wish I did, just so I could have a rawkin picture like yours.

mrsashcake said...

ha these are awesome!

too bad mine are all stuffed away in boxes in my mom's scrapbook room... or maybe not so bad! haha

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

You rocked those glasses. And yes I have some similar photos of myself.

Cheeseboy said...

It's nice that you were sporting the "teacher sweater" in 8th grade before you even knew you'd be a teacher. I need to get me one of those!

Lady Mama said...

Hahaha! Sorry. I agree, it's important to be able to laugh at yourself. And we ALL have those shots we want to bury ten foot underground from younger years!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have glasses or braces but that might have helped me out to draw attention away from my hairspray plastered bangs. My kids are now entering their awkward stage, ugh.

Nicole said...

awww you look great in the 80's pic! I love it! Love the bangs! I have old pictures but to get them on my computer I'll have to take a photo when I'm visiting my mom next time and post them. I had awful awful photos I mean like sprayed 4 inches high and teased with my cavareechi pants awful. lol laughing definetly helps when i look at those pics! :) I love one of last ones of you with your pixie cut! cute cut!

Jazzy said...

Heye didn't I just see you wearing those bibs last week?????

Love ya girl!

Mrs. M said...

I look at most high school girls today and think they for the most part look pretty darn good. I wonder how those looks will translate in 20 years. Someday I will post all my amazing looks - I was a beaut for sure! :)

Vanessa said...

I got the same reaction from a (MALE) friend on FB when I posted one like that of myself too! A) It's not like I look like that anymore and B) EVERYONE looked funny at some point! ;-) BTW, I think we would've been friends. :-D (Except I think I'm older than you, so maybe we would've just nodded in understanding to each other while passing in the halls.)

honeypiehorse said...

Wow. You blossomed. I remember those awful balloon pants that came up to the ribcage - ugh! Even worse with suspenders. One of these days I'll consider posting my senior portrait...it's not pretty.

Brynn said...

i'll have to look for one. won't be hard...i think i know just the one. i'll find it and scan it in to show you i'm a good sport.

and sara, i'm sorry to break it to you, but you STILL wear those sweaters. HELLO...remember the vest post? total cosby. don't worry though. in my picture, the sweater i have on (with stirrup pants, i might add)is long, pastel, and covered with sparkly geese. that's right. because THAT is how i rolled.

Together We Save said...

Oh I love these old photos!! I totally remember sweaters like those!!

Cassie said...

There are no words for the way that I heart you for posting these pics.

Your my hero!

mypixieblog said...

I love your old pics because they remind me of all of my ol' photos... they're tucked away somewhere, but I'll find 'em. Thanks for posting these!!! You're my hero, too. :)