A couple of weeks ago, I had a dentist appointment. I had the rest of the day off, my mouth hurt and I was numb. I decided to go home and take a nap before I had to pick the boys up.
Now, it was the middle of the day.
No big deal, right? {That's what you want me to think.}
Here's my thought: I do not need to be afraid of Ax Murderers during the day, right? An Ax Murderer would come at night. Because that is when Ax Murderers attack. They like the night.
However...
Burglars? They strike during the day.
They work by day.
So I am home alone, during the day.
Burglars strike by day. {This is when a smart burglar, having staked out your home for 2+ weeks, knows that you are at work. They have the perfect opportunity to drive their white, windowless van up your driveway and rob you.}
Problem: I am going to take a nap. My bedroom? Cannot see the driveway from it.
What if a burglar comes to rob the house while I am trying to nap?
Burglars are not ready for a homeowner to be around, so they might attack me. Do I crawl under the bed and call 911? Cry? Attack them?
Should I not take a nap? Do I need to stay awake and stay vigilant?
Like I said, I haven't put a lot of thought into the matter, but I may ask for a stun gun for Christmas. or some guts


44 comments:
Naps are just too awesome to pass up. Maybe a guard dog would help, lol.
We've been burglarized before, and they all struck at night. So know you should worry about the axe murderers and burglars.
Since reading your ax murderer post I have become a little freaked out at night...especially when I hear creaks, thumps, or any noise out of the ordinary. So yes, a stun gun might be on my list now too lol!
I'm thinking you may have put a little too much thought into this.
needless to say...you didn't get the nap!
We have an alarm system...use it ALL the time...especially at home alone w/ boys. PLUS our Golden Retreiver...he barks and sounds MEAN!!!
So maybe an alarm system!
I am such a crazy wuss. I set my alarm during the day to put my mind at ease!
I freak out about stuff like that, too. Especially when Hubs is out of town, like he's going to be for most of the week. Every little sound completely freaks me out.
When my husband travels on business, I hide the listening end of a baby monitor under my dining room table and keep the other part--and my cell phone--next to me while I sleep. I figure if anyone breaks in, I will hear something and be able to call police before they realize I'm home.
Stun gun, definitely. But then again, you have to be pretty close to use it. Tranquilizer darts maybe?? That's all I've got.
Quick fix those little alarms that go on doors and windows not commonly used for like 20 bucks at Walmart or Walgreens.
I have the same phobia of burglars when the weatherman works his set of 7 overnights. I just don't sleep for the week.
I was actually medicated after little dude, it was dubbed Post Pardom Paranoia because I was soooo scared of someone going to try to kidnap my little dude while I slept.
Oh your poor thing! I feel your worry! Although, during the day I'm usually AOkay and will even stay home alone with my door open! As in, unlocked. You must think I'm crazy, right? I know, I know, it's so unsafe. Well your worry must have totally ruined your nap!
Time to get a dog, preferably a big one!
Any burglar that's chicken enough to try and rob you during the day would totally run away if he ran into a snag. Seriously-I have not doubt that you could kick their trash.
LOL!Thanks for making me laugh!Any burglar that woke me up from my nap would def regret that!
honey, i'm truly amazed that you can ever fall asleep at night. :) i do think that a "smart" burglar would decide to leave you alone, because with all the energy you've put into thinking about these scenarios, i'm sure you have some "killer" (no pun intended) defenses planned.
so did you ever get a nap?????
so the other morning ben got up, kissed me bye, and went to work. i stayed in bed and fell back to sleep. this is a normal happening around our house. but when i got up, the door was open about two inches. i came downstairs and our living room looked like it had been ransacked. and then i remembered that's how it normally looks! so i checked every closet and behind every door and thankfully there were no strangers in my house. i figure ben just didn't shut the door all the way and the wind blew it open. that, or someone broke in, took a look at my messy house, and decided it wasn't worth it and left!
I think you need to call ADT. Then, maybe you could sneak in a nap and a good night's sleep. LOL!
Ha, glad I'm not the only one who worries about everything! Get a dog and take a nap :)
Yeah, but if they've been staking out your house they know you're there and won't come in. Unless they're the axe murdering kind that only strike at nice. So I wouldn't worry too much. If you have one of those back doors with a tiny window however I would board it up, that's the most common way these guys get in - break the window, open the door. Smallish windows in hard to hear places are bad.
I have an alarm system. Ithink that s a good solution!
hugs hugs
We have an alarm system. He is from The Czech Republic, weighs 120 pounds and drools....ALOT. The monthly maintenance is about $45 in food and an occasional shoe that gets destroyed.
Just get one of these badboys sitting on your front lawn and you should be good to go.
You and I think too much alike.
Nope you are not anxious at all. Not one bit. And you're not at all like me either. Not one bit. :)
you really should see a therapist about this....just sayn'
:O)
Two words. Booby traps. Set them up at your front door so you will be awakened when they try to break in. Hopefully it will scare them off and gives you time to call police.
I've had the same thought process!!! I don't like sleeping while home alone, but I still do it!
No worries, thieves won't park in your driveway. They'll hide the getaway car. ;-)
Just get a dog. Mine barks at every old lady walking down the street.
-FringeGirl
OMG!! You are a hoot!! I take naps on the couch, so I can defend my kids if someone decides to break in. After reading this, maybe I should sleep with the gun tucked under the couch. :) Thanks, one more thing to make me nervous and cause me to take a pill.
It sounds to me like you HAVE put a lot of thought into the matter! lol
I always think of this when I am running. If it's early in the a.m., then I'm good because the bad guys would be asleep still. Or would they be just getting home? At night, it is too early for them to be out yet right? Right? It's a good thing to have a dog sometimes.
How do you ever get any sleep? Maybe a large dog would be a good thing!
yeah...I saw guts for sale on isle 10 at Target JUST LAST NIGHT!!!!
baaaaahaaaaaaaa YOU ARE SILLY!
Girl you just crack me up. You are a runner so you could go running and they would never catch you. I hope you took a nap..
Don't you have an alarm system? I do. Mine is tweaked especially to detect werewolves.
U need pepper spray under your pillow. Axe murderers HATE pepper spray.
Big Dog - Loud Barking. Axe murders and burglars hate that. Don't know about ghosts though- I don't think they are afraid of dogs. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow. Glad I have a big dog so I'll be able to nap.
ok here's what i would do...take my cell with me, and hide under the bed, call 911 and leave the phone on so theycan track me. then just stay there...on second thoughts, thats kind of popular to hide there...ok i'd hide in the front of the bed, between the mattress and the headboard (i saw that on fringe!) ps i'm off to read your yoga post!!
I think about things like this too.
Okay, I live at home with my three kids. No hubby. Just me and my three kids. Granted my one son is 18 and slightly bigger than me, but sometimes he's gone visiting the bio-mom.
I don't always REMEMBER to lock the front door when I go to sleep at night. I never, ever, ever get scared. If I hear a bang, I assume it's the dog outside, or the wind, or something else and I roll over and go back to sleep. I live way out in the boonies, yet still - not scared.
I know - I'm weird. You'd NEVER make it in Scottsville, Sara. Never.
Mwwooo ha ha ha ha!
You might want just get some guts for Christmas, the boys could get into the stun gun. ;)
I totally made my blog a three column blog!!!! I'm so excited about it. BTW, check out my new contest!
Mandi
sleep on the couch. :0) that's what i do.
Interesting! Me and my wife were having this conversation the other day...we dont have a home phone- just 2 cell phones. What happens if someone breaks in and the phones are downstairs? Yikes!
Great site btw!
Shane
OMG you think like I do! I just keep reminding myself that these things are statistically so rare that the stress of worrying is probably more dangerous.
Great blog!
Post a Comment